Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tuners, machine heads etc...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Fenderflame, Jun 4, 2018.

1. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Meister

Nov 14, 2010
    Santa Barbara
    I find locking tuners unnecessary and don't like more weight or complication but they're OK and some relay on them in their setup routines, so, OK. Cheap tuners are simply not good. They get slippy and imprecise fast, and feel bad, too. Respectable names (except Kluson, IMO) are all OK. Frankly, none are really all that good until you get up to the boutique models -- it amazes me that no one is putting out a true quality unit at a really good price. So: avoid cheapies; decent mainstream brands = OK but not really great; expensive models by reputable makers are good. Great? Absolutely none that I know of. I always go with the best I can afford, but have never come away "wowed" at all. What junk, really.

viccortes285 likes this.

2. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    I like Planet Waves locking self trim tuners. I have them on 2 guitars and they are 18:1 ratio so they are easier to make fine adjustments with and they have no backlash slop.

Never buy cheap crappy tuners.

DrASATele likes this.

3. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    It might be a pain to get them where you are but the Sprezels are excellent tuning machines. I've been playing them since I was 18 I put them on my first G&L S500 and then I had them installed on all my guitars.

viccortes285 likes this.

4. Lokkochaa

Lokkochaa TDPRI Member

Oct 7, 2016
    Sheffield UK
    Gotoh and Grover are good for the price. I would always buy a branded set of tuners, whether it be £20-£30 more or if a customer has a specific set in mind.
    Only ever used locking tuners on trem loaded guitars, some of the designs are prone to pinching the strings and breaking them during install.
    Amazon and Axesrus have some good tuners, as does ebay.

viccortes285 likes this.

5. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    I am accumulating the parts for my own Micawber build and of course had to lay in the same Sperzels as Keef. That's a great angle on that shot.

But these will be the first Sperzels I've used. I have had good luck with most all the tuners mentioned here. The Schaller lockers are the most "precision" feeling, but probably the heaviest too. By far my best value has been the Wilkinson vintage style. Can be had via eBay for around 20 bucks, are light weight and look good and hold tune.
    Rex

6. knockeduptele

knockeduptele Tele-Meister

Dec 15, 2017
    London

Found it hard to fault the GFS Sperzel Copies as a good value for money workable tuner - particularly like the staggered heights as I can get enough winds to be comfortable on the 5th and 6th strings

7. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Aug 22, 2016
    San Francisco Bay Area
    The cheap Chinese ones on eBay are ok. I’ve used them. That said I replaced them and a few of my other guitars with the Fender “F” locking ones. On eBay for about $45 USD, or about $40 if you buy 4 or more sets. I also like the Planet Waves ones mentioned for a little more. Got them on my Gibson LP.

8. Jackadder

Jackadder Tele-Meister

Jun 12, 2014
    West Australia
    Those GFS tuners look identical to the Jinho lockers, aside from the staggered posts....strange no ratio for the GFS tuners are given on their website; the Jinho's are a very smooth 19:1.

9. knockeduptele

knockeduptele Tele-Meister

Dec 15, 2017
    London
    GFS ones feel more like 15:1 but hard to say just on feel, but they are on a par with most of the more reasonable kluson types that I have been buying in for years and are just a useful part

Jackadder likes this.

10. Fenderflame

Fenderflame Tele-Holic

Aug 2, 2013
    Mid Sussex, UK
    Thanks for all your help on this guys.

Pulled the trigger on these:

IMG_1055.JPG

At £38 (I guess about $50) it seemed a reasonable mid-price option.

The plastic buttons on the old ones had perished and I had already bought one set of 4mm buttons that wouldn't fit. I'm with you all the guys that said that I don't need locking tuners for a non-trem guitar but the speed of string changing is more the thing for me. As I'm changing the tuners I might as well step up a little in quality.

11. cleanheadsteve

cleanheadsteve Tele-Meister

Mar 4, 2010
    Arkansas
    The most important harware to me is tuners and pickups. Good sound, in tune, and the rest can be manipulated however. (Sand neck, level frets, smooth bridge, etc.) So good tuners are very important to me. However...great tuners are not so imporyant. Once my guitar holds tune, anything better is a waste of my money. Sometimes I'll buy a $50 pawn shop guitar simply because someone has upgraded the tuners and pickups.

double_a likes this.

12. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Very well said regarding the "Good vs. Great" consideration!
    And a good lesson to all us incorrigible modders - always save your original parts so you can put 'em back in if you sell the guitar. You never get your money back at resale - don't be that guy that puts the $100 guitar on the market with $95 worth of upgrades still on it!
    I got an Epiphone HSS strat clone for $39 bucks that ended up having a Fender Atomic humbucker and two Custom shop Strat Texas Specials, a Squire Standard Tele for $115 with CS Texas Specials, a beat up Aria for $40 with two vintage double cream DiMarzios, and a USA Peavey Predator for $100 with three Fat 50's. I love those kinds of finds.

Rex

double_a and Tonetele like this.

13. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia

14. Fenderflame

Fenderflame Tele-Holic

Aug 2, 2013
    Mid Sussex, UK
    I couldn't agree more.

I've just fitted them and they are superb.

Discussion ended...

double_a likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.