Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tuners, machine heads etc...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Fenderflame, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Fenderflame

Fenderflame Tele-Holic

Aug 2, 2013
    Mid Sussex, UK
    Hi All

I need some new locking tuners for my tele and I'm trying to work out if the brands are really worth it. £80 for Schaller or £25 for a copy.

What say ye?

2. Jackadder

Jackadder Tele-Meister

Jun 12, 2014
    Western Australia
    I'd say Jinho lockers are worth every cent of the $50AUD they go for on eBay.... once I smoothed the tips of the locking pins they have worked flawlessly. Just bought a 3rd set...

Jinho.jpg

LutherBurger likes this.
  3. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Nobody needs locking tuners, for one thing. They just make string changes faster. Go for Gotoh / Grover level if you want to save a bit of cash. I have used them all, I would avoid the super cheap stuff but anything that for instance Stew Mac sells is pretty much fine.

4. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Gotoh was a brand suggested to me as a reasonably priced option when I mentioned that I might want to change to locking tuners.

5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Depends on your purpose.

If you are chasing the 'better tuning stability' ghost then you will find it's not the tuning machines. Check the nut! Or make sure you are always 'tuning up' your guitar not trying to hit pitch on the way down -- which builds up slack in the system that comes out the first strum. If you are down tuning you need to drop a half step lower and then go back up to the target pitch. Lockers can't fix this.

If you are seeking faster string changes then change the method you put strings on. I learned from a touring roadie to put the string on at the bridge, wrap 3-4 times (4 for the unwrapped strings) around the post then thread through the tuning post and tug tight where you will only have a few turns on the machine to get up to tension. Almost as fast as locking tuners.

If changing for smoother feel the ebay 'grover' $20/set work well.

6. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I will just say that I love Hipshot tuners, whether locking or not. You can get them with the universal mounting plate which requires no new screw holes. I typically get mine for $50-60 USD/set. Beautifully made and they work fantastic, whether you are going for look, feel, tuning stability, faster string changes, whatever.

John Nicholas likes this.
  7. Fenderflame

Fenderflame Tele-Holic

Aug 2, 2013
    Mid Sussex, UK
    Thanks Ripthorn. Hipshot are around $90 here in UK...

8. HesNot

HesNot TDPRI Member

Aug 3, 2017
    North Carolina
    I quite like locking tuners - essential? Depends on the guitar it sure helps with a trem system - probably not with a hard tail. But it does make changes easier. I have three types - PRS, Gotoh and chinese unbranded. The PRS is fantastic - but for readily available I'd do Gotoh again they are smoother than the chinese ones (which do work however but the $ for the Gotoh would be worth it to me)

9. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    No offense, but they really, really don't help with a trem or without for staying in tune. The reason the PRS is fantastic is because PRS guitars have perfect nuts and a well designed headstock, not because they use locking tuners. As one example, I have an import PRS with non- locking tuners and I've installed a Hipshot bender on it. Even after bending all practice it still stays in excellent tune.

oheare and archetype like this.
  10. s_tones

s_tones Tele-Holic

Nov 10, 2013
    central CA
    I LOVE locking tuners!

11. Meteorman

Meteorman Tele-Holic

Dec 23, 2012
    State College PA
    Sperzel lockers.
    Good enough for Keith, good enough for me.

[​IMG] by

Barncaster, SacDAve and DrASATele like this.
  12. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2013
    Southern Missouri
    I used to have Gotoh Vintage tuners on my guitars for many years. I recently tried a set of HipShot Open Gear 18:1 tuners and I will never waste money on those Vintage tuners again..
    The HipShots are light years better.. There is one online outfit that even lets you order them with whichever Key shape you want. (they are interchangeable about 10 different styles) link below.
    http://www.sporthitech.com/hipshot-grip-lock-6-in-line-staggered-post-chrome-locking-tuner/

John Nicholas likes this.
  13. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    That's who I order them through. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer over the course of 10 or so orders.

14. There are a lot of good locking tuners out there, then there are Schallers. Works of art in a league of their own. My go to for every build possible.

15. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    That's okay-I don't need the guitars I installed them on, either... ;)

16. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I have locking tuners on 3 of my guitars - 1 each of Sperzel, PRS, and Gotoh vintage-looking ones. They all work fine except I have realized I hate the Gotoh Vintage-looking ones since it's harder to change strings with them than with regular tuners. I have owned and used / installed Planet Waves, Grover, and others as well. I have a set of Schaller locking up in my bits box, too. But none of them help you stay in tune in the slightest. Certainly ofthe guitars I have now, the most tuning stable one has the Hipshot non-locking type. Second best has the PRS Phase 3 lockers. Not that it matters. Tuning stability is 90% or more about the string encountering friction in the nut. Fix that and your guitar will stay in tune.

17. Frodebro

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    My standard tuner equipped guitars stay in tune just as well as the ones with lockers. They're just not nearly as easy to change the strings on. When you break down the cost of quality tuners, lockers aren't much of an upcharge. Add to that the number of string changes over the lifetime of the guitar, and to me it's a no-brainer.

18. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    So we pretty much agree then...

19. Frodebro

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    I think so! For me, if a guitar has decent tuners on it I leave them there regardless of whether they're lockers or not. But if they're garbage and need replacing anyway, lockers it is.

20. viccortes285

viccortes285 Tele-Holic

Jan 14, 2017
    Phoenix
    I love locking tuners, I have 3 on 3 different guitars.
    IMG_0615.jpg these are on my Tele (plant Waves.
    IMG_0562.jpg
    On my Kesiel CT 624
    Last is on my 22 year old DC-127 Carvin IMG_0666.JPG

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.