Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tuner Question

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by fishingjude, Aug 31, 2017.

1. fishingjude

fishingjude TDPRI Member

Jan 24, 2011
    California
    I have a 2 classic vibe teles that I am wanting to look like 70s teles. I have always liked this look. Here is a picture of them. I want to put the Fender f style tuners on but was not sure if they would fit or would I need to modify the peg hole? The tuners on the guitars work good enough but I would like the look of the 70s tele. Thanks

DSC_0245.jpg 69Tele05.jpg

2. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    You just want to see the F on there? Or that shape of the casing as well?

Believe me...I ain't judging...just trying to understand.

Changing tuners to different shaft/hole size is easy. To make the hole bigger, you just need a cheap hand reamer, a few bucks at Harbor Freight. It's real easy to do. To make the hole smaller, it's just a cheap bushing.

The problem is the screw holes. And if you have to drill new ones, probably, and in the future go to a totally different type of tuner, you got holes galore showing.

3. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Mar 17, 2003
    albany, ny [not chicago]
    Those F style tuners are not very good, so while it may be an upgrade in the looks department, it's a downgrade in the quality department. I think the bushing size is the same, so you won't have to ream out the holes, but as Ira7 says, you'll have screw holes in the wrong place that will be visible, and there's no going back.

Kluson has a set of diagonal-mount tuners that have a high-quality sealed tuner on a diagonal plate. The problem is that they don't look at all like the 70s F tuners.

http://www.wdmusic.com/kluson_revol..._no_collar_6_in_line_chrome_kftnc_3805cl.html

Schaller makes a set that look similar except for a script S on the back instead of the F. I'm not actually certain if these are better than the Fender ones.

https://www.allparts.com/TK-0759-001-Schaller-Diagonal-Mount-Keys-Nickel_p_3637.html

ukepicker likes this.

4. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Athens-GREECE
    They are MUCH better (made in Germany) the Fender ones are Taiwanese and yes they are low quality compared even to the cheap Ping tuners of the CV.

5. fishingjude

fishingjude TDPRI Member

Jan 24, 2011
    California
    Thanks for the info . Sounds like more trouble than its worth. How about grovers?

6. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Do you dislike the ones you have now just because of the looks?

I think they look great.

7. fishingjude

fishingjude TDPRI Member

Jan 24, 2011
    California
    The look is fine . I was going for the 70s look . They are the ones that came with the classic vibe stock. I was wondering if grovers might be better as far as keeping in tune.

8. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Mar 17, 2003
    albany, ny [not chicago]
    The Grovers likely won't hold tune any better or worse than what you have now.

The vintage style tuners do sometimes go bad, mostly when they take a good bump and things get loose. It takes a looooong time for the to go bad through normal use.

9. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

90% mistaken post.

The Schallers with the diamond shaped cover are possibly the worst tuning machine out there, short of the "Trapezoids" Fender used to install on cheap MIM and MIK Squiers from decades ago. ANY vintage style tuning machine with a rectangular body is IMO evidently better.

CVs don't use Ping tuners - they have their own source. They're not bad; one IMO of the nicer things on a pretty nicely made guitar (that's marred by a too thin neck).

MIM Fenders (except for the Jimmie Vaughan and CP 50s Strats) that use rectangular vintage splits, use Taiwanese made Ping machines. So, the only thing Nick got right, is that some Fenders use machines from Taiwan.

To the O.P.: The spacing is super critical on the diamond shaped covered 1968 and forward die cast tuning machines. They don't even all use the same spacing, and there are a number of variations, and you will have exposed leftover screw holes from your existing stock tuners, showing on your headstock. Please, leave your existing tuning machines as they are.

11. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Athens-GREECE
    I thought that CV & MIM models used the same tuners (yes I know that they are Ping tuners,I believe that all tuners are now Ping tuners even the locking ones on the Elite series and non locking modern ones in the Pro series)

I recently bought,for a friend who couldn't order things from abroad due to the local capital controls , a set of Fender F tuners that had a HUGE "Made in Taiwan" on the package :lol:.

They were so horrible that my friend wanted to try the Schaller ones

https://www.schaller-electronic.com...es-70-s.htm?ITServ=akhovtupe9sh5u4f4flanedli7

so we ordered a set

https://www.thomann.de/gr/schaller_f_series_70s_left_nickel.htm#bewertung

They were night and day compared to the Taiwanese tuners,WAY,WAY better and also cheaper than the Taiwanese junk we bought in the first place.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017

12. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    My MIM 69RI has genuine Schaller tuners - but it's 1999. When I had my '78, I pulled one of each apart. They were identical, except the 78 had longer shafts because it's headstock was thicker. Under the pressed cover is an alloy cast chassis the gear drive clips into. You can disassemble them into individual bits. They were so close I could swap the internals from one into the other. The casting and hardened gear in both was a smooth, tight fit.

They use a bent copper clip/spring to control endfloat and both guitars held perfect tune I pulled the TL out tonight for practice and it was in tune, untouched since last week.

Maybe look for a set someone removed from an early MIM.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.