Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Tuner Holes in headstock!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by paulswifka, Feb 28, 2012.

1. paulswifka

paulswifka TDPRI Member

Feb 17, 2012
    Chico
    Im trying to figure out how I can put in Fender Tuners or locking tuners on a Squire guitar, but I have to drill out the holes because, well most of you know the holes for the Squire are smaller than the Fenders, I was curious what size drill but to use to make the holes bigger...thanks
    Paul

2. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    Actually my Squiers all have larger tuner holes than my Fenders, and need adapter bushings for Gotoh vintage tuners.

In any case, the tuners you buy should have information as to what size hole to drill packed with them, or online. There's no way any of us could know, not knowing what tuners you have.

3. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Friend of Leo's

Sep 7, 2010
    whitebird, idaho
    TDPRI member Thighbanez was in search of such an animal. You might send him a PM and see if he found something that will just drop in.

Good luck!

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. supernewt

supernewt Tele-Meister

Feb 16, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    In my experience there are two sizes of tuner holes - larger for modern and smaller for vintage style as I recall - and you just buy the replacement that fits.

6. yz250f49

yz250f49 Tele-Holic

Mar 30, 2010
    Alabama
    I used a tapered reamer when I upgraded my Squiers to better tuners.

You don't want to use a powered drill...

Do a little at a time from both sides until you can fit the new tuners in.

[​IMG]

7. Yes, and no. There tends to be 2 sizes (large and small) for import necks and 2 sizes (large and small) for domestics. And sometimes the MIM hole sizes are more import and sometimes they're the same as the USA models. The holes may LOOK the same but they're merely close, sometimes.

From what the OP is saying I will guess he has an import/vintage sized hole. If he insists on enlarging the hole, I would go for 10.0 mm (also known as 3/8ths) and get there with a Reamer and not a drill bit of any kind. There's a "Hansen" brand reamer sold by Irwin which is USA made and sells for just under $ 10.00. Recommended, and found in most real hardware stores (not big boxes like HD).

8. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    Different tuners are going to have different size hole diameters (I like Sperzels on some of my guitars, vintage Kluson styles on my Teles), which should be specified on the packaging depending on which tuners you settle on. If the packaging is lackaging (sorry, had to...lol) the information should be readily available once you actually know the specific tuners you are going to use. Beyond that it's a simple matter of drilling/reaming out to that size. Hopefully if you are already handy enough to be planning on drilling we don't need to instruct you further in that regard... ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.