Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tubes for a 007

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Randypttt, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Randypttt

Randypttt Tele-Afflicted

Feb 8, 2010
    Elyria Oh
    I've had my Bassbreaker 007 for about 3 years and feel like it might be time to change out the vacs. I've been enjoying it with the GTs that it came with so haven't put much thought into what else might sound better or last longer.

There's been no change in tone or noise but I thought I should be prepared in case things blow up. I know some here changed them before they even plugged the amp in as a matter of course. Not knowing what might be a better fit I'm asking everyone for some advise.
    And, no, I don't want to spend an arm or leg. Maybe the GTs are good enough. Any thoughts? Thanks

asnarski likes this.

2. WineCaster

WineCaster Tele-Meister

Jul 12, 2012
    Oshkosh, Wisconsin
    I would buy one spare of every tube in the amp. Do some digging into what other people have to say about certain brands of tubes to decipher what might be best for you— otherwise you’re just going to get a handful of forum members listing different brands with no rhyme or reason unless they’ve used them in the exact same amp you have.

I highly recommend having at least one spare of every tube you might ever need.

3. Syrinx

Syrinx Tele-Meister

Aug 7, 2016
    Champaign illinois
    I put jjs in mine. I routinely get rid of the gt tubes and keep them as spares-not due to the quality, but rather I just like to know what brand i am using. There was a tonal change in my amp with the swap. I would hardly say it was dramatic-but the JJs sounded a bit warmer, and the harmonic content was greater-made amp more responsive. I would say the change was not as dramatic as the speaker breaking in. Try a few pre amp tubes in V1 as suggested above-there are just as many people that would change my tubes to gts and see the opposite of what I did- and declare it better, as there is no accounting for personal taste.

Randypttt likes this.

4. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

May 31, 2014
    austin
    I have a 007 combo as well. Been thinking about changing mine out also.
    Do you guys have any noise from your 007? I have a hum that gets more pronounced when the boost is engaged. Doesnt matter if i have a guitar plugged in or not.

Also, i am always curious as to what settings people use for their 007.
    I tend to run my gain between 9 and 12 oclock
    Bass around 7 or 8 oclock
    Mids from noon to 3
    Trebel about the same
    Master usually noon to 3 depending on if anyone else is home maybe lower

5. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2009
    georgia
    Glad you have been able to...Bond... with your 007.

6. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    I don't care for JJ preamp tubes in most amps, but have had good tone/life success with the power tubes.

Preamp tubes are very complex. Do a search and you'll eventually locate comparison charts with info on every common new-production preamp tube. I recommend using those rather than player recommendations, which are heavily weighted by amp used, music played, volume level etc etc

7. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Apr 2, 2012
    New Mexico
    Dad joke alert. :p

Richie-string likes this.

8. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    I'd go TAD or JJ in power amp.

TAD 7025WA in preamp

Yea, your pushing your luck on 3yrs on a el84 in a single ended amp.

Me personally I'd splurge a bit on real Tesla from KCA in single ended amp.

https://www.kcanostubes.com/content/nos-tesla-not-jj-el84s

These would be my pick, rugged, long lived little el84
    https://www.kcanostubes.com/content/nos-rft-el84-singles-pairs

Whatever you do on el84 by a matched pair if you can swing it. You'll probably burn through 2 el84 for every 1 set of preamp tubes.

9. Scaper2014

Scaper2014 Tele-Meister

Jan 12, 2014
    Stoke-On-Trent
    I ran Tungsols, JJ's, and the stock through mine when I owned the 007. Made no difference and the Groovetubes actually sounded best. However if they needed replacing due to wear I would just choose new production JJ's as they offer the most clarity and Bass production IMO.

10. Randypttt

Randypttt Tele-Afflicted

Feb 8, 2010
    Elyria Oh
    My EQ settings change all the time depending the style of music I'm doing or the guitar I'm using.
    You might start a thread on that subject. Might get some ideas from other players.

As for noise yeah I get the bassy hum most owners get. But I only record for my own pleasure and it doesn't seem noticeable on play back

11. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

May 31, 2014
    austin
    I actually ended up having a bad power tube. It finally bit the dust and i ended replacing it with a jj i got from a local music store.
    I can tell a noticeable difference. I will defenittly be changing out the two 12ax7s soon as well.

Here is a response i got back from WGS regarding speaker options for the 007 combo

For the 10” speaker in the Bassbreaker, I’d go with our Green Beret 10. This is one of our most responsive tens. Very punchy, full midrange, warm highs; you can’t go wrong with this one.

12. Fretts

Fretts TDPRI Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I have this same amp and just spent 3 weeks trying different things. I thought it had too much gain, so I tried a lot of different types and settled on a 12AY7 in the first position.
    During the experiment period, I tried 12AX7, 12AV7, 12AY7, 5751, and some oddball called a 2081. Some of them were NOS, some were brand new stuff. Once I was happy with the idea of the 12AY7, I went back and forth between JJ and Electro-Harmonix. I think those two are the only ones making new versions of that tube, so it limited my choice for new production. There's a hi-end stereo frenzy for NOS 12AY7, they cost hundreds each now so I'm not going there. It seems these companies have a house sound that all their tubes kind of share, so it may extend to 12AX7s if you want to stay with stock tube numbers. JJs are brighter and clearer, E-H Russian tubes are a little fatter sounding. I finally settled on the E-H.
    This little amp takes a beating when you run it the way we like to, with lots of power tube overdrive so it's no wonder the EL84 doesn't last too long! I happened to have several Russian EL84s I bought a couple of years ago on EBay, they are Reflektor Soviet military surplus. The ones I got sound absolutely great, but I know there are a lot of duds out there too.
    The speaker is another thing. Due to a mixup, I had two identical 007 combos for about a week. One had barely been played, the other showed a lot of wear for its age. The better sounding speaker definitely was the one that had been played a lot, so I kept that one and put in a new V1 tube and a new power tube. I think it's a great speaker for this amp. If it wore out, broke or blew up, I'd get another one and break it in by playing bass through it for a while, or "carefully" putting it directly on a variac to let the 60Hz hum loosen it up for a few hours. I know this sounds nuts but I am actually very careful not to overdo it.
    All the single-ended power tube amps I have ever had all hum a bit, it just seems to be something they can't get rid of. I think a push-pull power setup has hum-cancelling by design, but not the 007 with its 1 power tube.
    EQ settings - basically I found two. One for shiny, big deep glassy tones, the other for bad dog bark.
    Clean: Bass about 10:00, Mid about 1:00, Treble 8 to 9:00 Gain at about 8:00, Volume anywhere from 12:00 to 2:00
    Drive: Bass about 8:00 to 9:00, Mid maxed, Treble: 7:00 (zero), Gain - maxed, Volume - maxed. Do everything from the guitar.
    I don't even use the treble boost button but that's just me. This is for a Strat with a bridge humbucker.
    I have to say, I really like this amp a lot.

wblynch likes this.

13. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Ah Moneypenny, mix me another vodka martini

14. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

Not sure I have a tube for Bond ... But for Moneypenny, well perhaps I can help!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.