Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tube life on dimed preamps

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by atomfissure, Sep 25, 2017.

1. atomfissure

atomfissure Tele-Holic

May 31, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I recently decided that I prefer to use my amps distortion over using dirt pedals. Generally, I like to run into the Top Boost channel of an AC30CH with the preamp volume at about 75% with master to taste and use my guitar's controls for dynamics and to clean up, etc. It occurs to me that I could still do that with some footswitching capability.

Alot of people place a jumper from the low to high inputs of each channel to link them. I recently saw this video: in which the poster uses a volume pedal to blend in one channel on the fly. I'm thinking I could do something similar but with my tuner. I can plug into the top boost channel and use it as I normally do, but then put my tuner in the jumper line, and crank the normal channel volume all the way. That way when I want to bring the rock, I can unmute the tuner and let the cranked normal channel into the equation. When I want clean, I get it without running through bypassed pedals or buffers. Just straight into the amp.

Only trouble is, running the amp dimed will probably shorten the life of my tubes, perhaps considerably. My question is whether that will be attenuated some by the fact that though the normal channel is dimed, it will also be muted alot of the time. If the channel is cranked, but not seeing a signal is anything really happening to the tube?

I suppose another way to think about it is if there was nothing plugged into the normal channel at all and it was going totally unused, but the channel volume knob is all the way up, is that gonna eat through the tube faster than if it were at zero?

2. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Preamp tubes = NO.

Power tubes = YES.

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.