Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tube chart preservation suggestions

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by MitchJ89, Aug 12, 2017.

1. MitchJ89

MitchJ89 TDPRI Member

Jul 13, 2017
    Kalispell, MT.
    Hey there,

I'm picking up an early 60s deluxe next week. I'll be using it in the studio and live, and would like some suggestions on how I could keep the chart preserved in the amp (without trying to peel it off the cabinet).

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this.

What do you think?

2. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Don't. Anything you put on it will alter it and ruin originality.

You're in the right forum. And the way to preserve it is to not put stuff in the back of the amp other than the cord and footswitch, and keep the footswitch parts on the other side.

A question for you - did you have the amp inspected? Has it been serviced or are you taking it to a tech? If "no, no and no" - change the last one to "yes" right away!

Wally and JustABluesGuy like this.

3. MitchJ89

MitchJ89 TDPRI Member

Jul 13, 2017
    Kalispell, MT.
    Inspected and serviced. Unbelievably clean. Thanks for your advice.

4. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Good to hear. I'm actually glad to read you want to keep the chart in good shape - too many players let their vintage amps go to hell. But the best thing you can do from a preservation/value maintenance standpoint is simply be careful.

5. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    It has lasted well over 50 years this far hasn't it? Considering it is just a piece of printed paper glued to inside a hot box, its ability to survive is impressive.

Besides, you will likely treat it far better than it got treated the first 20-30 years of its life so I wouldn't worry much about it.

As a side note, I used to have an old '70's AMC/Jeep J10 pickup. The cruise control box was attached to the firewall with AMC labeled duct tape. After all the abuse that truck saw, it was still very serviceable when I sold it about 5 years ago. Old engineering can surprise you.

6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    I have done some judicious gluing to keep tube charts from peeling. When they peel, they are more likely to deteriorate further. White wood glue does a great job.....a little bit will do the job and one doesn't want to smear a lot of glue around there.

7. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jun 24, 2006
    Fort Worth,Tx.
    Some other way than this on e was treated. At least it still has the date code.

551101_479615695384364_854604253_n.jpg

MitchJ89 and Wally like this.

8. MitchJ89

MitchJ89 TDPRI Member

Jul 13, 2017
    Kalispell, MT.
    Oomph, that breaks my heart just looking at it.

9. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Get a piece of clear thick plastic that's about 2-inches larger than the chart paper all around; then, center it OVER the chart and staple (using a small hand-staple) three staples on each side AWAY from the chart.

10. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    If its mostly intact whats wrong with wiping a thin coat of varnish over it to seal and protect?
    I have a very large paper collage decoupage on plywood substrate that is nearly 50 years old. The ordinary clear varnish is still as transparent as day one. It has protected the paper collage very well.

11. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2009
    Central Missouri
    I probably wouldn't do anything to it. I would suggest to take a good photo of it and actually print it out. You could possibly write on the back of the photo any serial numbers or general info you would like. Make two copies, one in a ziplock in the amp and another in a safe place.

I do this with a few things in life. In a worse case, you have some proof if not at least a record of it. I hope this doesn't sound silly, but I often put my initials the day and price I purchase these things too, and often on the product.

12. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2009
    georgia
    Are you gonna play it, or stick it in a glass case and just look at it? I got over that sort of thing a LONG time ago. Its not like you gonna lose thousands on it. Enjoy and don't stress over it. Age adds character. Its what makes antiques, antiques. If you service it, it wont be "all original", to a cork sniffer anyway.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017

13. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.