Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Tube Amp White Noise ?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by bigdave65, Mar 26, 2009.

1. bigdave65

bigdave65 TDPRI Member

Feb 4, 2009
    texas
    what causes white noise not a buzz or hum just white noise that goes up with vol or gain, cant really hear it at bedroom level just turned up ?

2. Cleeve

Cleeve Tele-Holic

Feb 19, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Usually it's the plate resistors in the preamp. Carbon composition are usually what's in there, wirewound would be much quieter, but it's hard to make a wirewound small and cheap enough for the values needed, usually 1/2 watt, 100k ohm.
    see this-
    http://www.aikenamps.com/ResistorNoise.htm

I have found that replacing the plate resistors on the first two preamp triodes with metal foil types makes a huge difference if there were carbon comps in there to begin with.

3. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 13, 2004
    Garden City, KS
    Probably because your guitar isn't loud enough. Or maybe it's not plugged in?;)

Is the noise bothersome when playing or just when you're not?

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. bigdave65

bigdave65 TDPRI Member

Feb 4, 2009
    texas
    Its only when im not playing when i notice it, maybe its normal, this is the first all tube amp i have owned so im not sure, just curious .

6. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 13, 2004
    Garden City, KS
    It's normal, then. Tubes, and the associated electronics, are archaic by today's standards. If you're used to solid-state and hi-fi, the noise may be a bit bothersome at first but you get used to it.

7. Jenix

Jenix Tele-Holic

oh yes the noise, playing a tube amp and a telecaster i've tried everything available. Even bought an ISP noise decimater. The sooner you get used to it the better. Try moving to a new room and see if it changes though, my roommates tv gives me noise. Some lights do too.

8. bigdave65

bigdave65 TDPRI Member

Feb 4, 2009
    texas
    You know i guess i really didnt notice it till i moved into an extra bedroom, could be the ceiling fan or something, thanks for the advice !

9. f13ndus

f13ndus TDPRI Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    If you've got compact fluorescent light bulbs, they can cause a decent amount of noise... I noticed that when I put them in my practice room. I've got to place the amp just right to minimize it, and keep the single-coils pointing away too...

10. mlove3

mlove3 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 15, 2008
    Phoenix Az
    I like that white noise. and the smell too. nothing beats a tube amp. so far anyway.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.