Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tube amp warmup

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Ira7, Aug 26, 2017.

1. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    I'm more concerned with cool down...especially in the winter.
    I found a bunch of broken glass in my amp on a particularly cold night.

Mr Green Genes likes this.

2. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Ha! I missed it just like half mine get missed. I *should* have gotten it with the way I think. Or don't.o_O

Sporadic standby switch use doesn't hurt a thing - I used to do the same thing. Fans are a great idea when amps are on a hot stage for hours - or against a wall, which is a terrible place to put them because of the lack of ventilation.

Cool down is an oft-neglected and important point. Glad you mentioned it.

Most modern tubes are more rugged than they are good sounding! I've rarely had physical problems reported unless taken out & dropped or whacked somehow.

3. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 26, 2003
    Augusta, Maine
    If I start playing right away, my amps sound better after I've been playing for a few minutes.

But maybe it's just me that's sounding better.

viccortes285 likes this.

4. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2015
    Idaho
    It takes a few minutes for components to reach a stable temperature - resistors, tubes, caps, etc. Many of those components' values will drift slightly as that happens. Odds are that that temperature drift pushes the amp into that sweet spot you love, and you're not imagining things.

I swear my BFSR gets better after a few minutes on and played at a reasonably loud volume.

5. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 26, 2003
    Augusta, Maine
    I agree. I was just giving tech-heads with other opinions the benefit of the doubt.

Mr Green Genes likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.