Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tube amp warmup

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Ira7, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Do you have to raise the vol knob on a tube amp you want to warm up for 20 minutes or so without playing?

2. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    I would never leave an amp on at idle for 20 minutes to warm up.

3. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Holic

Jul 1, 2008
    california
    no, and no need for 20 minutes unless you need to finish your beer and pizza and wash your hands prior to playing your guitar.

play music!

viccortes285 and MA6200 like this.

4. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    No, but I do idle mine up for a few minutes while I get situated. Can't see 20 minutes.

5. tery

tery Friend of Leo's

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    No I do not adjust the volume - when I can hear it I'm good to go .

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017

6. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Hendersonville, TN
    I don't think you have to raise the volume but could leave it set as at sound check. Many concert type
    shows have the amps on around that length of time prior to set starting. Most if not all have amp with a standby switch or set similar with a pedal board switch or sometimes just the guitar volume control
    turned off.

Otherwise most manufacturers recommend 2-3 mins warm up time. Guess one could go hardcore and
    just turn it on, crank it right up and play away but most users don't.

7. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

the old TV's were tube amps.... we just switched them on and watched the picture tube warm up as the image sharpened and the sound got louder.... every day for years and years... no warm ups for the poor old TV tubes....

didn't hurt them ..

8. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Thanks, guys.

I always just turn her on and play, but after reading about people doing warm up time, I got it in my head that it needed a long time.

9. jackinjax

jackinjax Friend of Leo's

Sep 11, 2016
    Jacksonville
    I'm afraid I'm guilty of abusing my Blues Jr. I plug in, turn on, tune up and play.
    Please don't tell Fender about that. :oops:

AAT65 and LiteAsh like this.

10. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

Apr 26, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Yeah, I'm about a 3 min. guy. I turn it on "stand by" with the volume down while I'm tuning up which in theory prolongs the tube life.
    I also turn it on "stand by" for a few minutes before I completely turn everything off which is probably totally unnecessary.....but I do it anyway.

Bill Moore and Milspec like this.

11. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Some amps - Mesas and Marshalls - like a long, long warmup time. When I get to the gig I situate my amp and flick it on standby while we set up. Tubes are arguably most effected by cyvles - warmup and cool-off. When telephone exchanges were populated with tubes many of them were on for months or years 24-7. Often they were changed out by thousands of hours as preventive maintenance. I've got some tubes that test new like that.

Dr Improbable likes this.

12. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    It's interesting you mention Mesa.... I have a habit of turning on my amps early during my set up routine. It never really occurred to me where I got in this habit. But, now that you mention Mesa that might just be it. I had a Mk IV for almost 20 years as my only amp and it always sounded better after it had been on a little bit.

These days I am running several Fender amps and have found the tone doesn't change much, if any. But, I'm still in the habit of turning the amp onto standby and tuning my guitar, before switching it off Standby. Just hard to drop old habits I guess.

13. MA6200

MA6200 Tele-Meister

May 12, 2017
    Maryland
    I just turn the amp on standby when I first get ready to play. By the time I have the instrument out, get a pick, check tuning, etc., it's good to go.

Archtop Bill, RadioFM74 and Ricky D. like this.

14. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Tele-Meister

Aug 14, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I think I warm up for 3 - 5 minutes. Turn it on, grab a beverage, find a cord. My amp doesn't seem to like going form "on" to me banging around on it.

15. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    i warm mine up for a couple of minutes in the meantime i tune up and stretch a bit.

16. rebelwoclue

rebelwoclue Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 15, 2012
    kentucky
    +1

17. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think we all mess about a bit after switching on to allow most amps to warm up enough to start playing... :)

18. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 26, 2003
    Augusta, Maine
    Makes no difference to me whether I start playing right away or let it idle for a long time. Amps do sound juicy when they're running hot, but they get there in a few minutes no matter what.

I do leave the amp on for the whole gig or practice to reduce the tube wear caused by warming and cooling, and I don't use standby. One amp doesn't have it, and I had it disabled in another amp to make room for a master volume. Volume knobs are all you need.

For more on that subject, Google standby switch guitar amp myth.

This guy is fun:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
    tominwa, AAT65 and clintj like this.

19. Kojer

Kojer Tele-Meister

Sep 11, 2015
    Manila, PH
    Turn on and play, it'll take a couple of minutes for it to sound good though.

20. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Garner, North Carolina
    Once the heaters are up to temp, the amp is ready to go. If your amp takes a few minutes to get there, that part of the circuit was poorly designed- even if the rest of the design is great.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.