Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

TS9 vs. TS808: what's the difference?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by vedt, May 3, 2011.

1. woodrowman

woodrowman TDPRI Member

May 29, 2008
    Barberton, Ohio
    Hey, I understand that its all alchemy and .01% chemistry.

The voodoo we tell ourselves if half the fun!

2. vedt

vedt Tele-Holic

Nov 8, 2010
    North
    I purchased a TS9 yesterday to be used as a low overdrive / boost before my Fulldrive 2. The Fulldrive 2 is definitely a warmer pedal. So I already have some reservations about the TS9. Truth be told, if I didn't already own the FD2, I'd probably be perfectly happy using the TS9 as my main overdrive. But when I compare the two, the TS9 just doesn't have as much warmth.

So now I'm thinking I should return the TS9 and get either a Maxon OD808 or Ibanez TS808ri. I could send it in to Keeley for the ModPlus option for $60 that basically turns the TS9 it into an 808.

Or, since the TS9 was only $100 (which is why I bought it over the more expensive TS808ri, which was next to it on the shelf), I should just keep it. After all, the FD2 will remain my main overdrive, and I absolutely love my FD2. The TS9 is just there to add a little more punch before the FD2, or to be a slightly overdriven boost as a stand-alone pedal. I tend to run my Blues Jr. pretty clean, so even when I'm strumming hard, the amp really isn't breaking up.

So in reality, I'll probably keep it, and not mod it. Then, over the next 2 years, I'll purchase an 808, a Timmy, a clean boost, and maybe a Maxon OD820. And once I have all that, I'll spend an entire weekend doing an overdrive shootout and decide what to keep and what to sell. I've sold more than a few pedals in the past that I wish I'd kept (BD-2, vintage Small Stone, Fuzz Face), so I don't want to get rid of the TS9 too quickly.

Decisions, decisions...what would you do?

3. vanguard

vanguard Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2007
    Charleston, SC
    IMO, the RI ibanez TS-9 is one harsh sounding mother. i'd take it back, spend another $30, and get the maxon OD808. the maxon is BY FAR the best TS808 you're gonna get "off the shelf." in fact, i'll bet it'll make you question that FD II you love so much:twisted:

4. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    One man's "harsh" is another man's "edge";)

I have "warm" and "transparent" covered (and duplicated) with some great, but similar-sounding OD's, so I am thinking about getting a good 'l stock TS-9 back, for some '70's hard rock that it may be perfect for!

5. ZenDog

ZenDog Banned

Aug 3, 2010
    east coast
    Well, Ibanez, Maxon whatever. If that don't have the magic blue stripe diodes
    they're missing the thing that gives the original 808 it's (ahem) mojo.

Or you can pay Analogguy to do it for you since he's sitting on all that remains of those diodes.

6. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

Apr 26, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Fellow modded my Ibanez TS-9 for 20 Bucks with some internal razzle dazzle, (apparently), and plunking in a JRC4558D, (I think that's right), chip and a neat new purple light when it's stepped on.
    Sounds a little warmer and less harsh to my ears....smells the same.

7. ZenDog

ZenDog Banned

Aug 3, 2010
    east coast
    Probably tastes the same too, but I suspect it now speaks Japanese.

8. vedt

vedt Tele-Holic

Nov 8, 2010
    North
    After playing with the stock TS9, I’ve decided it’s just too brittle / trebly for me, especially compared to the FD2. I bought the TS9 to serve as a low-gain overdrive / boost before my FD2. I like stacking tubescreamers.

I’m going into Guitar Center tonight to try out the stock TS808 vs TS9 vs FD2. If the TS808 sounds good, I’ll likely go with that. But it’s $180! Whereas the TS9 was only $100. So am I better off having the TS9 modded by Analogman ($45 + $10 shipping) or Keeley ($60) to sound like an 808?

Again, I do love the FD2 sound. So if I could get something like that, but in a smaller compartment / without the boost, then I’d be set.

Part of me thinks that there is a better TS clone out there for cheaper (CMATmods Signa Drive, Lovepedal, JHS, etc.) that would blow away the stock Ibanez TS808. But alas, I have a $100 gift certificate to Guitar Center, and a TS or clean boost are the only two pedals I still need. I feel myself falling down the OD rabbit hole…

9. nickd

nickd Tele-Meister

Apr 18, 2011
    Yorkshire, UK
    My understanding is the 808 will be warmer with less harsh clipping.

I have a TS7 tonelok, and its the same circuit as the TS9. It sounds fine to me.

In anycase, most overdrives distortions can be changed greatly by using the tone and volume on your guitar.

noob: "I always have mine flat out, I don't need them"

10. vedt

vedt Tele-Holic

Nov 8, 2010
    North
    Just got back from Guitar Center, and the verdict is in. The TS808 is much closer to the TS9 than it is to the Fulldrive 2. Yes, the TS808 is definitely warmer than the TS9, but it's not as warm as the Fulldrive 2.

So I returned the TS9 and continue the search for a warm sounding TS overdrive. Next up: Visual Sound's take on the 808. The Jekyll & Hyde sounds great to me. So I might try their Route 808, or maybe the Double Trouble!

11. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    You might want to give the BBE Green Screamer a shot... supposedly very 808-ish and on sale for $40-something. And I bought a b-stock DeltaLab TO-1 that I think is pretty warm-ish too. :D

12. Fred Garvin

Fred Garvin Tele-Meister

Jun 18, 2005
    USA
    No differnce at all,none.

13. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    808's sound warmer and smoother and rounder.

Is rounder a word?

Rounder. I'm sticking with my simple description.

It's true.

The Luther Drive is another outstanding 808 style pedal. Hand made. $107.

14. nickd

nickd Tele-Meister

Apr 18, 2011
    Yorkshire, UK
    My green screamer should be here any day now. Won one for 60 AUD last week.

Looks promising.

15. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    Is promising....one of my favorites.

Did you get the older green and white block letter pedal or the one with the crazy airplane?

Please start a post with your thoughts regarding the new pedal. It's a good one (I think).

:D

16. vedt

vedt Tele-Holic

Nov 8, 2010
    North
    Hold on folks. I went into Guitar Center tonight and played: Jekyll & Hyde vs TS9 vs Sparkle Drive vs BBE Green Screamer

In terms of warmth: BBE > J&H > Sparkle Drive > TS9.

You'd think the BBE would be the dark horse here, and it is. But I just might have to give 'er a try.

17. nickd

nickd Tele-Meister

Apr 18, 2011
    Yorkshire, UK
    Its the older one with no jet on it, looks like a tornado fighter?.. But yeah, I'm actually a fan of the tube screamer type pedals, I have a ts7 tonelok I got dirt cheap back in england, quite a cool little boost pedal that doesn't sound like a box of angry bees. The hot switch I find rather pointless though.

I will deffo be writing up a short review of how it sounds, although I don't have high end grear. Just a CVC into a PF15R :p

18. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Jun 19, 2009
    Nashville TN
    I had a Green Screamer for awhile and liked it a lot. Mine had a TL072 opamp in it and was very warm sounding. It kind of proves 11 Gauge's point regarding chips. There's an interesting GS thread on FSB if you'd like to learn more about the nuts and bolts.

19. nickd

nickd Tele-Meister

Apr 18, 2011
    Yorkshire, UK
    Could you link me up on that? Some people say the original TS opamp is noiseier than the TL072?

20. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    11 Gauge has commented before that the BBE Green Screamer is based on a "Son of Screamer" design close to a TS-808, and that the Lovepedal Eternity is basically the same as well. Don't know what it really all means (but I'm pretty good at remembering 11 Gauge's main points), other than it seems like the BBE is a hell of a value, right?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.