TS9 or TS808?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by lineboat, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

I am very happy with my $40 TS-7

jman72 and lineboat like this.
  2. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Just don't make my mistake. My first overdrive pedal was and Ibanez TS-10. Sounded like a kazoo having a bad hair day.

Ouch!

telemnemonics likes this.
  3. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Holic

Phrygian77 nailed it, IMO. I much prefer the SD1 (mine is a Keeley mod) to any TS. If you are already running something akin to the 808, why not mix it up with the SD1? And to me, the differences b/w various TS pedals, while real (sort of) is miniscule relative to the similarities.

Phrygian77 likes this.
  4. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

TS9 for me. I had a boutique modded TS808 with that chip everyone covets for a while. Couldnt get rid of it fast enough for me. Too middy. The best TS9 I heard was a Maxon. My go to is the TS9DX on Turbo mode.

5. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Tele-Holic

SRV used a TS 10 at one point, I've read that the way he used a TS, it didn't matter which one he used. He basically used it as a boost, with the gain way down, to push his amps which were on the edge of distortion. Actually, according to the Thorn vid I watched on how to properly use an OD pedal, that's the best way to use a TS. Get your amp right at the edge of breakup, and boost with the TS to put it over the edge. That way gets rid of the fizziness and non-amp sounding breakup. He also said that the TS circuit has a bit of the amp sound blended in, which I didn't know. That's why you want the amp already ready to distort, if the amp is set clean, the blended part of the sound with the TS is going to be clean, and messes with the OD's sound with the TS. The TS that has the NuTube thing in it has a blend knob to vary the amount of amp sound blended in, but a regular TS already has a preset amount of amp sound blended in.
    Al

Bruxist, jannodude and lineboat like this.
  6. Jim622

Jim622 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have a TS-7 and East River Drive. Great sounds and around $100 total. The mystical performance hype has driven the 9 and 808 price way past their actual value. Several pedals, including the 2 I have can do a great imitation at a fraction of of the cost.

7. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I’ve had many/most models of the Tube Screamer—TS9RI, TS808RI, TS5, TS7, TS10—and they are all very, very similar.

They do have their individual quirks; the 808RI is a bit warmer than the TS9RI (I currently own and use these two); the TS10 was a little snottier, and a bit more fitting for harder rock and metal (although many people don’t realize that SRV used a pair of TS10’s after his much-lauded 808’s were stolen!)...the TS5 was most sonically similar to a TS9, except it was fairly delicate, with its lightweight plastic casing. The TS7 was (sonically) somewhat between the TS9 and the TS10.

Ultimately, a TS9RI is on my Big Ol’ Board of Sonic Goodness, and is unlikely to be supplanted...but if it fails, I have a TS808RI ready to roll...and I will still be satisfied.

8. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

How about both (and a few more)....

12915423_800.jpg

9. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

Mine is even more unpopular. A TS is a TS. You're just as likely to get as much tonal variation between two samples of the same model as you're gonna get generation-to-generation. And that difference is subtle, not night-and-day.

MilwMark and Doghouse_Riley like this.
  10. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

The same applies to amps also.

Sent from my HTC U Ultra using Tapatalk

11. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I've never used an 808 so I really can't comment on it.

I used a lowly TS-5 Potato Bug for years and was quite happy with it. These days I have it, a recent TS-9 and a BBE Jet Driver and I like the BBE the best. I think it's a TS-9 clone. It just does that Tube Screamer thing it does real well.

On my other board I have the JD 9 Jet Driver (not to be confused with the Jet Screamer). I got it at a pawn shop cheap and after fixing the switch, I've used it ever since. More gain and more control. I sometimes switch it out with a Maxon SD-9. They are similar but different enough to give another flavor.

lineboat likes this.
  12. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Good solution. Mine was to just switch to overdrives that I like the sound of.

13. telerocker1988

telerocker1988 Tele-Afflicted

Agree to disagree. There is definitely a difference. You can't have parts changed and not hear a difference.

To me going from the 808 to the 9 is a definite top end frequency shift. I don't hear much difference from TS-9 to another TS-9 with the same chip. But going from a 808 to a 9, I do.

The JRC4558 is pretty important in any TS to get the authentic TS tone regardless of model though.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
  14. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

Yes... both have a place. Both are fantastic. The TS-mini is highly regarded by many as the best of both worlds. I’m a line6 guy mostly these days... but I still have a Seymour Duncan 805 which is kind of between the 2 but with a 3 band eq instead of the tone knob. Very great and versatile drive pedal.

15. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Is there any difference between the two that cannot be compensated for with just a minor adjustment of the tone knob?

MilwMark and lineboat like this.
  16. telerocker1988

Even with the tone knob dialed back some, the 9 has more of a treble spike to my ears. I like it though.

17. telerocker1988

Another unpopular opinion:

I love the sound of a TS pedal into a clean amp with the gain up on the pedal.

I always use a clean set Blackface/Silverface Fender and I use the TS to give me the grit with the gain up some. It also fixes the EQ so the amp is not so scooped.

sonny wolf likes this.
  18. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Meister

Well, the 805 ha more gain range on the top and bottom than either, and it has the active 3 band EQ. I have a few TS pedals, but I use the 805 all the time.

Danjabellza likes this.
  19. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

I agree with the sound aspect of this comment. Whether it was my reissue 808 or my very first pedal ever, the Sound Tank version, they all did the tube screamer thing and did it well. I had better luck in terms of longevity. My SoundTank (that I bought in the 90s...) lived until just a couple of years ago when the switch finally failed.

brookdalebill likes this.
  20. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I have two pedals. A Cool Cat and a TS-9.
    I think TS-9 is great for low volume clean tones for Fender pickups. Superfluous with humbuckers. For me.
    OPINION ONLY.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.