Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Trying to learn about finishes

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Dicarbondioxide, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Dicarbondioxide

Dicarbondioxide NEW MEMBER!

Sep 22, 2017
    Orem, UT
    I am sure this post already exists somewhere I just can't find it. I got into the guitar game about a year ago and have learned a lot, mostly through trial and error. I recently started wprking at a startup making novelty guitars to sell at conventions such as comic con (so I need to be very price concious). In that time I have finished multiple guitars with clear coat, rustoleum laquer (which YouTube recommended), and polyurethane. I have not been super satisfied with the quality of any of those finishes, none of them have been the shiny show car finish that is customary on a guitar nor have any been very scratch resistant. I guess really what I'm trying to learn is what are the preferred types of guitar finishes, how much does it cost to do a whole guitar, how hard is it to learn to do, and what are any other pros/cons (like scratch resistance, or gloss quality).

TLDR: What are good techniques to finish a body and how much does it cost?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.