Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Trying to get an Eric Johnson type sound!

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by Telewanger, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Telewanger

Telewanger Tele-Meister

Oct 8, 2005
    Shallotte, NC
    I have been trying different amps and effects today, trying to get a decent Eric Johnson sound. I have been watching his videos from the 80's until present. His sound has changed here and there. I think I like his older sound better. I don't know any of his songs, but I want to learn some!

Here is what I came up with today! Let me know what you think!

My youtube video below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7q2zza_gLo

2. funff

funff Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2008
    UK
    Sounds pretty decent to me mate! You've nailed most of his signature sound, violin-esque sustain, delay, the lot. Well done. Now, get to learning "Cliffs of Dover" and we'll see you back here in a week... ;) :p

3. winny pooh

winny pooh Friend of Leo's

Jan 24, 2006
    South London
    To me it does not sound much like Johnson.
    My recommendations:
    Learn to alternate pick ( I noticed you used lot of pull off's to compensate for the fact that you down stroke exclusively, and did a very good job of masking this issue)
    As above, no pull offs!
    Now practice alt picking pentatonics in 2's and 3's up and down the fingerboard fluidly, EJ will also often play a descending run on EBG strings in maybe 12thfret position, then shift to 10th fret position and continue on BGD strings etc

Actually just get a transcription book and get at it.

Re tone, lose the hotrails and high gain and digital delay, my own setup for that sound is a maple neck strat with med wind singles into a radial tonebone and a BOSS dm-2 into an amp set to clean, or less distortion into a vintage style marshall. I know you will miss the sustain but you can get that by adding a compressor in front. Don't rely on high gain to get sustain, it only makes you sound like the 80's. Eric uses insane volume for that of course. Keep playing and good luck, the EJ path is the moral "high path" for rock instrumentalists ha!

4. Telewanger

Telewanger Tele-Meister

Oct 8, 2005
    Shallotte, NC
    Re tone, lose the hotrails and high gain and digital delay, my own setup for that sound is a maple neck strat with med wind singles into a radial tonebone and a BOSS dm-2 into an amp set to clean, or less distortion into a vintage style marshall. I know you will miss the sustain but you can get that by adding a compressor in front. Don't rely on high gain to get sustain, it only makes you sound like the 80's. Eric uses insane volume for that of course. Keep playing and good luck, the EJ path is the moral "high path" for rock instrumentalists ha![/QUOTE]

I am a little confused? I am not trying to play like Eric Johnson. I don't even know one of his songs. I'm just trying to get a close amp tone.

I am trying to sound 1980's like Eric Johnson's early tone, when he did his frist and second album. I am using the same Echoplex EP-3 with his exact settings for echo. I posted the video to eight guitar sites and everyone's talking about how great the echo and tone sounds. I am not using hot rails, it is a split single coil pickup. I am using a compressor first in line, after the guitar. I am using very little gain, just a lot of clean boost going to the amp input.

So far, I don't like many of the rock guitar tones after the 1980's. As soon as Nirvana and Pearl Jam came along it started sounding like guys were poking holes in their speakers. They had real loose fuzzy, grungy distortion. I like super compact distortion, nothing fuzzy.

5. winny pooh

winny pooh Friend of Leo's

Jan 24, 2006
    South London
    Sorry if I hit a nerve, but its a forum and we trade in opinions. I was not dissing your sound, merely saying that it does not sound like EJ. Because a plexi era marshall rolls off top and boosts mids, you may have better luck getting a sound like that with an es335 through your rig anyway. What made it sound like that high gain thing was the pick attack and the way the bass strings sounded on the ascending lick. Part of getting an EJ tone/sounds is also knowing how he plays, you cant escape that. Understand that I don't want to discourage you, in fact the opposite, but I discriminate carefully and with what little tact I can muster so am perhaps not the right person to wave pom poms at you in a skirt nor give the response you want.

6. Telewanger

Telewanger Tele-Meister

Oct 8, 2005
    Shallotte, NC
    winny pooh,

You did not hit a nerve! I am just trying to find a decent sound today.

Here is a backing track that I just found online. Let me know what you think of my tone on this one? I realize that the playing is not very good. I am just playing off the top of my head with no practice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkGV5WUIv20

7. djinn1973

djinn1973 Tele-Meister

Dec 10, 2006
    Vacaville, Ca.
    I think you're getting pretty close... I came across this earlier today its an example of EJ tone through three different kinds of amps.

8. Telewanger

Telewanger Tele-Meister

Oct 8, 2005
    Shallotte, NC

9. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

Apr 14, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    Dude... This video is must see reference for any thread needing a good bedroom rig. :D

10. morroben

morroben Friend of Leo's

Jun 25, 2006
    Morro Bay, Ca
    I thought your tone was pretty spot on in the original post...less so with the second youtube post.

11. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Banned

Apr 5, 2008
    Desolation Row
    If you asked Eric he'd say he's still trying to get his tone

so you really don't stand much of a chance. That guy hears a difference in his batteries.

Great musician doing the great work.

12. djinn1973

djinn1973 Tele-Meister

Dec 10, 2006
    Vacaville, Ca.

13. Donnie55

Donnie55 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 31, 2009
    Jacksonville , Fl.
    Your pretty close, IMHO , I would like to hear a little more of the dry signal and a little less of the wet. Maybe two amps one dry one wet. Just keep at it. Your close enough to take what ya got and do your own thing with it.

14. Telewanger

Telewanger Tele-Meister

Oct 8, 2005
    Shallotte, NC
    I used to play along the coast of NC and SC a lot. We used to play outside at Hotels and Bars with the ocean saltwater spray getting all over my gear. I'm surprised that everything looks as good as it does, and not just a bucket of rust.

After playing, I had to clean all of my stuff, guitar, pedals, mic stands,and amps. It was not worth it for the money we got paid. A brand new set of guitar strings would have black spots all over them the next morning after doing one of those gigs. I would always take my Samick Tele copy when doing those gigs.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.