Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Trying to figure out Telecaster markings

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Guitara, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Guitara

Guitara TDPRI Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Illinois
    IMG_4801.JPG IMG_4802.JPG IMG_4803.JPG So, my uncle just showed up the other day and dropped off a telecaster. I haven't played in years and this thing has got me addicted again.

I started to get curious and I was trying to figure out some info on it. There are so many marking on the neck and body that I can't make out much. It looks like mostly gibberish to me - maybe like a factory second (i.e. red and green markings).

• What can you guys tell from the images?
    • Where can I look for info?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    shupe13 likes this.

2. max_twang

max_twang Tele-Afflicted

Nov 8, 2009
    New York
    Can't see any images...

3. ozzeng

ozzeng Tele-Meister

Jun 12, 2009
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Same here. Images are missing.

4. 10thoufirst

10thoufirst Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Nov 16, 2013
    England
    No pics here either.

5. Guitara

Guitara TDPRI Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Illinois
    I uploaded some images. Fingers crossed that they are coming through.

6. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    Looks like crop circles, from here, Jimmy

Martin R likes this.

7. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Aug 29, 2007
    MV, CA
    Looks like a 96 body with a 97 neck. Spring of 97 is my call.

Guitara likes this.

8. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

Nov 2, 2015
    Sinsinnasti
    If we saw the guitar in whole weed tell you exactly what it is. Most of the info is in the appearance and serial number. ;)

Guitara likes this.

9. Guitara

Guitara TDPRI Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Illinois
    Here's a pic of the entire guitar and the serial number is somewhere around 24000 on the bridge.

IMG_4726.JPG

shupe13 and Crobbins like this.

10. Guitara

Guitara TDPRI Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Illinois
    @Middleman I was thinking 96 body and 97 neck too.

I was also thinking it could be 90 body and 87 neck but that would be a pretty big gap unless it was pieced together outside of the factory.

11. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

Nov 2, 2015
    Sinsinnasti
    Serial number on the headstock or neckplate?

Lacquer finish or poly?

If its original the flat head screws would indicate a '52 reissue. Could be an AVRI w/ bucker.

Fender has done a few runs like that and black runs were done around that time as well as black GE Smith models.

The dome knobs and tweed case would also be correct for an AVRI.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    Guitara likes this.

12. Guitara

Guitara TDPRI Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Illinois
    @DanDII It has all flat head screws. No serial numbers on the headstock or the neck plate.

I can't tell the finish type. It looks like poly, but I could be wrong. It scratches easy and I can almost see some wood grain on the back. There's little dents in the finish on the back too.

I think the humbucker was routed later. I lifted the pickguard and saw exposed wood. But it looked like a clean job.

I was thinking it was a 52 reissue but black, which I never see. You always see yellow, buttscotch with black pickguard on the 52s.

13. John C

John C Tele-Afflicted

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    Fender did offer the '52 Reissue in black for a couple of years there at the end of the 1990s; I'm thinking it's one of the black ones from early 1998 (the neck date looks like 1997 to me and body date from early 1998).

If I'm remembering correctly the revised American Vintage Reissue models came out in mid-1998; they show up on the July 1998 price list. However, it appears that both the pre-revision and the post-revision AVRI '52 Teles were available in black and copper as well as butterscotch blonde. Black is gone by 2000, and copper by 2001 - but in 2001 they have the sunburst version with gold hardware listed as a second AVRI '52 Tele model.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Guitara likes this.

14. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

Nov 2, 2015
    Sinsinnasti
    You can take a little lacquer thinner on a Q tip and test the paint on the edges inside the control cavity. If the Q tip gets black after rubbing it's nitro. The lacquer thinner won't affect poly.

I've added all flat heads to a few Teles so it may just be a mod but the pics appear to be AVRI to my eyes. And yes, black '52s are rare. I have a GE Smith "marketing sample" that uses the same black '52 body. The neck has been sold and the body is going on the block shortly. The finish relics/wears very easily on these and is extremely thin compared to poly. Really hard not to see the difference. The fact that you see wood grain through the finish leads me to AVRI. Very few poly finishes are thin enough to see wood grain. It can be done by a pro painter but I've never seen a poly Fender show grain.

Guitara likes this.

15. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Not a big black tele fan, but that one has me.

I do have an old e-body black parts caster in nasty shape I quite like, so black tele like latency subsiding...

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Guitara likes this.

16. adamsappel

adamsappel Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Jun 8, 2008
    Maryland
    I like that Ace guitar strap, too.

Guitara likes this.

17. Guitara

Guitara TDPRI Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Illinois
    The strap is cool. It looks older and falling apart a little.

18. Guitara

Guitara TDPRI Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Illinois
    Thanks for helping with this one everyone. I'm assuming it's a 98 AVRI with an aftermarket Seymour Duncan Seth Lover neck PU.

From what I read Online outside of this site, which has to be true, the 97 necks are thin. But this neck is thicker. So, I'm thinking 98.

I will say I love the feel of the neck and the sound even when it's not plugged in. I think Herbie Gastelum and other experts at Fender had something to do with that. This thing rings.

Thanks again to everyone on the thread. I appreciate your insight.

19. Guitara

Guitara TDPRI Member

Oct 9, 2017
    Illinois
    I thought this masking taped "R" was interesting. I guessing righthand wiring.

More pics for the heck of it.

IMG_4798.JPG IMG_4799.JPG IMG_4805.JPG IMG_5149.JPG

shupe13 and pondcaster like this.

20. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Meister

Oct 20, 2012
    Oley Pa
    The neck says Jan 16 or 18 1997 Alicia G and H GASTELUM

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.