Trying to decide between two 72s - help with pots?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by MapleTwang, Jun 27, 2019.

1. MapleTwang

MapleTwang TDPRI Member

Hey guys,

Looking at two 72s. Both about the same price. They are both advertised as unmolested. Neck dates and back plate serial numbers match up just fine. I've played about ten early seventies telecasters around LA and narrowed it down to these two.

The pickups are loud - they have the twang - and the necks feel great (I've been looking for a chunkier neck and canceled out any without). All of those things considered - the only thing left that I don't understand are the pots.

So, all things being equal here are photos of the pots of my two different options:

Option 1:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And option 2:

[​IMG]

Oddly, option 1 is the cleaner looking guitar while option 2 has fret wear and chips etc. Yet option 2 seems to have perfectly brand new looking pots and solders. Is this a red flag? Option 2 states unmolested and original - with '66 pots. Option 1 has no idea. But they look rusted and old. Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

What should I be looking for? Can anyone read the codes on option 1 and tell if they are '66 as well? Does option 2 look suspect due to looking so brand new?

Thanks. This is a lot of money for me. And my wife gave me the green light to pull the trigger on a tele as that is what I lived and died by prior to us getting married. And now we're finally in a place to where I can get playing again. And some buddies and I are starting a dad band. I just need an axe with the right vibe and mojo. And I can't decide.

2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Option 1 definitely looks better. Option 2 has the right earthing tab on the control cavity but copper foil inside is not original.

Option 1 pots look to be more correct and lead based solder with rosin has correct patina plus they're 1 meg which is correct.

Option 2 does have correct switch/tip and both correct ceramic cap.

Need a better shot of the bottom/cavity of option 1 and bottom of Option 2

3. MapleTwang

MapleTwang TDPRI Member

Thanks so much Dacious! So, option 2 has had work done? I thought so - it all looks so brand new in there.

It’s being sold by a reputable dealer that states:

“No Cracks, No Repairs, Or Issues Whatsoever. Original hardware has very little tarnish.”

So you’d say this is incorrect?

That’s really too bad - as I liked the neck on it.

Option 1 looks unmolested? Thanks so much. Def looking for an untouched Tele if I can find one :)

4. chomps

chomps TDPRI Member

I can’t say anything about the pots, but I wouldn’t let pots be the deciding factor. Many other variables are more important. While ‘72s may be your thing, I wouldn’t rate them as investment grade guitars, so so you should pick the one you enjoy playing the most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fuelish likes this.
  5. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Go with the best neck and body.

Fuelish likes this.
  6. MapleTwang

MapleTwang TDPRI Member

Thanks everyone.

I was going to pick up a custom shop Tele but realized I could get a 70s for the same price. And I really do love the vibe of a vintage/used guitar.

Also, honestly, the idea of it not immediately going down in value - and maybe going up - is good too.

My buddies and I are starting a dad - drink beer in the garage - band. Wife gave me the green light to get a Tele.

Please tell me if I’m wrong but as I understand it the 72s are almost identical to the 68s. So you can still get a good - almost sixties - telecaster for an affordable price. Once you go up to 74 quite a bit starts changing (pots, notch etc). I’m only looking at early seventies telecasters as they seem like good value right now :)

7. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Meister

I’d have to agree with you I like to consider 72 the last great “real” Leo fender style Teles. Of course cbs implemented some changes but to me your correct that once the notch goes and the second string tree appears those are signs to me that the tele is getting further from it’s magical heyday

8. MapleTwang

MapleTwang TDPRI Member

Potentially, I think, 72 seems like a magic year. Although I've only played two of them. But I've played five 74s (did they make more that year?), three diff 75s at Norman's Rare Guitars and a bunch of custom shops and A/B'd them all together.

Both 72s have thicker necks. Is that a thing for 72? I love the necks. I was A/Bing a 74 and a 75 with the 72 and the necks felt SO different.

Also, when A/Bing the 72s against the 74s, 75s AND the brand new custom shops at Guitar Center Hollywood - the 72s were louder. Without adjusting any settings. Just going back and forth to hear what's louder.

Honestly, I was super unimpressed with the new custom shop guitars. The necks felt good on a couple of them - but that was about it.

Do Tele players consider louder is better?

I know ya really just need to pick the guitar that reaches out to you and makes you want to play the most - but I can't help but be analytical about these things :)

9. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Meister

I don’t have a large sample size but the 72 I have has a very comfortable u shaped neck that fits just right for me and I’ve heard similar things of other 72s
    I think loudness of a pickup depends on the application used , of course too weak or microphonic isn’t ideal. if you want a rock or overdriven sound more output would be preferred

10. MapleTwang

MapleTwang TDPRI Member

Thanks Fretting Out. The reason I ask is that I come from the acoustic guitar world. Flatpicking, actually. I’m pretty new to electric. But in the vintage acoustic world louder is usually better. You often can hear someone pick up an old D18 and say “whoa this thing is a canon!”. Or it sounds like “... it has socks in the sound hole” etc. Depending on volume. You want a louder flat picker to cut through the band etc live.

I just couldn’t help noticing - while A/Bing electrics on the same amp - same settings - that some Teles were louder than others. Wasn’t sure if that was generally desirable in electrics or not :)

11. rob2

rob2 Tele-Holic

.....judge by sound and feel....but a good idea to go for the '72 not a custom shop I believe....I have a '72 bought back in '95,beaten and abused by the previous owner,it came cheap 'cos he'd somehow lost the pickups having put "better" ones in....the neck is a magnificent chunk.....great instrument...

12. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

Keep in mind you play the guitar not the pots. If you like option 2 better use the changes to negotiate the price down a bit.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.