Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Truss rod turns..

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by tdale, Feb 7, 2013.

1. tdale

tdale Tele-Meister

I'm installing a single rod in my one piece neck. I have a hole in both ends, headstock adjust. I put a nut in the heel end, inserted the rod and started tightening the nut in the headstock end, to try how it fitted before I put in the skunk strip. Ehen the nut started tightening, the rod started turning... How do you keep the rod from turning if you're not using a barrel nut in the heel end? Will the skunk strip hold the rod in place so it won't turn, or do I need to anchor it? What should I do?

2. kwerk

kwerk Poster Extraordinaire

Is the heel end nut turning, or is it staying stationary? If it's staying stationary, you'll need to peen the rod so the anchor nut and rod become one unit. If it's turning along with the rod, then yes, you have a problem there. I haven't ever used a single action rod, so I'll leave it up to others to suggest a solution (there will be one).

3. tiskit86

tiskit86 Friend of Leo's

I think Phil's got it right. The nut and rod on the heel end need to be one. Anchored. Married. Together forever.

Filet strip's job is not to keep the rod from turning, but to keep the rod in the neck.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. tdale

tdale Tele-Meister

The nut turns too, so I need to do something to keep the whole thing from turning...

6. moody

moody TDPRI Member

It sounds like you need a toothed anchor. Take a piece of steel rod about the size of the outside diameter of the nut, or the same size as the hole you drilled and cut off about 1/2" for a new anchor. Then drill and tap the piece to fit the trussrod where the old nut would go. Take a triangle or round file and cut two grooves at right angles to each other in one end of the anchor. This should make an anchor with four points that screws on to the trussrod. Install it on the trussrod so that the points will be toward the headstock, and then peen the threads on the other side of the anchor so the rod cannot be backed out of it. This should fix the turning problem.

7. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

8. tdale

tdale Tele-Meister

Nice tutorial! But he has a different anchor style that has no problem with turning..

9. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

Okay, I have no clue what you're really talking about. Pictures would sure help everyone.. It doesn't sound like you have a complete truss rod..

10. tdale

tdale Tele-Meister

I have a hole from the end of the neck, just like in the headstock...

11. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

I'm not sure why you need the hole on the back as well? What is the propose of that?

12. tdale

tdale Tele-Meister

13. tdale

tdale Tele-Meister

Just another way of ancoring the rod....

14. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

Okay, i'm confused, count me out, I'm past my knowledge.

15. tdale

tdale Tele-Meister

The reason is that I can use a regular hex nut, and don't have to make one... But it seems like I need to make one anyway :)

16. tdale

tdale Tele-Meister

Necks with heel adjust has a hole in both ends... this is just the same basically, only I chose to adjust from the headstock..

17. tdale

tdale Tele-Meister

I'll try Moody's tecnique, thank you!

18. Bentley

Bentley Friend of Leo's

Okay, I think I see what you mean.. Where is the nut that you have the truss rod threaded in to located?

19. tdale

tdale Tele-Meister

At the end of the rod, in the heel end. The adjusting nut is in the other end

20. tiskit86

tiskit86 Friend of Leo's

So there's a channel all the way from the headstock through the heel? A hole on each end?

If that's the case I think you should plug the hole at the heel and anchor the rod an inch or so short of the end of the heel. Like this, yes?

[​IMG]

21. tdale

tdale Tele-Meister

That is a way, yes... I wanted to avoid having to make a nut... But I might do it this way after all, or make a nut like moody explained

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.