Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Truss rod question

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by jwp333, Oct 1, 2017.

1. jwp333

jwp333 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    This isn't about a tele, so mods, please move if I'm posting in the wrong place. This is about a Gibson style truss rod. The guitar has a lot of relief. It's a one way rod. I tightened and tightened till I had the rod coming out the top end of the nut. Adjustment felt stiff but not super hard.
    I saw a Stewmac video that discussed this issue and did what they did, I just backed the nut out and was able to tap the rod back into the neck about a quarter of an inch or less. Retightened and it looks like the rod is creeping out again.
    What's going on here? I'm assuming it's loose inside the neck at the other end. Do I just put an extra washer for the adjustment nut and keep tightening till it really grips like in the Stew mac video? Or do I need some other fix?

2. reckless meanie

reckless meanie Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2011
    Madras, OR
    I'm sure someone who can explain better than me will reply but it sounds like the fretboard will need to come off So the whole truss rod can be inspected/evaluated and then a repair can be made once you know exactly what the problem is. Most likely a job for a pro. Good luck.

3. jwp333

Jul 17, 2013
    Richmond, VA

4. reckless meanie

Jul 24, 2011
    Madras, OR
    Did you try putting some washers on there just to see if eventually it will grab and start straightening the neck? I don't that would hurt anything if you're careful. Then at least you would have an idea as to weather the wood is just compressed or if it just keeps coming out further and further it may be that it's broke and then it would need to be taken apart.

5. jwp333

Jul 17, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    I'm going to try the washers I think. I looked at a picture of other end of a Gibson style truss rod and it's hard to believe that something is broken on that end. See the Gibson truss rod pictures on Stew Mac:

http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Truss_Rods/Adjustable_Truss_Rods/Gibson_Truss_Rod.html

It doesn't look like the metal tab at that end can pass outside the end of the rod. Maybe someone knows better that the end of the rod can shear off. But it doesn't look likely. I''m assuming there is a wood channel that the metal tab sits in. So it kind of makes sense that the slot for the tab might compress some. I hope that it what is happening.

I could get the Gibson washers for $2. But does anybody know the hardware store alternative?

6. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    Get a 'fender washer' (that will be a funny story for you later) that has a hole that fits the rod and then clip off the two sides. Might use heavy tin snips or a hacksaw and vice with polishing up with a file or sandpaper after. There will be other various sizes of washers there if not any fender washers to get the general ID/OD and then saw off to size for the pocket.

Of course you could also make spacers out of coins "I gave that old Gibby my two cents on the matter!"

7. reckless meanie

Jul 24, 2011
    Madras, OR
    I'd just take the original down to the hardware store and pick the washer that is the most similar and use a grinder or something make the necessary modifications to the washer or washers so they will fit.

8. jwp333

Jul 17, 2013
    Richmond, VA
    Two of the Stew Mac washers arrived today. I pulled the old one out and replaced it with the 2 new ones. Tightened up nicely, had less relief, but I didn't want to move too quickly, so I'm going to let it sit a few days and see where I'm at.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.