Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Truss rod for Classic Vibe VB

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by fanouristzouras, Sep 6, 2017.

1. fanouristzouras

fanouristzouras TDPRI Member

Dec 27, 2015
    Greece
    After three years the strings on my Vintage Blonde seem to be higher than when I first bought it, so I decided to try tightening the truss rod. After about a quarter turn clockwise the neck doesn't seem to have straightened any and the strings haven't come closer to the fretboard. My question then is : How much of a turn does it usually take to bring the strings lower ? Will I have to give it half a turn , or perhaps even a full turn (meaning 360 degrees)? Obviously I am afraid of damaging it. I'd appreciate any insight , friends !!!

2. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

Jun 26, 2007
    London
    Why are you only using the truss rod to adjust string action? What about the nut and the bridge saddles? They all work together and should not be looked at in isolation. I suggest you get a set up guide and study it before attempting set up adjustments.

Medium neck curvature is about 0.010 - 0.012" at the 8th fret (capo at 1st fret and string fretted at last fret). Do this for high and low E strings. A regular business card will do the trick if you don't have automotive feeler gauges.

Medium action at the 17th fret is about 2mm. A nickel or a 2p coin will do the trick and actually work for pickup height (2 coins thick on the bass side and 1 coin on treble side).

I wouldn't mess with nut files if the 2 above operations are not easy and obvious to you - find a good luthier for that.

flatcat likes this.

3. fanouristzouras

fanouristzouras TDPRI Member

Dec 27, 2015
    Greece
    Thanks for the info ! I actually pulled it through , it took about half a turn all in all. The reason I only used the rod is some YouTube videos that said that's all you need to adjust. All's well that ends well !

4. archetype

archetype More tone than talent Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    That's a YouTube video to avoid. It's rong. The truss rod is for adding or removing relief and that's only part of setting up the action. Just because it plays acceptably doesn't mean it's set up optimally. Search TDPRI for how to do a set up. IIRC Ron Kirn posted the method that's become a standard for many people.

xafinity likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.