Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Truffle Oil

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Phrygian77, Dec 5, 2018.

1. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    I seen some restaurants offer truffle oil coated shrooms or fries.
    Tryiing to fancy it up

po-boy likes this.
  2. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Tele-Afflicted

May 3, 2016
    In the South
    The sulphur is preservatives and anti-oxidants. If it was cheap it has never been near a real truffle, will have been made with the cheapest vegetable oil, and will taste horrible.

Even the 'proper' stuff is over-rated.

Throw it away, and mark it up to experience is my advice.

Sorry :)

Obsessed likes this.
  3. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's

I don't like flavored oils... Never tried one that I thought was any good...

4. Colors

Colors Tele-Meister

May 12, 2016
    Nebraska
    Call me an uncultured Philistine, but I had truffle butter once at an upscale steak house on the company dime. The waitress made a big deal over it. Didn't taste anything special about it. As a matter of fact i would have prefered the filet sans truffle butter. More for the foodies I guess.

5. notmyusualuserid

May 3, 2016
    In the South
    Chilli oil and garlic oil have their place. Home made is better than store bought though :)

gwjensen likes this.
  6. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I just prefer to add the garlic, chili, rosemary or whatever to the dish versus having it in the oil...

7. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Isn’t all the big a deal, except for what it has become. It’s just a fungus, like other mushrooms. Grows where the sun don’t shine…and way before the Italians and then the French (how to otherwise start a food war) developed the whole idea of gastronomy, hungry people were scavenging in the woods, looking for something, anything to eat. I figure the first person to try a truffle was like the first person to try an oyster.

France has the black truffle, Italy has the white. Different ‘shrooms, but a whole lot of recipes out there for the actual truffle, not so much “truffle” oil.

Hard to tell what you have on hand, but yeah, most likely case is that the Sulphur note you are tasting is part of the tradition of preserving the cheapest oil with “sulphate of carbon”, not unusual, I’m under the impression that any number of red wines use a similar preservative.

So you got some mushroom oil – maybe that’s the way to think of it. I’ve eaten a few dishes, in France, with the real deal, but mostly I’ve read about it – used bookstore copy of Larousse Gastronomique, the Silver Spoon (Italian cooking standard) and Patricia Gray’s “Honey From a Weed”, which is a great book anyway, not so much for the writing but for the stories and the approach to cooking.

You could make some homemade mayonnaise – which is basically just egg yolks and oil with a little lemon juice. I don’t know how concentrated the oil you have is, so I’d be inclined to maybe go 50/50 with your truffle oil and some good olive oil, 2 egg yolks worth of mayo, fresh squeezed lemon juice, then fry up a mess of hushpuppies and dip them in your truffle mayo.

Or I’d make some kind of rice dish – maybe shrimp and rice and finish it off with a little truffle oil and grated parmesan.

Best of luck. If you do cook up something, you'll need to post pictures here. You know the rules.

8. notmyusualuserid

May 3, 2016
    In the South
    It's easier to toss a salad in garlic oil than eat raw chopped garlic. IMO of course ;)

gwjensen likes this.
  9. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    I’ve never had truffles, but have tried truffle oil once. Once.

10. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Meister

Mar 13, 2018
    Atlanta
    I guess you could call me a foodie (hate that word), but I am not really a big fan of truffle oil. It is useful for some things, but like a lot of seasonings can get quickly overused which is why I really don't like it.

First, like other posters have mentioned, truffle oil should be treated like a finishing oil for flavor or seasoning not a cooking oil.

Although truffles don't taste exactly the same as mushrooms, they share roughly equivalent flavor profiles, so use the truffle oil with things that you would like with mushrooms. Here are a few ideas:

-- Make a truffle aioli. You can use a good aioli as a dipping sauce/condiment for just about anything -- French fries, vegetables, on a sandwhich. If you do only one thing with the oil do this!
    -- Drizzle over fresh pasta in lieu of a sauce.
    -- Toss with fresh French fries, some fresh grated imported parmesan, and some garlic.
    -- If you are handy making omelets, brushing a little truffle oil on an omelet is pretty tasty.
    -- like with the French fries above, you can do the same thing with popcorn although that gets to be a little too uppity for my tastes in popcorn.
    -- it's a good addition to risotto or mushroom risotto -- just adds a little extra punch and depth of flavor.
    -- toss with some roasted Brussels sprouts or asparagus.
    -- By all means do the truffle oil mac & cheese thing -- it is really good.

Here are some things I don't like truffle oil for:

-- Any kind of salad. Just too heavy and rich and overpowers everything.
    -- Steak. In theory this should work ok, but I find that it distracts too much from flavor of the meat which should be the star of the show.

Last reminder -- use it sparingly and judiciously, a little goes a long way.

Have fun with it, for all the foodie stuff above, it's just food!

po-boy likes this.
  11. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    hate truffle oil, which is largely synthetic

never had white truffles until I was invited to try them in the hills south of Alba

they were just harvested, about the size of golf balls, and they were INCREDIBLE

shaved paper-thin over a duck egg fried in butter

holy cow

12. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I think you just drizzle it on certain foods. It doesn't pair up with everything.

I'm pretty sure you don't cook with it.

I'm like you, a culinary slob. Never had it, but would love to give it a try.

13. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Sooo, let me get this straight: you bought fake truffle oil to find out how truffle oil taste like.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.