Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Truffle Oil

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Phrygian77, Dec 5, 2018.

1. po-boy

po-boy Tele-Holic

Oct 19, 2007
    gulf coast, alabama
    my son has a friend who is a chef and he told me truffle oil is the cheap drug store version of an expensive perfume - like cheap perfume, a little goes a long way -

seems like it was a fad for a while, but i haven't seen it lately -

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Tele-Afflicted

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    You mean it has cats piss in it?:)

3. MagicTwanger

MagicTwanger Tele-Meister

Jun 20, 2007
    Oregon
    Truffle oil is amazing for frying french fried potatoes.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  4. MagicTwanger

MagicTwanger Tele-Meister

Jun 20, 2007
    Oregon
    more info:
    How do you make truffle oil fries?
    Instructions
    1. Place the sliced fries in a fryer or large pot of canola oil at 350° and cook for 5 to 6 minutes or until golden brown and cooked.
    2. Once the fries are cooked strain from the oil and toss in a large bowl with the Parmesan cheese, truffle oil, parsley, and salt and pepper and serve.
    May 14, 2018
    Parmesan Truffle Fries Recipe - Billy Parisi

https://www.billyparisi.com/parmesan-truffle-fries-recipe/

Search for: How do you make truffle oil fries?
    Can you fry with truffle oil?
    Long answer short, you don't. Truffle oil isn't for cooking, it's a finishing oil, like the higher grades of olive oil used to add more flavor to a dish before serving. If you cook truffle oil, it just became super-expensive regular olive oil cause you killed all the fake truffle.Dec 24, 2012

Wildcard_35 and Chunkocaster like this.
  5. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    Did I miss something here? I have six cats, in no way does anything cat resemble truffle, or at least truffle oil.

DrASATele likes this.
  6. Chunkocaster

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
  7. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    po-boy likes this.
  8. Chunkocaster

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    The quote I replied to mentioned truffle oil being the cheap drug store equivalent of truffle like cheap drug store perfume is to expensive perfume. Cheap drug store perfume knockoffs were reported to contain cats urine a few years ago. I was joking about the link to Truffle oil containing cats urine.

9. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Tele-Afflicted

Jan 29, 2011
    los angeles
    In the fancy restaurants around here, I see truffle mac and cheese quite a bit and it's pretty good I'll say. Think about the relatively bland flavor of mac and cheese although you should get a nice cheese, and then add that funk of truffle you mention and it really gooses up the flavor, imparts a nice earthy funkus to an otherwise so-so side dish. Go for it!

Chunkocaster likes this.
  10. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    Had to laugh at my sister's snobiness. We were on a certain Indonesian island where a cat like animal eats the husk of a coffee bean, poos it out, then it's dried, the husk, and ground to coffee ( think " The Bucket List"). Well she HAD to try it and buy some. It was about $35 an ounce but sold in kilogram packs ( c. 2.2 lbs.) my bro-in-law , her husband, and I, just had to laugh.
    She recently bought a hand woven Persian knotted "carpet" in Iran, the size of a bath towel, for $6,000, and her dog chewed it up. LOL:)

Wildcard_35 and Colors like this.
  11. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 31, 2007
    victoria b.c. CANADA
  12. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jul 20, 2013
    Island of Oahu
    I used the little bottle of T oil to fry a steak one night, was good.

13. Boil

Boil Tele-Meister

Oct 30, 2011
    B.C.
    There are two things that give me heartburn, one is garlic powder, the others is truffle oil. The garlic powder I knew about, the truffle oil I didn't, now I do, it gave me heartburn for days.

Best avoided.

14. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    I've had this pizza at this Italian place that had it, although I think they also put something else that seems to fake truffles on it, maybe bits of mushroom?

It tasted pretty good to me.

15. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Holic

Mar 21, 2017
    Baltimore
    I would not consider boiling a fish to be very well thought out.

stevemc likes this.
  16. po-boy

po-boy Tele-Holic

Oct 19, 2007
    gulf coast, alabama
    i agree about the truffle oil smell - its definitely not like cat piss - i used the example of cheap knock-off perfume compared to the real thing is similar to how enhanced

truffle oil is to the real thing - evidently many people do enjoy the aroma and flavor of the cheap enhanced truffle oil, it just didn't work for me - i think someone in the

kitchen was way to liberal with the truffle oil on my plate and the aroma and flavor were overwhelming - it was on my potatoes and i was anxious to try it so that was

the first item i tasted - bad move - everything i ate after that tasted like truffle oil, including my steak - i suspect that the real truffle oil which is very expensive is used

very sparingly and the cheaper enhanced version is used way more liberally - you have already bought the truffle oil, so have a little fun and try it on different dishes -

i would advise to use it sparingly though -

17. mgreene

mgreene Tele-Holic

Jan 27, 2010
    south carolina
    This is interesting - I noticed that on some of those cooking shows that the contestant was instantly fired for using truffle oil.

Still dont know why and I have never tried it.

18. Area51

Area51 Tele-Meister

Nov 4, 2016
    New Mexico
    Love Truffle oil. My favorite local Pizza place makes a Truffle oil pizza. Out of this world.

19. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    You don't use it like oil. You use it like seasoning. Too much of it usually overpowers other tastes and is unpleasant. I put a big dash of it in the olive oil I put on capellini, garlic, peas, and Romano.

The cheapest way to get the good stuff is at Trader Joe's.

po-boy likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.