Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Truffle Oil

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Phrygian77, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    I was picking up some olive oil at the local supermarket, and for the first time, I saw truffle oil sitting on the top shelf. Out of curiosity, being southern and somewhat uncultured, I thought, "I've always wondered what this is all about." I love cooking, and truffles are obviously a part of Haute cuisine. You're not even going to find black truffles in the supermarkets down here, so I thought, "Artificial or not, I want an idea of what this smells and tastes like."

I've never heard, on any cooking show, anyone try to describe it. Well, I'll just say it's a vegetable-sulfur-esque smell and taste. It's funky and different. Not really offensive, just different, as opposed to fish sauce.

Now, what I'm I going to do with this stuff? It seams like it would work well mixed lightly with creamy pasta dishes.

2. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Holic

May 20, 2018
    Arcata
    Truffles are the most expensive ingredient on earth. It's much more cost effective to make an infused oil.

3. Phrygian77

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    I get that. Just trying to understand the desire for the funkiness of it, and what I should do with the truffle oil I bought... lol

4. Phrygian77

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    It seems like saffron, in a way. It's expensive and it can really over power if you use too much.

Teleterr likes this.
  5. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
  6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Tele-Afflicted

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    Try it on a rosewood fretboard.:)

I have heard of it before, I would take a guess that it's used in sauces or to drizzle over certain gourmet dishes? None of which I would know how to cook.

7. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Holic

May 20, 2018
    Arcata
    That's a fair comparison. Saffron is expensive because its hand plucked flower pistils (labor intensive). Truffles need a very specific habitat and specially trained dogs to find.

Phrygian77 likes this.
  8. Chunkocaster

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    Don't they use pigs to sniff out truffles?

Phrygian77 likes this.
  9. Phrygian77

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    I'm going to sip on my drink, waiting for more responses ...

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    DrASATele, Bassman8 and Chunkocaster like this.
  10. po-boy

po-boy Tele-Holic

Oct 19, 2007
    gulf coast, alabama
    most commercial truffle oils are concocted by mixing olive oil with one or more compounds like 2,4-dithiapentane - real truffle oil is very hard to find and very expensive -

i tried the cheaper artificially enhanced version once at a restaurant and did not enjoy the aroma or the taste - nasty stuff that overpowered everything on my plate -

11. Phrygian77

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    Well, pigs are likely to eat them. Dog are apparently the better contemporary option.

DrASATele likes this.
  12. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Holic

May 20, 2018
    Arcata
    Hmm. It really shouldn't be funky. Earthy, yes. You might have just got a bad batch.

13. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Holic

May 20, 2018
    Arcata
    No, but the truffles do grow around pigs

14. titan uranus

titan uranus Tele-Meister

Sep 22, 2017
    36.395884, -78.710617
    I do not even want to know.....

DrASATele, Boubou and Phrygian77 like this.
  15. Phrygian77

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    I knew that buying it, but I thought, there must be something here at least remotely similar to real truffles to make it marketable. Obviously, there's a surfer-esque component of truffles that is desirable.

16. Chunkocaster

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    Maybe they do use trained dogs and the Snufalufagus.:)

[​IMG]

17. jaybones

jaybones Friend of Leo's

I'd give a dash to mac and cheese. I worked with a well thought of chef who used it in his hallibut sous vide (cooking in vacuum bags in boiling water- 212 was as hot as it would get and the bag meant no flavors could escape).

He'd take a portion of the filet, wrap it around some roe then the it with an asparagus ribbon. Drizzle some white truffle oil in then use a Food Saver to seal it up.

When an order would come in a bag would be dropped in boiling water, 20 or so minutes later the bag would be opened and the 4oz piece of boiled fish would be placed whole atop an equally tiny amount of boiled parsnips (think tuna can size that had been pressed into a tower). Served on a 20" plate with sweet pea puree.

$40

He was a thin chef who idolized Gordon Ramsey and probably had a coke problem.

When things would go wrong he'd start berating and swearing at everyone. Throw things then storm out to the bar and get 2 pints of IPA (8%+) then disappear into his office for a few minutes then reemerge upbeat and happy like nothing had happened.

Reinforces my theory never trust a skinny chef.

Phrygian77 likes this.
  18. Phrygian77

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    Drink, drink, DRINK... keep urauns to yourself!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.