Tru Oil over waterslide - How many coats?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Reua95, May 25, 2019.

1. Reua95

Reua95 TDPRI Member

i was curious if some of you that have experience with this could give me an idea of how many coats it will take to bury the waterslide?

I have put 10 coats on so far, I have lightly sanded with 0000 just to smooth it up before the next days coats.

Thanks

2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

Up to 30 depending on how thick the water decal is.
    I get impatient and start loading the tru oil on thicker half way through. It just slows the dry time a little and I thin out the last few coats with white spirits to get a high gloss finish after levelling with micro mesh.

On average It takes around 20 thin coats. You will know when you get to the final coats as the decal appears buried. I sand very lightly a couple times throughout the process but you really need to take care not to sand through. Best to have too many coats than to sand through and mess the decal up. You can always sand a thick finish level but if you sand through to the decal it's game over.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    Treadplatedual and Larmo63 like this.
  3. Reua95

Reua95 TDPRI Member

Ok, thanks. I may try the thicker coats, I have hard time getting in more than two or three a day with work.

Sounds like I am headed in the right direction.....really wanting to get the guitar put together. I guess I am getting impatient.

4. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

I do a coat and let dry 3 hours, then another coat but the tru oil needs to be a new bottle to dry that fast and it's also dependant on climate, temp etc.
    If the bottle is old it takes a lot longer to dry. If I can rub my hand over it without feeling tacky it's ready for the next coat. (usually 2 to 3 hours)

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  5. Knowcaster

Knowcaster Tele-Holic

I have done it a couple of times. My general rule is, whenever you think you have enough coats on, you are about halfway done.

Treadplatedual and Jupiter like this.
  6. Reua95

Reua95 TDPRI Member

Doing it in Alabama in the summer, so very hot and sticky.

7. dan40

dan40 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

8. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

9. dan40

dan40 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

That's a shame. Wished I had stocked up on a couple of cans!

10. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Me too. I could have used this on my first build! If anyone knows of a similar product, please post it here.

11. Honza992

Honza992 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

This thread is very timely:)

Can i ask you all how you are doing the application over the decal? Doesn't the decal dissolve once the tru oil hits? Or do you cover your decal in something first? Doesn't rubbing it with your finger/cotton pad move or break it?

12. Treadplatedual

Treadplatedual Tele-Holic

Nope. Tru-oil is pretty mild. Let the decal dry first. After that, fingers is just fine.

15-20 coats will bury typical wateslide paper flawlessly. You can barely see the outline in a flash below, this was after 8 coats I believe.

You can also spray tru-oil with HVLP guns, mixed about 2-1 with naptha or mineral spirits - Tom Pettingill made some incredible lap steels that way.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  13. MrHamburger

MrHamburger Tele-Holic

Fwiw I’ve seen Fender CS guitars and vintage instruments that the decal is not completely buried. So maybe don’t obsess about it too much. If you do too good of a job it will look like a fake.

14. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Meister

In the older days the decal wasn‘t coated with lacquer. Looks cool!
    On my Thinline I used a stencil and acryl lacquer ON Truoil instead of a waterslide. Then 5 coats of Truoil on top:

17C6CBE6-178F-457F-BA15-E70260097B56.jpeg

6BAE9F7D-4E48-4EC6-B0DC-5F62C9EB7253.jpeg

15. MrHamburger

MrHamburger Tele-Holic

I love that font!

16. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

What do you mean by "bury?" One or two coats is enough to get it under some finish.

In short, the only real answer is, "When you're done." And that's a judgement call on your part – nothing we can answer.

17. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Tru Oil is a penetrating oil finish - essentially Danish oil. It has a tiny amount of resin in it and forms an extremely thin film - a small fraction of even a single coat of lacquer. I would never suggest it as a protective coating over a decal, but since you're already in process - somewhere around 30-50 coats will get you the rough equivalent of 2-3 coats of lacquer. Which is not much of a protective film.

"One or two coats" even of lacquer is not normally enough of a protective film over a decal - or wood. There are brushing varnishes and polyurethanes that can be applied in a couple of coats - but not very smoothly in most cases.

One coat of ANY product used as a guitar finish is NOT sufficient.

18. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

And this is why I used the terminology "some" finish, as part of a question to the OP about just how deep he wanted the decal...and then followed up with my final sentence, that it's really just up to him how deep he wants it. "Some" finish would be the bare minimum to get something over it. Is it enough for what the OP wants? Well...that depends on what the OP wants...hence the question about what he wants. To determine what's "sufficient" or not, we would need to know the goal/criteria of the OP. "Bury" is not really a finely descriptive term.

19. cleanheadsteve

cleanheadsteve Tele-Meister

let me put this to rest: according to Websters, it takes the number of stars in the sky x infininity before u finally give up and start over with something better. thank you.

20. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

True enough. I was clarifying the film-build properties of various products, which are poorly understood by most. When an OP says he wants to "cover" a decal (as opposed to "bury) with some product it's very unusual that the OP understands how truly thin a single coat of lacquer is - or that Tru Oil isn't intended to build a serious surface film at all - it's a penetrating oil finish.

Well, for a first post in a thread, that one is certainly unique. I'll admit to not having a single clue what you are saying or how it applies to the topic in discussion - or how you could could possibly think you you have the "juice" to put somebody else's thread "to rest". Also, FWIW fabricating definitions or quotes from published works is frowned on here.

Perhaps you could clarify in more straightforward language and within forum guidelines?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.