Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tru oil help

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Tollehouse Twang, Sep 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. GS37

GS37 TDPRI Member

May 27, 2017
    Oakland
    Thanks again, Mat. I think I'll just apply a few more coats of Tru-Oil, and that'll be it.

Mat UK likes this.

2. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Sounds like a good plan. The feel of tru-oil is great

3. Speedy454

Speedy454 Tele-Meister

Oct 1, 2013
    Highland, IL
    The reason I let the finish cure so long is because I value my customers.
    I will not send out a guitar that might fingerprint, be even slightly tacky or soft. I want that finish to be as solid and stable as possible. Also, as the finish dries/cures, it usually shrinks slightly. (except 2K). If any imperfections appear, I want to catch them before it gets put in a case and shipped.

OTOH, if it is a player for myself, as soon as it is dry enough to handle, I play it.

4. Tollehouse Twang

Tollehouse Twang Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2017
    Vista, ca
    Hey guys. Just did my first wet sand. Used 1500. There are lots of swirl scratches left over, naturally.

Do these get filled in with subsequent coats of TO? Do I need to do anything before continuing to build coats?

5. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Nah, subsequent coats should sort that out.

For future reference, in between sanding is just a gentle scuff to remove dust/nibs sat on the surface - a full wet sand isn’t necessary :)

6. Tollehouse Twang

Jul 24, 2017
    Vista, ca
    Sweet, thanks UK!

Mat UK likes this.

7. Tomasi

Tomasi Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2016
    Finland
    Or you could just tint the tru oil slightly with pigment or linseed oil based artist's oil color. I went full monty with it on this build: http://www.tdpri.com/threads/red-hot-tele.613705/ ;)

8. GS37

GS37 TDPRI Member

May 27, 2017
    Oakland
    Where in the USA can I buy a linseed oil based artist's oil tint that is close to an amber color? Thanks in advance!

9. edvard

edvard Tele-Holic

May 15, 2016
    Bremerton, WA
    I don't think there's a straight "Amber" color, but 3 parts yellow/1 part red should do it. Add sparingly and test it on some scrap pieces first. Also remember that age will darken it too, so go a bit lighter than what you want at first.

10. Tomasi

Tomasi Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2016
    Finland
    Pretty much every art supply story should have them at least in Europe. It's good to check the carrier medium stated in the tubes, currently there are some more modern paints with something other as a carrier. One brand (Fortunately pretty much the cheapest one) Winton by Winson & Cotman works well in my experience. http://www.winsornewton.com/na/shop/oil-colour/winton-oil-colour

On the link you see the color chart of this series, what to choose is a matter of taste. As these are artist's color they do mix VERY well and in predictable way if you are familiar with some color theory. So mixing your own hue is absolutely no problem.

Please note that paint/pigment extends the curing time. And it depends on hue how much more you need to wait. You can shorten that by adding some linseed oil based curing agent. Ask the clerk, they will know.

Some info and links to guide videos about the technique on another build thread of mine: http://www.tdpri.com/threads/funcaster.609638/

I'm happy to help if you have any further questions! I'm not an expert master builder, but I have some experience on this obscure approach.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017

11. GS37

GS37 TDPRI Member

May 27, 2017
    Oakland
    Thank you Edvard and Tomasi! I'm on my way.

12. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Holic

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    Switch to a coffee filter, there is no way a t-shirt is lint-free enough. Use less than you already are, don't use home depot steel wool since it usually has oil in it to keep from rusting, get the fancy liberon stuff from a woodworking store. 2000 grit wet dry lubed with mineral spirits is even better.

What kind of end result do you want? Also, how long are you waiting between coats? As many have said, and you can't say it enough, less is better (like vermouth in a martini).

FWIW the body I did recently with tru-oil was just 4 coats, wet sanded, then 2 more, cured for a month then burnished with liberon and wax for a beautiful and incredibly thin matte finish. It's best used this way I think, quick, easy, durable, bing bang boom done.

Mat UK likes this.

13. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    You do not need oil based tint. Any universal tinting colors will work fine.

14. Tomasi

Tomasi Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2016
    Finland
    And as mentioned, pure pigment in powder form without any carrier/solvent what so ever is compatible with everything. They are so fine though that one needs to be extra careful not to get it airborne and inhale it or otherwise get it all around while mixing in. Haven't tried any tints so I can't comment how their different solvents react. Good info from Silverface with experience about good compatibility on that.

15. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Meister

For tinting TruOil, oil based leather dye works excellent. I've used the Fiebings brand, but as long as it's an oil based dye, I imagine other brands would work equally well.

Best Regards,
    Geo.

16. Tollehouse Twang

Jul 24, 2017
    Vista, ca
    That looks incredible! I have a question on that piece of wood. Did you fill gaps of that wood with something? Epoxy? I have some cherry thats beautifully patterned but had a lot of weather cracks. I was thinking of filling with epoxy. Curious what you did!

17. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2013
    Southern Missouri
    Man , How in the heck did you do that.. If you started with a unfinished body on that one a account of how you managed that would be very interesting..

Raimonds likes this.

18. Raimonds

Raimonds Tele-Meister

Dec 1, 2014
    Latvia
    :) you can see the short story with pictures here:
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/tiger-claw-tele.762808/

Tommyd55 likes this.

19. The Angry Possum

The Angry Possum TDPRI Member

Nov 10, 2017
    Staten Island NY
    I just started my first ever tele build using tru oil on a 2 piece ash body. Pic enclosed. I did 2 coats of TO and the 3rd coat i used a golden oak satin stain by Minwax Polyshades so far. Didnt use any sealer. I put it on light and waited 24 hrs for each light light coat. I slightly polished it with a scotchbrite pad/3m polish pad, no steel wool. Then I used a clean rag to remove the dust etc. I'm going to do a 4th coat and see how it looks. I read that tru oil should be applied very lightly and dried at least 24 hrs a coat. I'm positive you can back to square one again on that body, with sanding etc. And if so, use the Tru Oil sparingly. Don't be disappointed, its a learning experience to us all on the forum.

20171113_175435.jpg

20171113_101038.jpg

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.