Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tru oil help

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Tollehouse Twang, Sep 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Tollehouse Twang

Tollehouse Twang Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2017
    Vista, ca
    I know this is a well covered subject but there's so many ways to apply and finish it. I'm having my first go at it with a beautiful Honduran mahogany body.

I'm 4 coats in and am steel wooling between but I'm getting a lot of streaks and witness lines. I'm applying with a t shirt cloth. I know it's early in the process to worry about final coats but will these streaks and lines show up below all the following coats?

Am I not wiping it off fast enough? Any help is appreciated.

2. Mat UK

Mat UK Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Is the wood sealed? Did you pore fill first? And how much oil did you use per application?

3. Tollehouse Twang

Jul 24, 2017
    Vista, ca
    Yes, I pore filled it with epoxy. There's a few spots where the fill got sanded out but they are small areas.

The first coat was heavy, spread for a couple minutes then wiped away. As much as I could get off. It gummed up very quickly, so I wiped off earlier than anticipated. Subsequent coats were light and applied by finger and wiped off even quicker because of the first coats experience (smudges and streaks)

Each coats seems to be getting better but I thought it best to be safe and ask for help. Instead of trial by error.

4. Tollehouse Twang

Jul 24, 2017
    Vista, ca
    And no sealer was used, sanded to 400 before TO application

5. Mat UK

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Ah, prep sounds good then.

From the word go, Truoil should be applied super super light. A spot of oil should be applied and rubbed in to the piece a bit like how french polishing works - a little bit of oil goes a long way. Applying too much will do as described, gum up and create an uneven finish with wiping streaks and witness lines. I think that first coat is where you went wrong - your subsequent coats have just been exaggerating it.

A guy who used to frequent these pages called Tom Pettingill used to do killer finishes - but the pics have disappeared into the ether courtesy of Photobucket.

Keep your coats lights - 3 a day - use a very fine steel wool to remove dust and nibs every 4-6 coats... and be very patient, it can take 30 plus coats to get a flat glassy finish. It took me months to finish a body in tru-oil...

You may need to sand back to start if you want to remove the witness lines

The Angry Possum likes this.

6. joealso

joealso Tele-Meister

Dec 25, 2012
    East Haddam, CT
    Lots and lots of very light coats. I'm working on a body now that probably has close to 40-50 coats. I apply 2 a day with very light wet sandings every so often.

7. Praxis

Praxis Tele-Meister

Dec 11, 2007
    Out There
    Is your bottle of Tru Oil new? Or has it been opened and sitting for a while? It tends to gum up when it sits around.

IME, a fresh new bottle, and thinned about 20% with mineral spirits works well without getting gummy.

jman72 and Tollehouse Twang like this.

8. Tollehouse Twang

Jul 24, 2017
    Vista, ca
    I actually opened it just a couple days ago. And I even went to the store and bought some mineral spirits and got home opened it up pour it into a cup and it was white like milk... So disappointed. I'll have to go back and get the right stuff

9. Tollehouse Twang

Jul 24, 2017
    Vista, ca
    I'll post some pictures later today and show you guys what I'm talking about. That way maybe I can get some more advice. I don't want to have to start over from scratch if I don't have to

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017

10. Tollehouse Twang

Jul 24, 2017
    Vista, ca
    Hey guys. I sanded the first coats off and started again.

New question..

After cured, is every coat supposed to look perfect? Like how you would want it to look? Or, would the perfection only be worried about on the actual last coat?

I'm just getting really discouraged bc the first two "new" coats looks like S!@# just like the first

11. Tollehouse Twang

Jul 24, 2017
    Vista, ca
    Do I just keep going or get every coat perfect?

12. Tollehouse Twang

Jul 24, 2017
    Vista, ca
    Or, maybe I'm just overreacting before letting it cure. It seems to look better after curing

13. Mat UK

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    It's not going to look great for a while. You won't start building a nice film until about 10+ coats.

Keep applying those coats very very thin, knock off any dust/nibs every 4-6 coats and keep going.

50 coats minimum for a finish that can then be sanded and buffed - even then you have to be so careful, I sanded through so many times on my first body.

Patience, patience, patience... and thin coats (did I mention that)

14. Mat UK

Feb 17, 2009
    London, UK
    Also, some pics wouldn't go amiss

Telegraphonic likes this.

15. Tollehouse Twang

Jul 24, 2017
    Vista, ca
    Thanks for the reply. Having a hard time capturing. After curing over night it looks better than it did last night.

Attached Files:

16. Tollehouse Twang

Jul 24, 2017
    Vista, ca

17. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    I'm backing up here.

What kind of "epoxy"? That is a very strange term for a grain filler and could create a glassy, slick surface that Tru oil can't get any "bite" on.

18. Tollehouse Twang

Jul 24, 2017
    Vista, ca
    Yeah, 5 minute epoxy. Spread on, fill the grain and I wipe almost all of the epoxy off before it cures. Leaving the pores filled and minimal sanding to do once it cures overnight.

It worked really well. And that was my first time.

19. Tollehouse Twang

Jul 24, 2017
    Vista, ca
    After about 4 coats of TO it's starting to look more uniform and glossy

20. edvard

edvard Tele-Holic

May 15, 2016
    Bremerton, WA
    I'll second Mat UK's advice. You can put down 2-3 coats a day, just keep it light, as if you're trying to wet it, not soak it. Also, see this post:
    https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...-get-a-high-gloss-from-tru-oil-finish.711780/
    Member Quarter had some GREAT photos of his lap steels he did in Tru-Oil that looked almost like a thin poly finish, until Photobucket went full jerk. Here's one I saved:
    [​IMG]
    Follow his directions and you'll get similar results, and others posted their experiences as well, they will all work as it's similar advice.

OFF TOPIC:
    Interestingly enough, to see the images, you can hover your mouse over the Photobucket "Please update your account" notices, right-click and "Copy image address" and post in another browser window/tab. Since you're viewing directly on PB at that point, you can see the pictures. It's a bit kludgy, but it works...

SecretSquirrel and Praxis like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.