Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tru Oil finish over paint?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by MattD1997, Feb 4, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MattD1997

MattD1997 NEW MEMBER!

Feb 4, 2017
    New Port Richey, FL
    So I'm about to start working on this guitar body that I purchased and I'm going for a rustic look. So im going to age the wood and I want a black burst around it. I originally wanted to use a dark ebony stain for the burst but it's a lot easier to paint the burst. So would tru oil be ol to use over that paint. The aging process is like a home made stain so there's still bare wood. If not what would you recommend? I've used wipe on Minwax poly, the Minwax spray poly clear gloss, and Valspar clear gloss, etc. I just really want to use the Tru Oil. Something about it seems more "authentic" if that makes sense.

2. edvard

edvard Tele-Holic

May 15, 2016
    Bremerton, WA
    I've seen a guy on Youtube who did Tru-Oil over paint, and there are probably people here who've done it; do a search for "Tru-Oil" in the box at the top-left of this page. It's possible and the results are pretty good. Not sure if the type of paint really matters, but in the video, it was artist's paint that was Linseed Oil based, like Tru-Oil.

Found it:

3. DrBanana

DrBanana Tele-Holic

Feb 22, 2011
    London

4. kidmo

kidmo Friend of Leo's

May 25, 2008
    Funkytown
    How is there bare wood if you paint the burst on?

5. MattD1997

MattD1997 NEW MEMBER!

Feb 4, 2017
    New Port Richey, FL
    Because I'm mostly only painting the edges everything else is bare wood.

6. kidmo

kidmo Friend of Leo's

May 25, 2008
    Funkytown
    Then I guess it wood (pun intended) depend on the type of paint. The guy in the video above used a oil paint with linseed carrier.

7. Tomasi

Tomasi Tele-Meister

Jan 26, 2016
    Finland

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.