Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Troubled Build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by wadeeinkauf, Apr 13, 2018.

1. wadeeinkauf

wadeeinkauf Tele-Holic

Sep 24, 2010
    Monterey CA
    Those of you that have built several guitars know that some builds go together really easy with no serious problems and some builds turn out to be builds from hell. This one was a pain. Because of problems I had with the neck….this particular piece of roasted maple was very prone to chipping on the router and I had to do some repairs to save it. I was using a set of pickups I had tested on another guitar and did not like very much. So because of these issues I decided to use a set of tuners I had that I no longer use. These are Gotoh tuners, good but require string trees which I hate. And when I installed a set of string trees from my extra parts box (which I had not used before) the screw twisted off. It is not possible get out a broken screw out without damage to the neck. Repaired it as good as I could, found some stainless steel screws to use. So rather than use one of my $60 Hipshot bridges I used a $8 ebay bridge I had in the extra parts box. Put it all together. The setup was completed in less than a hour. Intonation came in perfect; string action is great set at Fender specs at 1.6mm at the 17th fret with no string buzz. The guitar is a pleasure to play with no issues. They each have their own personality.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

The body is reclaimed wormy chestnut drop top on Sapele. The neck is roasted maple, 22 fret with a zero fret. The pickups are Seymour Duncan Full Shreds. I am still trying to decide if I like them. The body and neck are finished with Simtec 2K urethane. I really like the feel of this finish on the neck. It is very fast. It has standard wiring. I had these pickups in another guitar with wiring for serial, parallel and single coil. Having that capability was not useful in my opinion for these pickups which are VERY bright.

Undone, tewiq and Mincer like this.

2. RogerC

RogerC Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Oklamerica
    I know what you mean, Wade. I always end up cursing during some point of every build, but some of them have pushed me to the edge of my sanity (there's a particular blue guitar build that sticks out very strongly in my mind). Nice work on persevering on this one. It looks like it certainly paid off.

I'd love to hear more about the finish. How did you apply it, curing time, final finishing procedure, etc. I'm looking for a new neck finish for my builds.

Thanks!

3. wadeeinkauf

wadeeinkauf Tele-Holic

Sep 24, 2010
    Monterey CA
    Roger,
    I love this finish. Here is my thread on my test of this finish.
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/my-test-of-simtec-2k-urethane-fender’s-top-coat.704659/

RogerC likes this.

4. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 6, 2012
    North of Boston
    There should be a saying around these parts about instruments that struggle into existence.

All I can say is Hell yeah, more of them than not have there own wrinkle whether obvious or not. Birth marks, growing pains, a kin to a soul or some kind of mojo I hope!

wadeeinkauf and coonhollow greg like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.