Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Trouble with American professional bridge cover

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by death-to-yancey, Sep 23, 2017.

1. death-to-yancey

death-to-yancey TDPRI Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Indiana
    Hey guys,
    I did a little searching, and maybe I’m the only doofus having trouble or even wants to try the thing out, but either I’ve came up short. I’m trying to get this damn cover on and it is not cooperating. I’m afraid of it slipping and taking a big gouge out of the body, cause that’s definitely something that would happen to me. Anybody have a hard time getting the thing on? Or have any tips that I could use to make it easier on myself?

I suppose the next logical question would be, once I do finally get it on, if it doesn’t work for me how big of a pita will it be to get back off lol.

Thanks guys and ladies for any help!

2. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Is this like a regular vintage bridge cover? If so...

You probably have it positioned too forward, too much towards the neck.

Also, often, you have to, with your hands, bend/pull the sides out a little.

Sea Level likes this.

3. death-to-yancey

Sep 15, 2017
    Indiana
    It’s one of those little mini covers that pretty much only covers the intonation screws behind the saddles. It’s only about 3/4” wide so the sides are pretty stiff. I tried prying on them a little but it didn’t move much.

4. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Oh--now I understand. Sorry.

speedy mcfeely likes this.

5. Rufustelestrats

Rufustelestrats Tele-Meister

Big 15 lb sledge will loosen it some
    R
    :)

6. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    I don't know myself, but good luck. I'd want to try it too, just because. But I'm sure I'd never play with it on there. Chalk it up to just another reason why nobody actually uses those things.;)

7. death-to-yancey

Sep 15, 2017
    Indiana
    Yeah that’s why I asked the follow up question about getting it off lol. When a feller can’t find any info on it that’s usually a sign that it’s not worth it, but my curiosity has bitten me more than once and I’m sure this won’t be the last.

Mainly I’m just curious to try it out as a kind of location point for my palm. Palm muting is still something I need to practice, plus I have a habit of letting my right hand drift towards the neck without me realizing it. So I’m hoping maybe this little thing would give me something to latch onto so to speak.

Chicago Matt likes this.

8. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    It can't hurt to wrap a dish towel around a hammer and give it a few good zetzes (that's Yiddish for hits) to get it on there. Unless, of course, you have a rubber mallet. But who does?

Once you get it on like this, it will come off okay, since you've spreaded the lips on the cover sufficiently.

If you're worried about marking the body, just stick a few pieces of masking tape around the edges, maybe even layer them to make it thicker. That'll protect the finish from any marks.

9. Rufustelestrats

rubber and dead fall right here. If I ever get an old Ferrari with spinner knock offs then a lead hammer is next.
    R

10. death-to-yancey

Sep 15, 2017
    Indiana
    I just spent another 30 minutes wrestling with this thing and still no dice. I got it stretched out enough to go over but it will not, no matter how much force, sit all the way down flush to the body. Looking at it, the way the sides are flared out, I’m not so sure it can sit all the down. I may have received one that wasn’t quite cut to the right size. Oh well, I love the way it looks and plays without it.

11. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    That is fate telling you to stop. Anchor your wrist on the body and if you want to mute, the edge of your hand on the (uncovered) bridge.

12. Ooba Tooba

Ooba Tooba Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2017
    Toledo Ohio USA
    Can you take it to where you purchased it and see if they can get it on for you? I put mine on in about 10 seconds, although it was very tight. Looked really nice and felt great while playing.
    /so good I bought another when it popped up on Reverb. It's not an item Fender sells separately, so it was from someone's new Am. Pro series.

13. Rufustelestrats

I love it. This is why when the originals had the ash tray, oh sorry, I mean bridge cover, it was used as an ash tray.
    R

14. death-to-yancey

Sep 15, 2017
    Indiana

15. Darkness

Darkness Tele-Holic

Apr 7, 2016
    Stygian Gulf
    Post a pic of it on your bridge (not someone else’s from the net). Let us see what it looks like. Perhaps someone will have more insight then.

16. Ooba Tooba

Ooba Tooba Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2017
    Toledo Ohio USA
    I slid mine on, so to speak, from the back of the bridge.
    /as opposed to trying to press it straight on.

17. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Folks, I think we might have a winner here.

18. death-to-yancey

Sep 15, 2017
    Indiana
    I tried that at first, but got no where with it, and a slip doing that is what first scared me about scratching the finish lol. But now that I have it bent a little wider I’ll give that approach another shot.

19. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    This has to be so freaking aggravating.

But remember that we're all rooting for you.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.