Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Trouble with a buzz in the Amp

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Tele612, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Tele612

Tele612 TDPRI Member

Feb 21, 2017
    Texas
    Hey, this post is for anyone who knows about the inter-workings of guitars. So this is the problem: There is a buzzing sound coming from my fender new Fender Mustang Amp that Varies day to day. Sometimes it's overwhelming and other days it's barley noticeably. I know it's my Telecaster Modern player that is the cause because I've tried 2 different amps and three different chords.
    Sometimes when I adjust the tone knob to a more, kind of muted kind of sound, it almost completely kills the buzz. Also, when I rotate the Tele in the air so its flat on its back, the buzzing reduces alot. If I hit the chord connecting the guitar and the amp, you can hear the sound of it hitting coming from the amp. last thing, when I switch to the Strat pickups, it lessens and sometimes completely stops the buzz. If you need anymore info from me just ask. If you have any idea of whats wrong, please respond. I'd be so happy if you could help me out, thanks!

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Ime, everything you describe is normal. If you are on the bridge pickup in himbucking mode and you are touching the strings, the noise should not be there. If you are not touching the strings or bridge or any other ground point such as the metal of the output Jack or the control plate, the guitar will create the type of noise you describe. If you are in any single coil mode, there will be single coil hum noise. Proximity to the amp exacerbates noise problems. Orientation of the guitar to the amp will increase or decrease noise. Some cables are noisier than others and will create those noises you hear.

And welcome.......

Rod Parsons likes this.

3. Tele612

Tele612 TDPRI Member

Feb 21, 2017
    Texas
    When I touch the strings or any of the metal, it's like a layer of the sound goes away, but there is still an unbearable buzzing sound left. If the buzzing sound was only there with volume way up, I could see that as normal. The buzzing goes up with the volume, but is still quite loud at low volumes.

4. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Tele612, Does this noise exist with the humbucker bridge p-up in the humbucking mode?
    Note: do not sit really close to the amp when doing your evaluations....or playing for that matter.
    IF the guitar is noisy in the humbucking mode, maybe you need a tech> Texas is large...where are you?

5. Tele612

Tele612 TDPRI Member

Feb 21, 2017
    Texas
    Yes, it does exist with the humbuckers. It exists with all the pickups, except sometimes it goes away when I use the Strat pickup. (I have Tele, Strat, and Humbucker pickups.)

6. Wally

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Does this noise exist in other amps? I ask because the humbucker should yield your quietest operation. A strat pickup is a single coil..traditionally....as is the Tele neck. Single coils generate hum....humbuckers don't....hence 'humbucker'.
    You may have problems outside of the guitar. What appliances, lights, fans, phones etc are in the area.

7. Tele612

Tele612 TDPRI Member

Feb 21, 2017
    Texas
    Yes, the noise is still there in another amp I have, but a little less loud. I'll try playing the amp in a difffernt place when I get home.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.