Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Trouble shooting new PR clone build

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by bryansbizaar, Mar 17, 2017.

1. dan40

dan40 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Aug 19, 2015
    Richmond Va
    I mispoke earler about the light bulb lighting up without a rectifier installed. The filament circuit is still heating the tubes and drawing current so the bulb would be dimly lit. Beautiful work on the amp. I will study the pics to see if anything stands out.

2. dan40

Aug 19, 2015
    Richmond Va
    Is your diode backwards on the bias board? Hard for me to see on my phone right now. It appears backwards as the anode should be closest to the 100k resistor.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  3. aerhed

aerhed Tele-Meister

Dec 24, 2016
    Boulder, WY
    Yellow wires on rectifier appear to be on side by side pins. That's wrong if I'm seeing right.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. bryansbizaar

bryansbizaar TDPRI Member

Jan 19, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I'm pretty sure the bias board follows the AA1164 layout except the wire coming in from the bias pot instead of the intensity pot.

The yellow wire on the upper bias corner goes to pin 4 of the rectifier. The white, blue and gray wires are capped off together. They are for universal voltage wiring options.

The yellow wires from the transformer are soldered to the top holes of pins 2 and 8. I'm not sure what side by side pins are.

The silver end of the diode diode is oriented towards the 100k resistor in the pic. I thought the silver end was positive. Is this incorrect?

I did just swap the diode around so the black end is toward the 100k resistor, but the lamp still glows bright.

6. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2012
    United States
    The diode stripe should be toward the bias input (transformer).

7. bryansbizaar

bryansbizaar TDPRI Member

Jan 19, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I'm happy to report that the issue is officially resolved, at least as far as I can tell.

The problem: I had capped the 3 unused primary wires (white, blue, gray) all together. Once I separated and capped them individually, the bulb did not light up (or stay on as before) when powering up the amp.

I tried it off the limiter and it sounds great! And the fuse didn't blow.

Thank you all for your input and for taking the time to help me sort this out.

dan40 and David Barnett like this.
  8. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2012
    United States
    Cool, your light bulb limiter saved your power transformer (or maybe just a fuse). Congrats on solving a vexing problem and getting your amp up and running.

9. dan40

Aug 19, 2015
    Richmond Va
    Congratulations! Looking at the pics on my phone last night had me thinking the diode was wrong. Glad you got her up and running!

10. aerhed

aerhed Tele-Meister

Dec 24, 2016
    Boulder, WY
    Yeah, sorry if I wasn't seeing the pics right. Good noise from the amp means I was all wrong.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.