Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tried a Affinity Telecaster locally

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Reverend Bow, May 8, 2017.

1. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    You really do learn something every day.

Both my Affinity and Standard Squiers are pencil thin, and I thought all "regular" style Squier Teles were also.

2. MuddyWolf

MuddyWolf TDPRI Member

May 11, 2017
    Paradise, Ca
    I bought one of these yesterday. Chunky neck, bigger and almost looked wider than an american standard tele that was sitting on the floor.

3. a220

a220 TDPRI Member

Sep 18, 2015
    South Jersey
    BSB affinity owner here. love the neck, awesome texture. I tried the classic vibe tele (lots of shiny coating on the neck) at the store and the affinity neck blows it out of the water. if one needs the affinity neck darkened it seems to be easy from what I've seen in a video a certain shoe polish can get it to a nice match to the affinity bsb color or any guitar you use that neck for, seems to have potential because no shiny coating

Edit:
    That said I chose the affinity because I knew it was good enough of a tele for me and saved money, yeah the killer neck is priceless in a way but I do find that the guitar needs another bridge. or at least better saddles. other than that I'm not going to worry about changing the pups or anything. it might be thinner in sound than the higher end teles, but I play into the computer and love to enhance digitally. besides I like the idea of keeping it to it's original affinity tele sound :D instead of modding this one I'll just get a kickass tele one day that'll have the enhancements I'd want

Last edited: May 13, 2017

4. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2004
    Stratford, Ontario
    I got a particular vision and went to town on mine. But that neck IS one of the still original parts, along with the body. Everything else, though....:D

5. LoveHz

LoveHz Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2014
    Kent, UK
    I'm looking for a cheap Tele to use as a back- up on gigs. How do Squier Affinity Teles stack up alongside SX brand Teles, which are even cheaper? I'd have to buy online as I have no local SX stockist -- OK I can send it back, but that's a load of messing about.

6. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    Bought two of them back in 06 or 07. Both ended up with having most things changed. None of them could be played at volume with the band they just squealed really bad.

I have no idea if they are the same now , but they had 500K pots , a crappy jack , the six saddles rattled badly , and the neck was too narrow at the nut for my fat fingers.

My son still have his , he doesnt play it much , its got a MM neck , different pickups , pots , switch but have the six saddles still , and they still rattle , LOL...

I did the conversion to three saddles on mine along with all the rest of he mods , only the body was stock.
    Ended up with returning it to stock , and gave it to my bass players kid who wanted to start playing

Its much better to get a CV Model which is a rather good guitar out of the box.
    If you dont like the CV models , get a used MIM...

7. bchaffin72

Aug 14, 2004
    Stratford, Ontario
    Mine,which is a 2014, didn't rattle, but did have 500k pots and a crappy jack and jackplate, yes. But all that's gone now.

8. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Jan 23, 2007
    Denmark
    I think the most annoying thing is that most parts with vintage measurement wont fit.

I actually love the slimmer body , but : while you can install an electrosocket , the screw holes for the oem plate will show.

The bridge plate can be converted to vintage 3 saddles , and it works fine .

The plate is longer though , and it looks kind of weird. The bridge pu is slanted less than on a vintage bridge , more like on a Strat. I had to remove wood in the rout for the bridge pu , when installing a normal pu ( SD Broadcaster ) with base plate.

If you install a vintage style bridge , you will have to drill for string through holes , and the screw holes from old bridge will be visible.

Thats what I love about the CV Teles , everything with vintage measurements will just fit.

Those guitars only really need a decent switch and an electrosocket to be gig worthy , IMO. Even the stock pu's sound great to me.

9. bchaffin72

Aug 14, 2004
    Stratford, Ontario
    That's exactly what I had to do. The last thing to go on were a set of vintage tuners. With these, the last of the Affinity hardware is gone. But none of it was drop in. Body and neck are both modified for the fit. Luckily, since I refinished too, I was able to fill and hide the old holes.

10. fretknot

fretknot TDPRI Member

Nov 18, 2016
    St Petersburg, FL
    The BSB are all solid wood bodies with fewer joints....the colored finish models are made up of more pieces to build up the body, with a veneer top and back. Ask me how I came to know this...

11. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    They put the veneers on them because when they make the bodies, they don't really classify them as a painted or natural tone/stained finished guitar at that stage. A multi-piece body can get pretty funky with natural/stain.

I guess also that painting a veneer has manufacturing advantages (how it holds the paint, etc.), but JUST a guess.

12. fretknot

fretknot TDPRI Member

Nov 18, 2016
    St Petersburg, FL
    I owned a woodworking shop and worked in that trade for twenty five years. Your guess is accurate - it's true that for a paint grade or sunburst finished body, a veneer surface is better for uniformity of finish.

The only Affinity Tele I've seen without veneer are the BSB models. They're all solid, with fewer joints.

13. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

At least THAT one was. My experience is they vary too much. Obviously one reason they are cheaper is less quality control. Frankly I'd always go a good used CV than an Affinity. Or at the very least would never buy an Affinity unless I held it and tried it.

14. Burn Yesterday

Burn Yesterday TDPRI Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Durham, NC, USA

Wait, that's the point. Width is width. Thin and fat is the thickness of the neck. When you say that a neck is thin, you mean that the distance front-to-back is small. Not the width.

Ira7 likes this.

15. Burn Yesterday

Burn Yesterday TDPRI Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Durham, NC, USA
    Yeah, you can look across a black-painted Epiphone and clearly see the planks of wood.

16. barnbustud

barnbustud Tele-Holic

May 23, 2005
    asia
    just tried an affinity in artic white , it felt so good in my hands , the neck was just....perfect.

nicod98 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.