Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tried a Affinity Telecaster locally

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Reverend Bow, May 8, 2017.

1. Reverend Bow

Reverend Bow TDPRI Member

May 5, 2017
    Yuma, AZ
    Well, I swung over to the only local guitar store at lunch and they had one Squier Affinity Telecaster in Arctic White ... Not the color I'm looking for, but...the maple neck I'm wanting...

That is a chunky neck!

The guitar felt pretty good and the $199 price tag isn't too bad...

I'm looking for a 2 tone burst, it is is good to know the Affinity is not bad at all... after the cheese grater fret ends would be filed off...

What is the big difference between the $199 model and the $149 model?

2. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    They're hit and miss. I tried one and something was weird with the top loader bridge. It sounded like a banjo on the e and b strings. The other one sounded great but had the hardest clashing grain patterns at the clues together pieces I've ever seen. I have liked the necks on them a lot though.

3. Reverend Bow

May 5, 2017
    Yuma, AZ
    $50... thanks... :twisted:

Yeah, the top loader bridge was 1 thing I didn't dig...

4. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 24, 2015
    west of I-10
    I'll take a toploader any day.
    Holes in the body are a rather obvious tone leak.
    Keep an eye on G/C online for a used Affinity in your color.
    $100 to $150

jvin248, 5ofeight and Vespa_One like this.

5. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    Can't tell if serious or if this is a real TDPRI thing.

awasson and Zesty feline like this.

6. Reverend Bow

May 5, 2017
    Yuma, AZ
    I can't see a "Tone Leak" by running the strings through the body, I can see better transfer of string vibration... which is probably why MIM/MIA teles are thru-hole...

awasson likes this.

7. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    I suspect it has to do with cost.... drilling holes costs money, ferrules cost money, .... not much, but on such cheap guitars every penny counts

awasson likes this.

8. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2004
    Stratford, Ontario
    There do seem to be inconsistencies. My Affinity strat has a quite slim (sometimes cramped feeling)neck.
    The Affinity tele,on the other hand, has an almost standard size neck and better playing feel.

a220 likes this.

9. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    You really thought the neck is chunky?

I thought all Affinities, let alone 90% of the Standards, had the thinnest modern C's they made.

10. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    another urban legend... some people don't know the difference between a narrow neck and a thin neck.

I have 20+ squier telecasters and the thinnest neck is on my CVC.

The only problem with some Affinity necks are sharp fret ends, but that can easily be solved.

Burn Yesterday likes this.

11. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Uhhh...

It's pretty easy to distinguish between a fat back neck profile and a thin one.

Chunky indicates fat, which sure isn't Affiinity territory.

12. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    I wouldn't call them thin either

There is also apparently some difference between telecasters and stratocasters.

13. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Friend of Leo's

Aug 14, 2004
    Stratford, Ontario
    I definitely wouldn't say mine is fat, in that traditional "baseball bat" sense. But it is heftier than the strat neck.

That's my experience so far. The strat is 40mm at the nut, with closer string spacing. The tele is 41mm,with standard string spacing. When I put the full size Tusq nut on it, the string spacing stayed exactly the same. I just had to file a bit of overhang on the ends.

14. 5ofeight

5ofeight Tele-Holic

Oct 17, 2016
    Glasgow
    I have one in BSB, I agree that the neck is chunky but somehow it feels right and correct, I don't have another Tele to compare it to so I am not sure just what a Tele neck is supposed to be like... Anyway, I picked mine up about a year past, used and under priced at £80, which at today's exchange rate is $103, Happy hunting for the 2 tone burst.

a220 likes this.

15. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    I've played the current affinity next to an American Pro, a 52avri, a Baja and a deluxe thinline (with modern c). The affinity neck was basically the same profile as the Baja and thicker than the am pro. Significantly thicker than the modern c. Not as thick as the 52avri

16. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    Squier tele neck carves are all over. I have one affinity that matches mim and a standard that matches squier strats. Squier strats are pretty uniform thin.
    Many mim and mia feel thicker due to heavy poly coat.

nicod98 likes this.

17. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Holic

Dec 22, 2010
    Atlanta
    Yeah, that was the thing that amazed me about the butterscotch affinity I played. Chunky neck even though it was completely bare wood.

18. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

Oct 28, 2015
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    My 98 Affinity had a toothpick for a neck. Thinner even than my CVC

Hughmart likes this.

19. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

That white Affinity sounds great.
    Mine is a BSB, and while I love the guitar, I do wish the neck was a little thicker.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.