Tri-Sonic in a Tele?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by IMadeYouReadThis, Dec 7, 2018.

1. IMadeYouReadThis

IMadeYouReadThis Tele-Meister

Anyone done it before? Just looking at tele neck pickup alternatives. I'm ultimately debating an Alnico III tele neck or a salvaged Tri-Sonic from Stratsphere Parts.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  2. IMadeYouReadThis

BUMP...

3. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Be one with the Guinea Pig. I've seen some in a Strat, but not a Tele.

4. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Try it. A simple mod you can swap back or to something new later if you decide you don't like it.
    What about a Strat neck, the Tri-sonic as a middle pickup, and stock Tele bridge?
    Either a Strat 5-way switch or a blender stacked tone pot like Brent Mason?

5. IMadeYouReadThis

How do you think the tone would differ?

6. NothingGoatboat

NothingGoatboat Tele-Meister

My friend had one in his strat Bridge Position. It sounded really muddy when mixed with the low output strat pickups, and by itself was not anything amazing. If youre looking for a Brian May tone, you'll get it. If not, then I'd stick with traditional pickups.

7. IMadeYouReadThis

Good to know. With a relatively small number of people who have tried the Tri-Sonics for an extended period of time, you hear lots of different descriptions. Some say mud, others say bright and brittle, some say smooth and chimey, and I even once heard someone say they had the "Tight bass response with that classic vintage sag." WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN!?!!??!?!?

I honestly could never get a good reading on what they sound like. If only my GC would stock some Burns guitars...

Anyway, I think I'm gonna stick with the alnico III tele pickup. That is, unless I find an alnico 6 lipstick or an old gold foil or something else funky for cheap. Some good experimentation is hard to pass up.

EDIT: As much as I love Brian's tone, I'm not particularly going for that. I've just been looking at too many alternative pickup designs recently. Especially those old Teisco pickups...some of them are wild!

NothingGoatboat likes this.
  8. NothingGoatboat

Ive heard gold foils sound amazing, so I wouldnt hesitate to try those. I think theres a reason Brian May had to use trebly amps with a treble booster, those pickups are pretty muddy. Good luck with your search, i hope it works out for you!

9. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

The Tri Sonics have a high resonant peak and high degree of eddy current attenuation, with the voicing you get from having only one coil beneath the string. So it's like a single coil Filter'tron.

Whether someone thinks thats good for distortion or not has everything to do with a person's wants and needs. It's not objectively bad, it lends it'self to a fuzzier tone. I really liked how they sounded through a Biff Muff. I see people who just seem to want a "PAF through a Marshall" tone from any and all gear they try, I don't understand why they don't just stick with that formula, if that is going to be the only tone they find usable in their own music.

10. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

No experience, but there are videos.

11. IMadeYouReadThis

You make a good point. I won't lie, I'm not sure what an Alnico III tele neck sounds like. I was thinking it would be a good replacement for a muddy tele neck as Alnico III is weaker and brighter. How muddy is a trisonic compared to a sub-par tele pickup?

NothingGoatboat likes this.
  12. NothingGoatboat

To my ears, the trisonic kinda sounds like a strat middle pickup, almost. It may have been the pickup height, but it sounded muddy and quacky, which I dont believe is what you want. Ive had good experiences with tele neck pickups, but its all in the pickup height. For instance, if you move the pickup very close to the strngs or very low, it makes an enormous difference. GFS makes both Trisonics and tele neck pickups, so maybe try out some of this is you really want to get serious. I think alnico 3 or alnico 2 sounds great in a neck pickup.

13. IMadeYouReadThis

Thanks. Sounds like the standard neck pickup is what I want. Anyone had experience with Bootstrap pickups? I'm looking at the Original Tele set.

14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

I've been curious to try some trisonics for decades but never found any with no guitar attached, and now that they are making them again in China they still don't seem to come up cheap enough to seem worth trying out for curiosity.

AFAIK the coolest distorted trisonic sounds are running two in series, which again AFAIK is how Brian gets or got his sig tones.
    Could be wrong though, not sure where I read that.

WRT choosing an A3 neck pup to get away from your muddy cheapo, AFAIK A5 is generally the brighter alnico, with A2 and A3 being softer magnets which will soften the tone of an otherwise identical pickup.

OTOH IDK how your fave pickup maker makes their A3 pickup, if they want brighter from it they can make that happen regardless of magnet.

Another reason I'm less interested in trying trisonics is that I've pretty much concluded that I don't like the sound of a steel pole pickup compared to a alnico pole pickup.

Anybody know if the current Burns TS pups have nickel silver covers?
    If they are brass I just have no interest at all.
    I suppose the wind could be brighter to compensate for the tone darkening of a brass cover...

15. IMadeYouReadThis

I've actually found A5 to be pretty harsh. Too scooped (I like my mids). I mainly just don't like bass in general. We have bass players for a reason, so to avoid stepping on their toes I like cutting tones with just enough bass to add body. There's a reason I play mostly Blackfaces and AC30s. :D

Anyway, my current pickup is an overwound A2. I've got the height set just below the "sweet spot" (matched volume to bridge) to minimize output reasonably AND the pickup's angled toward to treble side. I've heard A3 is slightly brighter but less harsh than A5. Combine that with a slightly lower output wind and I think I have a winner. Only time will tell.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.