Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tremolo Placement...Just When I Thought I Was Done

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by JJAdams1956, Jan 3, 2018.

1. JJAdams1956

JJAdams1956 Tele-Meister

Dec 14, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I’ve got a Carl Martin tremolo pedal on the way and a slot ready for it after the distortion pedals. According to their website, it should be placed before distortion:

“ Remember, the Trem is an amplitude (volume) effect, and should therefore be placed before distortion, eq’s and delay/flangers.

I’ve always placed tremolo after dirt but before delay and reverb. Where do you put yours?

2. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

Feb 17, 2007
    Portugal
    I liked the Supatrem before my drive pedals cause it was also acting as a boost.
    It also smooths the tremolo effect so it doesn't affects the note attack so much. You only really notice when the note is sustaining.
    Right now I'm using the tremolo on my Boss MS-3 and I don't notice much difference before or after dirt pedals.

3. Platefire

Platefire Friend of Leo's

Nov 3, 2003
    North Louisiana around Many
    Most pedal set up intruction says to put it at the end of your pedal chain along with modulation, reverb/delay and drives such as OD/Dist/comp in front. Of course rules seem to be made to be broken:>)

4. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jan 24, 2011
    Colorado
    I've noticed that a lot of pedal makers recommend that their pedal be placed first in the chain. I've seen it on ODs, distortions, fuzzes, wahs, octaves, harmonizers, sustain (Plus pedal), and even tremolos (Zvex Sonar and Carl Martin trem). They can't all be first.

Danjabellza, Lars F and jddub440 like this.

5. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    No, they cant all be first but ANY of them can be. I just went through this and wound up with it at the end of the mod chain. It sounds most effective after reverb/echo IMO. It seemed to get lost every where else.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018

6. jclute

jclute TDPRI Member

Jan 5, 2017
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I like it at the very end. Dan on That Pedal Show, had a good point on one of their episodes. If it was built in the amp it would be at the end.

RetroTeleRod likes this.

7. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Holic

Mar 30, 2017
    Port Arthur TX
    Definitely after the dirt pedals..

8. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Friend of Leo's

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    Once I put it after my reverb pedal there was no going back for me. Last last last :):):) (For me anyway)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    jddub440 likes this.

9. hongaku

hongaku Tele-Afflicted

Dec 14, 2011
    Oakton, VA, USA
    I generally like trem near the end of the chain, after delays but before reverbs. But it’s workable in many spots and you’ll know when you hear it if it’s what you’re looking for. Try it everywhere in the chain and don’t worry about if it’s “correctly” placed or not.

10. JJAdams1956

JJAdams1956 Tele-Meister

Dec 14, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I'll post an update in a few days...looking forward to experimenting.

Danjabellza likes this.

11. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    Normally I would place it using your classic thing you describe at the end of the post, but I have no doubt some tremolo pedals may sound better another way. Also "it should be" makes no sense, you should do it how you like it better.

12. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    I go everything, then delay>tremolo>reverb>amp. Why? If I'm using another amp with onboard tremolo, the reverb will be before it(no fx loop). Anyone with delay on the floor and amp trem does this, and has for decades.

I tried reverb>trem>amp, prefer the other way around.

dblues likes this.

13. King Creole

King Creole Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jan 24, 2011
    Colorado
    Best to use one's ears, as the others have said. Some people like the sound of a choppy tremolo before dirt because it reacts differently with the distortion for a more sputtery sound. If you're going for classic amp tremolo sounds, you'll probably want it last. If you want other sounds, you might put it elsewhere.

14. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's

Dec 29, 2006
    Potsdam, NY
    My TR-2 is dead last in my effects chain, unless you could a modest amount of tube overdrive in my amp. I don’t use reverb so I can’t offer an opinion on where tremolo should go wrt ‘verb. I will point out, however that Fender Reverb amps like the Twin and Deluxe have the tremolo after the reverb.

15. supersoldier71

supersoldier71 Tele-Holic

Nov 22, 2009
    Fayetteville, NC
    My Moog Minifooger Trem is the first pedal in my effects loop, ahead of a BF-3 Flanger and a Cathedral reverb. I've tried it and a TR-2 that I recently gave to my dad in various places and to my ears, that spot works.

I prefer a more traditional tremolo sound, and into either my Peavey Classic 50 or Jet City 20W combo (non-reverb), it works for me.

I send either a Digitech Whammy or Crybaby Wah into my distortion-pedal-of-the-day into the front of the amp.

16. Thin69

Thin69 Friend of Leo's

Oct 28, 2009
    Galveston, TX
    Near the back end of the chain.

17. JJAdams1956

JJAdams1956 Tele-Meister

Dec 14, 2016
    Los Angeles
    C218A451-E814-49D1-BA95-468BA0D23F93.jpeg

UPDATE:

Received the tremolo today...it’s a beautiful sounding trem and after several hours of testing, I think it’s good between the Route 66 and Biyang overdrive. It has a slight boost when engaged. There is a subtle difference if using the overdrive in the Route 66, which is before the trem, and using the Biyang, which is after. This setup incorporates Carl Martin’s recommendation of before overdrive and the general TDPRI consensus of putting it after, which I agree with...appreciate everyone’s input.

Danjabellza likes this.

18. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Leo put it after the reverb

PigBoy likes this.

19. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2015
    Seligenstadt, Germany
    I use a Strymon Flint and there the trem even comes after reverb (although that can be changed).
    But even with other configurations I had the trem in the effects loop, i.e. after drive-pedals/preamp-section.

Garage_Band1 likes this.

20. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Jul 15, 2013
    Europa
    Yeah .. I like it at the very very end as well ... after the reverb :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.