Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Tremblelux vs original 5G9 Tremolux

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Philbert_S, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Philbert_S

Philbert_S TDPRI Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Illinois
    Hello All,

A year or two ago, I came into a used Louis Electric Tremblelux. I think it is an early model. The 5w single ended / 21 Watt switch has been removed and replaced with a plug, and it has a ground lift switch. It has a G12H 30W in it. It has Tung-sol 6V6's and a tung sol rectifier tube. I like the amp for certain things, but it can sound a little harsh with my strat (59 AVRI) from time to time. It is a little strident...maybe "percussive" is the word.

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to play a late 50's 5G9 tweed tremolux, which the Tremblelux was supposedly based on. It sounded amazing. I think it had a Jensen in it. It was smoother, more mellow sounding. It was definitely not as loud. Not as "in your face". The tremolo seemed more organic. It's hard to describe.

Reading more about the tremblelux, it's not clear what the actual circuit differences are. I've seen it written that he "changed the output section" (whatever that means). So what I'm wondering is:

1) Does anyone have an idea what the actual circuit differences are, and if so...
    2) Would it be feasible to get my tech to tweak the circuit back to original tremolux spec? I think this would be more cost effective than buying a $4k antique that I would be afraid to take out.
    3) Would a speaker change tame some of the "harshness" I'm talking about. Wondering if I should get a weber version of a P12r or something to be more like the original Tremolux. Something less efficient than the G12H30.

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017

2. corliss1

corliss1 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Sep 13, 2008
    Lansing, MI
    From what I'm seeing this is a completely different amp than the original. Original was 2x6V6, yours is 2 6L6. While I couldn't find a schematic, here's what I know from some quick research:

1 - nope, except it uses different output tubes, which implies the voltages, output transformer, and general feel of the power section will be different.
    2 - Your feasible and my feasible are likely different. I believe anything can be done if you have the will and the dollars. If you wanted an exact clone you'd be better off selling the amp and getting a good tremolux clone that follows the original schematic if that's the sound you liked.
    3 - Maybe? Questions like this are so subjective it's always hard to say.

King Fan likes this.

3. Philbert_S

Philbert_S TDPRI Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Illinois
    Thanks. Actually, it has 6V6's in it. I think he changed to 6L6's in later production runs. Although, I suppose some knucklehead might have just stuck 6V6's in there without knowing what he / she was doing...

4. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Some good pics of the circuit might give enough clues as to what that amp is. Otherwise, the amp would have to be in the hands of a good tech who could analyze the circuit for you.

5. Philbert_S

Philbert_S TDPRI Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Illinois
    I'll see if I can shoot some good gut shots.

6. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Cool, I would like to view the inside of one of those amps anyway. I would want to know what rectifier is there....if tube, what tube? the value of the filter caps..especially the first stage...is of interest because that stage can really affect what comes out of the output section. One would also want to know the biasing numbers. IF the amp is biased cold, it could be a direct clone of a 5G9 and not sound anything like it could with a warmer bias.

7. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    Haven't compared an P12R to a G12H30. But I have with a real C12R to a G12H30 Anniversary, the Celestion is unbelievably louder. How that equates to new Italian Jensens, Chinese Celestions or Webers I have no idea.
    Other than that tid bit I'm no help with these two amps.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.