Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Treble boosters

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Freewheeler, Mar 19, 2003.

1. Freewheeler

Freewheeler Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Helsinki, Finland
    Has anyone tried germanium transistorised treble boosters? The secret weapon of Clapton, Gallagher, Blackmore and Brian May. They all used a Dallas Rangemaster treble booster and there are real nice and even better sounding reissues around. I love my Texas Ranger pedal hand made here in FINLAND!

Try a treble booster with a tube amp! It puts a smile on your Tele! :)

2. CC

CC Tele-Meister

Mar 16, 2003
    Surfland USA, Hawaii
    My latest stomp box purchases are a few BSM treble boosters. I haven't had the opportunity to try the Texas Ranger or any other boosters; but the BSM's I've stumbled onto really do work well with Marshalls and Voxes!

The BSM's are expensive for what they are; especially knowing germanium transistors have no "shelf life" and decompose over time... But for now they sound great!

http://www.europeanmusical.com/new/bsm.html

3. decay-o-caster

decay-o-caster TDPRI Member

Mar 18, 2003
    San HoZay
    Yeah, my latest acquisition is the BSM RM Rangemaster clone.
    WOW! I couldn't imagine why you'd want to up the treble and then
    overdrive and distort it until I heard that pedal. It just makes it loud
    and it makes it cut. Wish it could be powered with an adaptor, wish
    it had an LED, yadda yadda, but damn, I love what it does.

4. cmcneil

cmcneil TDPRI Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA USA
    Anybody remember the EH "Screaming Tree" treble booster? Now that thing was like getting an icepick pushed through your eardrums...

Makes my fillings hurt just thinking about it. 8)

5. Freewheeler

Freewheeler Tele-Afflicted

Mar 17, 2003
    Helsinki, Finland
    That's just what a treble booster with a germanium transistor doesn't do! It adds boost to whole upper sound spectrum and distorts very nicely and tubelike. Never icepicky. It's sort of Brian May in a box sound. Works best with tube amps.

6. MJ Harnish

MJ Harnish Tele-Meister

Mar 18, 2003
    Hattingen, Germany
    Yeah the Screaming Tree is a LOT different than the Dallas Rangemaster trebleboosters. As previously mentioned, the Rangemaster clones really are boosting a lot more than just the high end of the signal and the germanium transistor used adds a subtle sweet-sounding distortion to the signal. The big problem with these things are that the circuit is really good at boosting all the upper frequencies including the hiss so they can be noisy. The Rangemaster is an interesting circuit b/c there are only about 5 components to the whole circuit.

7. cmcneil

cmcneil TDPRI Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA USA
    Uh-oh - now I feel a need to go check out a good one ;)

8. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    tree

Hehehe - I have a Screaming Tree that I keep around just as an example of tone gone awry.

Yikes, what a bad sounding unit. I wonder if anybody ever actually used one for a constructive purpose?

It does hold down one side of schematics on my bench though...if there's a breeze blowing I even put a battery in it for extra weight....

:lol:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.