Travis Picking

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by percy, May 11, 2019.

1. percy

percy TDPRI Member

Hello All!
    My interpretation of Travis picking

Chunkocaster and Slowpoke like this.
  2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

Nice, is that one of those acoustic strat body shaped Kramer or Fernandez guitars they put out in the 80's? Whatever it is it has a nice sound to it.

Last edited: May 11, 2019
  3. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

Nice playing!!! But the Travis signature style features a bass line and a Melody ...

4. rand z

rand z Friend of Leo's

Just fyi, many years ago I was talking to the late Gamble Rogers and mentioned "Travis Picking" (a style that Gamble mastered) and he firmly, but tactfully, told me it was a misnomer.

He said that the style was established in Eastern Kentucky by Arnold Shultz and later Kennedy Jones (among others) and that Merle picked it up from them.

I thought I'd pass it on out of respect to Gamble... he was a good man.

Random1643 likes this.
  5. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

Nothing new under the sun, as they say ... Travis popularized it, his name got attached and the rest is history ...

6. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

Buddy of mine won the Horizon Award by the National Thumb Pickers Hall of Fame during the International Home of the Legends Thumbpicking Weekend at the Merle Travis Music Center in Muhlenberg County in 2010

“Horizon Award — that means up and coming artists,” said Woods as he sat surrounded by guitars at Music Box Express in Ashland, his favorite place to hang out and pick a few tunes when he has a few minutes to spare.

Woods, also won the Grand Championship after the 2010 thumbpicking contest.

rand z, Raimonds and boredguy6060 like this.
  7. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

Now that’s Travis pickin!
    And damn good to boot.

8. mabley123

His dad was the best Travis Picker there was in the Ashland, Ky, Huntington Wva, Ironton Ohio area in the 60s. Josh was raised on that stuff, and also another favorite is Jerry Reed. His dad is around 70. And still plays. By the time Josh was
    Josh was only 21 when he won the 2 contests, and had only been serious about that style for only a bit over 1 year.
    Josh was a Shredder, and could play anything Malmsteen had on record by 10 years old. By Ear.
    He was better than his dad in 2 years, and he never got lessons from his dad, but he watched his dad. His dad never pushed him to play, but encouraged it, and it was always around. He got his 1st guitar I believe when he was 6.

He also opened for Thom Bresh. Merle Travis Son in Columbus. I believe a guy named Jim Volk got him the gig, and Jim is also a crazy good player, though he can play the Travis Picking stuff, he does his own thing... I love to watch Jim play. He wears me out just watching him.
    Josh also took some lessons, and got pointers from my friend Chris Kitchen. I really know Chris best, as we went to school together, and 2x older than Josh. Chris is mainly a Jazz player, and loves Pat Metheny. He can read, and write music, and knows everything technical, and also finger/picking hand execution, from Classical-Travis Picking-Shredding. Though he never does the shred thing per say. He can.

https://youtu.be/T4q0aKzz-dU

Whatizitman and rand z like this.
  9. mabley123

A man I knew ( deceased ) Sherman Gore AKA Sherm, knew MT personally, and they used to hang out, and get drunk most everyday, until Mr Gores wife ran him off. This was before he became famous.
    Mr Gore also served in the Philippines, and South Pacific..IE Borneo, and he said the military gave them all a book to recognize many of the predators ect there. And he said they saw all kinds of stuff there that wasn't in the book.
    1 story he told was when he was on the island of Mindanao, the second largest island. He was recon/alone, and was getting ready to cross a river, and heard thrashing nearby, so he investigated, and saw a Japanese soldier being eaten by a rather large croc, but he still had to go across the river downstream.
    Another they waited until low tide, and waded from 1 island, to the another.

10. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Would it be considered Travis picking if its blues in open tuning ?

exemple

mabley123 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.