Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Trapped by the eclipse!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Jupiter, Aug 12, 2017.

1. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Okay, so apparently there's an eclipse in the US on the 21st. When I planned my summer in Oregon, I didn't know anything about it, because who in Japan gives a rip about an eclipse in Oregon, right?

We flew into SFO and rented a car to drive to southern Oregon in July. Went really smooth and WAAY better than gambling with domestic flights in the US (had a nightmare experience with United at Christmas time), and I was thinking I was a genius.

Go to Expedia.com the other day to rent a car for the return trip (we are flying out on the morning of the 21st) and... there are no cars. NO CARS??

Turns out that every rental company office south of "the totality" is holding all vehicles for eclipse chasers. "Not releasing any vehicles for one-ways out of the area," they said. They aren't even necessarily booked, but they MIGHT get booked, so no cars.

What a bummer... Exploring other options now, but might end up having to buy one-way flights for a family of 5 to SFO...

2. SoulstormTX

SoulstormTX Tele-Meister

Jul 14, 2017
    San Antonio, Tx
    You could always bus it. It's miserable, but it may be your best option.

3. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    It's the end of the world anyway - I for one welcome our new Alien Overlords etc.....

brogh and AAT65 like this.

4. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Yikes, 3 kids and 5-6 suitcases.... guess I better check it out, though.

Toto'sDad likes this.

5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Uber?

Dan R and Lake Placid Blue like this.

6. AAT65

AAT65 Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2016
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Murrican trains can't hold a candle to the Shinkansen but maybe Amtrak could get you to San Francisco in a bit more comfort than the Greyhound...

7. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 24, 2015
    west of I-10

8. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Holic

Sep 20, 2011
    Sacramento
    I would check out amtrack too. It's probably not cheap, but may be less than flying.

Dismalhead likes this.

9. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    What's a Uber? Lol

100 miles to the nearest station...

Actually looked into a truck or cargo van there: no availability...

Toto'sDad likes this.

10. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 18, 2013
    West O' Philly, PA
    Hop a slow-moving train like all the other hobos.:D

Lake Placid Blue and AAT65 like this.

11. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    You could gamble and wait until Monday around 10:00 am and the rental car place will probably cut you a good deal.

12. otterhound

otterhound Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 14, 2008
    Manheim Pa.
    Try searching Uber . Where available , it amounts to privately owned transporters similar to a taxi .

13. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    Buy a less than stellar used car for the price of 5 people airfare. Sell it at your destination for whatever you can get for it. Might require a good detailing though.

AAT65 and Lake Placid Blue like this.

14. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Uber is something kind of like a lose nit cab service. My daughter uses them all the time. She and her hubby went to a Garth Brooks concert a week or two ago, got a hotel out away from where the show was held, and arranged for a uber service to pick 'em up and drop 'em off. I've heard stories about it not being safe, but quite a few family members have used it and no problems.

You can google it and find out all about it.

Dan R and Lake Placid Blue like this.

15. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Friend of Leo's

Sep 24, 2016
    California
    Stringbeans will be glad to show you how he does it

16. Jupiter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    I'm supposed to be boarding the plane at that time...

Yeah, I wonder what kind of price I'd get in the departures section of SFO. :lol:

Just kidding, of course I've read about uber, though it came into being long after I moved to Japan. Wonder if the guy could get a return fare from SF to S. Oregon...

17. Dan R

Dan R Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Charleston, SC
    Jupiter, my town is going to be exactly in the path of the eclipse. The hotels will be filled with people wanting to see it.

P.S. I drive for Uber part time a bit. If I feel like it, I drive on the weekends. You have to pass a vehicle inspection and a background check to drive.

18. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Are there any Oregon members here who would like a nice drive to San Francisco and the company of one of our nicest members and his family?

It sounds like an adventure.

19. don71

don71 Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2009
    Central Missouri
    I couldn't help to feel a little frustration about your situation. I would be more than upset if I were in your shoes. I don't like it.

A company provides a service, has a customer who wants it, but no....were saving it for the other customers who might need it next week. Makes me think the worst of any of them. Sure, they are going to sell out, but :mad: I'm betting any of the potential eclipse veiwers/drivers will be paying a premium for many services next week but I don't see the sense or the gamble on business...when its right in front of them now. Insert cuss words here_

Hope you enjoy your stay, and nothing else gets in your way.:)

RLee77 likes this.

20. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    Go ahead and reserve a car to see the eclipse and just change the rental agreement en route and drop it off at the airport. I've had to do this before.

Andy B likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.