Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Transtint dark vintage maple

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Megadethking851, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Megadethking851

Megadethking851 TDPRI Member

Sep 18, 2017
    Glendale, az
    Has anybody used transtint dark vintage maple, or the golden brown. I know the have pics of the color online but i would like to actually see it on a piece of wood. If anyone has pics please let me know. Im trying to get the right color. I dont wanna keep buying 5 different kinds because they get expensive. The honey amber looks to light for the color im looking for so i guess ill go with one of those two.

2. pwhite

pwhite TDPRI Member

May 3, 2011
    Liberty, SC
    I have both dark vintage maple and honey amber, I use the honey amber for my necks. What are you going to use it on and how are you using it?

3. Megadethking851

Sep 18, 2017
    Glendale, az
    Going to use it on a les paul quilted top and wanted to see how close to gwt this color, which color would be the closest.

Attached Files:

4. pwhite

pwhite TDPRI Member

May 3, 2011
    Liberty, SC
    Honey amber but a lot of it, this is what it looks like but you could go darker. The neck here is honey amber.

IMG_0216.JPG

5. Megadethking851

Sep 18, 2017
    Glendale, az
    Ok cool thanks for the advice how many coats u think. Cause i was gunna dye it and then sand it back a few times to get my quilted maple to pop. And do u have any pics of the dark vintage maple color too.

6. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    First - the color will be different depending on the piece of wood and dye concentration.

Second - there are no "coats" specific to dye. The concentration is key. Transtint is a concentrate - it's very rarely used straight out of the bottle and is normally let down with solvent in VERY small amounts. If it's too light it's probably the wrong color if you are using it straight - if you're reducing it use less reducer. OR use a darker tint, or blend up to 3 to get the shade you want - then let it down with the appropriate solvent to reach the right depth.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.