Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Transparent medium+ OD

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bigben55, Oct 10, 2017.

1. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    I've owned 2 OCDs. Both v1.7. They will do the job. I posted this mainly to see what ELSE is out there in that same transparent medium+ gain realm, cause there's only 10000 dirt pedals to choose from. It's like walking in to a store that sells 300 different types of craft beer. I stare at the racks for 10 min, and end up walking out with Sam Adams because I know I like that. I could buy another OCD(and may).

What's the Soulmate?

2. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Friend of Leo's

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    [​IMG]
    or...
    [​IMG]

3. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    So, what was it about the Rat you didn't like? Too ratty/not smooth enough?

Might be time to look into something like a Muff? I am just getting rid of a BBE Free Fuzz... it was too heavy for me, but had that big searing lead thing and even/non gated fuzz sound.

4. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    Maybe it was just me not intimately knowing the ins and outs of dialing it in, but all I heard out of a Rat was 1980s hard rock, aka Dokken, Sirius XM "Hair Nation," etc. Granted, it did that JCM 800 sound well, I just don't like that sound. And I've played the real things. I grew up in the 80s.

5. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Analog drive/boost multi from T Rex. I didn't suggest to you because it doesn't apply. I can say that to me the Overdrive (based on the Moller, which is sold separately) and the the Distortion (based on the Mudhoney, which is also sold separately) are excellent. The Distortion has a ton of clipping on tap.

[​IMG]
    Eliminated the "shiny new toy" syndrome for me. It's expensive to swallow at once but actually a great value (something like $80 a "pedal" at the discount retailers will do). No more wondering "X drive works for me but would Y be 1% better."

Seems to follow a general shift in my midset. Now if I find one beer I really like, just keep buying it.

6. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Tele-Afflicted

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Nope, just a Super Lead. I recall now also playing a JCM 800. Both were a one time thing for maybe ten or fifteen minutes. If The Barber DD sounded anything like those, then I would have sent it back.

I'm not a fan of amp distortion, with but a few exceptions.

7. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2010
    mojave desert
    Wampler Euphoria----I seldom use any type of OD or distortion, but that one pedal will do it all. Very transparent.

8. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS

I'd give you my HAO Rust Driver to try. Tad more compression than DD but not much.

9. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Meister

May 20, 2014
    Queens

If the OD250 isn't what you're after, I didn't understand the question.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.