Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Transparent medium+ OD

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bigben55, Oct 10, 2017.

1. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    I had a Dirty Bomb years ago, too noisy. I also had a custom shop Direct Drive-LG(low gain). THAT was a wonderful pedal I shouldn't have sold. May have been low gain next to the regular DD but had plenty for me. Never had the standard DD, I'll look into that one.

2. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    Just watched 4 videos of the Direct Drive Compact. THAT is a killer pedal, could be just what I'm looking for! The fact that I can switch it to the DD-LG mode makes it a safe bet for me, because I loved that pedal with a tele.

DaveKS likes this.

3. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Meister

May 27, 2014
    SE Michigan
    I have a Barber Compact Direct Drive B.U.S.S. Edition, it does good medium to high gain sounds. I am still learning how to set it. For a while I thought it was redundant with my Gain Changer, but now I'm finding it's own thing. I like the GC better for low gain/OD.

Also have a Dirty Bomb and it is fairly quiet. The other day I set it to match the low gain of my Snouse Black Box and was surprised at how close it got, not that I would use it for that.

4. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Tele-Afflicted

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    The new compact version has *BOTH* in one. The other great thing is they can be had for relatively little, new and even less used. I recommend the compact version, unless you want the bass and presence trim pots. Then get the original black box version.

5. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    It would appear the B.U.S.S. version is slightly different than the standard compact unit. I have the standard compact, and for one thing, it doesn't have a three position toggle for harmonics. I've never tried a Barber Super Sport, but I don't think I'd be willing to trade having the low gain setting for that. Time to buy another Barber pedal!

6. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    I agree, the GC sounded better for low gain. I'll get that from the amp though.

The amp is a Dr Z Z28. It has AMAZING overdrive. I can(and have, and WILL continue to) crank it up, plug right in and go from clean to mean via the guitar. But it also has fine cleans, and times where Ill want to set it clean and use a stompbox, for quick clean/crunch and back transitions, where the overall volume stays the same. I'm no Roy Buchanan so that's hard for me to be super accurate. Hence, the pedal. I also have a Fulltone FB3 for lead boosts, but need that base dirt for when I want to use pedals.

I've stayed away from "Marshally" pedals in the past. Had a few, didn't like them with Fendery amps/American speakers. The Z28 is brown Deluxe ish(kinda Marshally) with a Greenback. A Marshally pedal may sound great! Worth the gamble.

7. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    It's funny, I don't really get along with Marshall flavored pedals, except for the Blues Breaker. The DD doesn't really sound much like a Marshall to me. But maybe that's just 'cuz I don't have much experience with Marshalls. Played through a Super Lead once, that's the extent of my own understanding of a Marshall.

8. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

Sep 24, 2004
    Endicott, NY
    The MXR Il Torino does a very nice low-to-medium-gain OD.

It's also got separate Bass and Treble controls, so it's easy to dial it in to whatever EQ you need.

MilwMark likes this.

9. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    Good! I'm glad you think is doesn't! I've always been squarely in the Fender amp camp, and therefore like TS pedals for OD. The Z28 is it's own thing really. But read Barbers own description of the DD Compact, and he references multiple Marshalls in its voicing.

I have owned a few MIAB- type pedals(MI Crunchbox, Xotic SL drive, Guv'nor2+). None could kick my old Fulldrive2 off the board!

10. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    I could be wrong. There's a long, rich history of me and error! But, I gotta' say, the DD may be reminiscent of a Marshall, but it doesn't have the artificial aroma, and weird gritty qualities that almost every MIAB I've tried has.

If I'm wrong, feel free to denounce me publicly. I'll even put on a clown suit.

11. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    Virginia, USA
    Rat.

I have a Rat clone (a Mooer Black Secret). It really doesn't color the sound much at all... It can get brighter, and a little dark, but it doesn't do the TS thing at all, or add any weird frequencies. I use it a lot for that mid overdrive crunchiness (and when I want all out rock/cranked amp sound).

I like my Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret III as well. It is my high gain pedal for live use. It adds a bit of bite and a lot of crunch to my big bottle tweeds. Turns both my Bassman and HP Twin into Marshall Plexi sounding amps. I keep it set on the SuperLead setting.

My ZVex Distortron is much like the DLS on SuperBass mode. It has this cool mids switch that makes it super flexible and work with any guitar/amp combo! But, it is voices a little bit darker than the DLS (in SL mode as mentioned above).

I have a Tim and use it a lot of the time for as nice mild overdrive sound. But, when you step on the boost switch, it really livens things up. I will use this to really step out on solos and if I need that really dynamic ZZ Top style sound. But, I would not really consider the Tim/Timmy a higher gain overdrive pedal.

I have a Snouse Blackbox 2 and haven't gotten along with it, with my Tweed amps. I am, in fact, getting ready to sell it as I just haven't found a good use for it. As much as people fawn over it, I guess I need to try it live before totally giving up on it.

RetroTeleRod likes this.

12. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

Jun 7, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Yah, I like the Rat as a medium-to-heavy OD too. Set it hot and use your guitar volume as necessary. Good stuff.

13. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2017
    Port Arthur TX
    I say the Fultone Fuldrive2..its a great pedal...very transparent with a boost also....love mine and I am very funny about ODs..I generally hate them.

14. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Tele-Afflicted

Jun 30, 2008
    The Golden State
    EHX Crayon does it all and you can shape the tone with bass and treble controls. I hit it with a Mosky booster (clone of the Xotic EP) and it sounds fantastic. I play a Jazzmaster and Tele through a Blues Jr III (stock).

15. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    I have the best Fulldrive 2, a 1998 blue no mini toggle, push-pull comp cut model. It's been my #1 go to OD for 18 years. It, my 1993 G&L Legacy(that I've had just as long), and a BF Fender amp IS "my sound." I can't speak highly enough about my FD2. I've had well over 40-50 pedals over that 18 years, yet it's still #1.

But it's not transparent. It has that prominent TS type mid hump that makes it magic with a mid scooped BF/SF Fender amp. And it tops out at what is call medium gain. In front of a amp with full, girthy mids with a speaker of the same middyness, the FD2 can sound muddy. This Z28 is such a combo. Doesn't sound "bad," just not amazing. I need something with more gain and less mids.

That Barber is 1st on the list so far, but if I came across a good deal on an OCD, I'd take it and save a little longer for the Barber.

16. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    I've got both of those, and for a Marshall 800 sound from a Fender amp, the OCD is worlds better, for that, than either of those Boss pedals.

Just my opinion. Actually I tried some of these other pedals mentioned above, and for my playing, my amp, what I needed to do... there was nothing better for me, than the OCD.

Your mileage may vary, however, I'm only saying this, because some guys are acting like the OCD wont work or there are things so much better.... and in my case, that wasnt true.

17. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    I've never been a Rat fan. At least in the regular ProCo Rat, black pedal form. Folks say it can "do it all," but I don't necessarily want "it all." Is there a "better, more tweakable/shapeable" Rat I should look at?

18. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I think the OP said the OCD is not enough gain though. So I'm not sure what he's looking for because the OCD has a TON on tap.

Reading threads like these makes me so glad I went the Soulmate route. Need OD, stomp on the OD. Need distortion, stomp on the distortion. Need more, stomp on both. Need more volume, stomp on boost. Can't fret (pardon the pun) about what might be better and interchange. Just work with what's there and learn to dial it in (Incidentally, my band mates have never been more complimentary about my sound.).

19. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Have you played many Marshalls? Many have that "fakey"/fizzy/grittiness that sounds kinda "off" to Fender ears either at lower volumes or at high volumes in isolation. But add cymbals, bass, maybe another guitar and PA hiss and that artificial decay turns to beautiful, detailed, slicing highs without being piercing. I think the MIABs tend to nail that quality pretty well actually.

20. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2017
    Port Arthur TX
    I have an Joyo Ultimate drive lying around here somewhere...its sounds exactly like what the OP wants...they are as good or better than the OCD to me and more gain on tap. JMO

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.