Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Transparent medium+ OD

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by bigben55, Oct 10, 2017.

1. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    I'm in the market for one. Is there anything significantly better than the OCD? This pedal can't be a TS or TS derivative. It's for a Dr Z Z28, which has plenty of mids. With a Greenback. I have a boost, need a single OD with some gain to it, not a low gainer.

2. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Tele-Afflicted

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Sure, there's plenty that are significantly better. Boss OD-3, Barber Small Fry, Barber Direct Drive, anything Barber makes for that matter. Joyo British/American Sound, Joyo
    AC Tone.

I like the Barber Small Fry and DD. The compact DD goes from pretty heavy gain, to pretty mild with the gain switch. The Small Fry is able to do a large number of neat tricks, with all the gain you could want.

Rospo likes this.

3. funkysoul

funkysoul Tele-Meister

May 14, 2013
    greece
    joyo sweet baby. transparent mild overdrive slightly compressef. i use it to boost my 808 type od or my pussed amp.value for money

4. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Snouse or perhaps klone centaur

5. tonyv77

tonyv77 Tele-Meister

Mar 24, 2009
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Lovepedal OD11 works for me. Just be aware its got a ton of headroom. Too much really. Unity is around 9:00.

6. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Tele-Afflicted

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    This one's a fuzz, but I can verify that it is absolutely transparent:

radiocaster, waparker4, Iago and 2 others like this.

7. mitchfinck

mitchfinck Tele-Holic

Dec 7, 2015
    Stratford, Ontario
    DOD Looking Glass or MOOG MF-Drive can both be dialed in to be very transparent sounding and each also has a range of gain from imperceptible to full-on distortion.

8. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

May 12, 2013
    Fort Worth, Texas
    On my rig the medium OD roll is provided by one of the Pro Series Blue Notes. Extremely versatile and has a broad gain range. It is excellent in ALL of them. It is very transparent in the lower gain ranges and gets more focused as gain increases. I like this because It wont get lost in the mix at the higher gain settings. J Rockett says that EQ curve is by design and its extremely subtle and effective. It is never nasally and sounds like my rig, only angrier and thumpier in the medium gain settings. Great pedal for your description.

9. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    There are hundreds. And everyone's definition of "transparent" and "medium" is probably different.

For me it's hard to beat the good old Blues Driver. Lots of folks seem to use it for "cleanish" but I think it excels at medium gain.

SolidSteak likes this.

10. Iago

Iago Tele-Afflicted

Sep 18, 2006
    Brazil
    Timmy with gain set to the upper ranges is medium gain, IMO.

Still have to try the Blue Note, but
    I think either that or the Wampler Euphoria could be good options.

RetroTeleRod likes this.

11. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    Ive had a Timmy, great pedal and very transparent. I'm looking for a tad more gain than it has.

No mid hump. That's what I need. I look at a Timmy as being low to medium gain maxed out. Same with a Klone or TS. The OCD, Plimsoul and BB Preamp are all in the "medium+ gain level" I'm looking for. The Plim and BB have a bit more mids than I need tho. I do like the OCD(owned 2 over the years) but only liked it on L.P. mode.

12. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    +1

LOVE my Blue Note

4pickupguy likes this.

13. SolidSteak

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    I dunno, once you get into "medium gain" I can't think of a pedal I've tried that doesn't add some kind of character or EQ... the DOD Looking Glass and the Timmy are too low gain for what you want but very "transparent" so to speak. And like you said, the BB has more gain but more mids also, which you don't want...

I just bought a Caline Sandstorm distortion pedal that I like a lot. I think it adds less mids than a BB Preamp or tubescreamer-like pedals, but it's not what I'd consider "transparent." With the distortion knob at like 10:00 or less it does a good "medium gain," and with it down almost all the way it backs into more of a mild overdrive. It also cleans up a bit using the guitar's volume knobs. It's also hella cheap.

Or maybe you just need a distortion pedal with a 3-knob EQ?

4pickupguy likes this.

14. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Jun 19, 2009
    Nashville TN
    An OD 250 or Red Llama are hard to beat if you're looking for something with a minimum of "tone shaping." The 250 does have a bit of low cut that kicks in as you turn up the gain but, for me, that's useful.

You might also check out pedals like the Zen Drive or Small Fry that allow you to adjust the amount of low cut to your liking, as well as a tone control to roll off highs.

The BD-2 or OD-3 might also be a good call if you like what they do. I'm not crazy about the OCD but some of my friends swear by it.

W.L.Weller likes this.

15. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    Re: the Bd2 and od3, I'm not "anti Boss" at all. This board WILL have a TR2 and TU3 on it, already have them. But are either of those transparent and med+ gain? Or should I look at pro modded ones?

16. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Tele-Holic

Sep 11, 2016
    L.A.
    I agree that finding an OD with medium gain and transparent is not easy. But something that is close and not TS sounding is the previously mentioned ZenDrive. The voice control is great for dialing in anything from fairly flat to heavy mid scooped.

Also, they have a pretty low part count so if you're handy with a soldering iron you can build one pretty cheap and easy; less that $50 and under an hour to build. I've built one and I'll be putting together a second one this weekend.

17. SolidSteak

Apr 27, 2016
    USA
    The BD-2 is practically a fuzz pedal if you turn the gain all the way up! The OD-3 can get pretty crazy too IIRC.

18. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    OP said he needed gain, not a low gain device.

19. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    The OD-3 is pretty flat, mid wise. But it does have a very healthy low end. The BD-2 has quite a lot of gain on tap.

20. Endless Mike

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    Barber DD or Dirty Bomb then. Based on what you wrote here, almost everything mentioned here won't have enough distortion for you.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.