Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Trading my SG Standard for a Gibson Acoustic?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by WrayGun, Oct 1, 2017.

1. WrayGun

WrayGun Tele-Afflicted

May 5, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    So I have a gentleman who has offered to trade me his 1994 Gibson J-30 "Montana" for my minty 2010 SG Standard. Does that seem like a good trade, monetarily? I haven't found much info on this model, other than that it is supposedly a plainer looking Hummingbird with a longer (25.5") scale.

What do you think? The Gibby serial number is 90464028.

2. Old Tele man

Old Tele man Tele-Afflicted

May 10, 2017
    Tucson, AZ
    Gonna dump your amp too?

3. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

In similar condition probably close value wise. Seems like the decision is whether you want to trade electric for acoustic which is all up to you. Better check actual resale values to be sure; maybe somebody will post a Link, Wray. Sorry but I was just itching so bad to do that. Good luck if you follow through.

4. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    monetarily, it seems ok. But - you are trading a well-known quantity for something that is lesser well-known. Don't see too many J-30's around. Just from what I've seen, I would prefer the 90's Montana versions to the early 80's version.

IME, the Gibson flattops vary a whole lot - a few are exceptional and the rest maybe not so much. I had to play a whole lot of them to find the one I liked. Just my opinion.

You'd have to play this one in particular and see if it is something you like. Contrast that with: a lot of players are familiar with the SG.

5. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Is it in person? I would never acquire an acoustic I hadn't played. Could be great. Could be a dog. Moreso with acoustics Han electrics, IMO.

6. WrayGun

WrayGun Tele-Afflicted

May 5, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    No, not dumping the amp :)
    Still have my Telecasters, for getting loud.

7. WrayGun

WrayGun Tele-Afflicted

May 5, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yes, I would definitely be playing it first.

I have always wanted a good (at least decent) acoustic. Never had a great one. The SG plays like butter, stays in tune, nice and light ... not sure I'm an SG guy though. Whatever that means.

Oh, decisions, decisions ....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.