Trading labor for gear and/or items

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Mike Eskimo, May 20, 2019.

1. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I’m in the preliminary stages of trading various jobs for an amplifier.

1960 Fender Tremolux.

The buddy who owns it is on board maybe 50% at this point.

I’ve dealt with folks that need their hand held before so I’m not particularly doubtful at this stage.

He initially called me to help him sell some records online.

We did this before with some 50’s/60’s Jazz records that fell into his lap and we made a ton of money together.

This time it’s waaay more records that are worth way less.

But I constantly keep that ragged tweed beauty in my mind. He never plays it and complained about it only being good for one thing . In my mind if you’re complaining at all about that amp you don’t deserve to own it.

I then remembered that he has an equally ragged bathroom upstairs that could use some work. I’ve already done repairs but it really needs a total re-tile in the tub enclosure.

That sparked his interest .

I just told him we have to assign a value to everything that’s involved in the deal so that when we walk away from the thing, he has what he wants and I have what I want.

I also told him that he was lucky that I didn’t come over when his wife was home. Because I would’ve grabbed that amp and said -
    “Hey Leah, do you want a new bathroom and all you have to do is give me this raggedy old appliance?”

She would’ve then hit him in the back of the head and said we’re going to pick out tile right now.

Anybody else trade a service for gear ? How did it work out ?

Matt G, william tele and bender66 like this.
  2. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

I traded an hour of my labor (a big 3-4 hour job) for a Washburn acoustic guitar. It’s a decent axe and well worth it plus the client was happy with his “discount”

3. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I built some wooden step rails for a buddy in exchange for an Alverez ac/el.
    I really didn't expect him to give it to me, I was planning to do it for him anyway.

4. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I do web development, and I've been doing web sites for one of the bigger repair shops on LI, and their sister company - that designs and builds pro audio, specifically speaker cabinets.

They've had a bass cabinet in production for a couple of years, and at the end of last year they showed me their prototype guitar cabinet. I played through it and was positively knocked out. After a couple of months they called me to the shop for a meeting, where they offered to give me one of the prototypes in return for their web work.

Absolute no-brainer, and the best move I ever made gear-wise. With the Two Rock head, this is one of the best-sounding rigs I've ever owned. In this case, barter for work was a good move.

- D

5. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

No, I wont even trade service for service. Too many variables. I accept payment for what I do and spend that money on the things I want or need. I'm not even that fond of trading gear for gear.

colnago and E5RSY like this.
  6. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I used to work in a music store on weekends for store credit. That's how I got my '52 RI Telecaster.

7. SheldonP

SheldonP Tele-Meister

I did a custom lapsteel build and some minor guitar repairs for a buddy and got a '52 AVRI out of the deal.

8. stxrus

stxrus Friend of Leo's

I will not charge people in the trades (plumbers, electricians, plaster/tile) because sometimes I can use their help. I never put a price on work for them. Tit for tat

9. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

Ive done it for discount before on a guitar, close friend and its more just helping each other out. He wanted a pedal so I built him one, I wanted one of his guitars that he was attached to but never played. He got the pedal he was after and he gave me a very good price on that guitar. He needed a bit of cash to recover from one of his gear purchases and found some comfort that he knows that the guitar is still be well looked after.

With this friend its usually pedals for just drinks since Ive made him a few. I'm just happy to get some of my designs into the hands of a gigging musician.

10. Ducerro

Ducerro Tele-Meister

Traded computer work for a Squier Strat and a Silvertone amp once. Still have the guitar and the amp too. I think I probably had 3 hours of service work on the guys computer. At the time we charged $125 and hour for service, so he probably got the better deal. Of course with computer work most of the time is spent starting at the screen and waiting for updates to finish running.

11. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Tele-Afflicted

Back in 2013 I traded insulated glass and labor to install them for a '70 Gibson ES-335.

I got the approval from my boss to get the glass from work at cost and I did the 1 1/2 hrs. of work myself.

The glass for the job ended up costing me $165.

He owner of the guitar hadn't played it in years, and was more into acoustic guitar.

He owner had an idea what the guitar was worth, but he figured if he didn't have to spend the money on the work, he'd be able to use the money he saved on a new acoustic.

Here's a couple of pics of my '70 Gibson ES-335:

It's the one in the middle:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nightclub Dwight likes this.
  12. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Holic

I have a client that has several older acoustic instruments. She uses several of them for her vocation, but not all of them. She has a beautiful old Martin ukulele that I'd love to get my hands on some day. I'm still in the process showing myself to be worthy of its custodianship. I've done a few minor repairs for her on lower quality instruments. We haven't worked out any details, whether it be a barter arrangement, or something like Bones mentions where she pays me for work then I use the cash to buy the instrument from her. We'll see. We're not there yet, but I hope to make the deal some day. I'm patient.

13. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Sort of. I had a coworker about 8 years ago who's Mom had inherited a BUNCH of gear when her boyfriend passed away suddenly. I'm talking 2 brand new cream colored Marshall half stacks still in the boxes, 6 guitars in cases, tons of recording gear still in the boxes, etc. My house looked like Guitar Center for about a week while I had everything displayed for buyers. I had moved most of the stuff and had amassed a little over $5K cash for her so she told me to keep the rest, which included a Classic 60s Strat with case and about $500 of other gear that I can't recall at the moment.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.