Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

Trading gear at GC

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by tlsmack, Aug 12, 2017.

1. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Holic

Jan 20, 2007
    Lonk I-lant, New York
    I recently traded some gear at Guitar Center. I was curious about their discount policy. I thought I was going to get 10% off any new gear I trade for. Turns out , they only gave me 10% off one of the 3 items. The salesman had originaly told me 10% off the total, I am pretty sure of it.

Just curious what the actual policy is. The salesman insisted it is 10% off the most expensive item only.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017

2. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 17, 2006
    Back at the Beach
    That just sounds like a bad deal all the way around. Sorry JMHO

3. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    As I recall, it is 10% off of one item, but it was my wife that did that deal and it was quite awhile ago. GC seems to push for trade ins every once in awhile and maybe that is when they would do the discount on multiple items. I dunno, and I just realized that I didn't help you at all.:oops:

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2014
    Arivaca AZ
    Last time I traded in it was three items I traded in. I was under the impression I could get the discount on everything I bought , but that was about 3 years ago.

6. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 24, 2015
    west of I-10
    Just curious what the actual policy is.
    Asking for random opinions on an internet forum is certainly the best way to find out

MilwMark likes this.

7. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    Or we could just go to their website and take a gander.

Image2.jpg

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017

8. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    I had an amp that I was trying to sell last year, it sat on CL for months with nothing but super low offers coming in.

I brought it over to GC and was actually able to get pretty close to what I would have taken as an offer from the CL. Then with the 10% off a new amp, it was right there.

RLee77, Jakedog, dented and 1 other person like this.

9. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Meister

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    Aside from any discount they may give you on new stuff you buy after a trade in, I've been pretty impressed with how much GC has been willing to give me for used gear I didn't see much value in. I had about a 15 year old Ibanez LP type knock-off that I think I paid about $500 way back when. I looked up the model online and it was never much loved, only in production for a couple of years and replaced by a much more popular model, etc. I couldn't find one on CL or Ebay to value it, and I wasn't expecting GC to offer me more than about $100 for it - they gave me $250 against a used tele I was getting for $400, which I was REALLY happy with. I had a Taylor acoustic I paid about $500-600 for also about 15 years ago that was in need of having the neck re-set. They gave me $400 for it toward a Martin I was buying during one of their 15% off sales. And finally, just last week I took in a Backstar Fly stereo amp that usually retails for $100, but I bought on sale from them a few months ago for about $80 and they gave me $50 and then the 10% off of the item I was buying after the trade. In every case I thought their offers were more than fair and only slightly less than I'd have probably been able to get for them if I'd sold 'em myself. With exponentially less hassle. They've always seemed at least fair in what they offer on used gear. Now, granted, I take care of my stuff and my used gear is generally in really good shape in terms of no dents or dings. But still, I've been really pretty impressed...

-Ray

10. dented

Apr 17, 2006
    Back at the Beach
    I guess I never realized you could get a good deal that way. If I could get close to my CL price by trading in that would be fine. But also I usually get 15% off when I purchase large items anyhow. The last time I tried trading in an item they gave me such a low price. Maybe it was just the item, an old Silvertone amp....that I wish I still had. I blew out my garage full of amps 4 years ago when I moved. So I don't have anything there. Hmmmmm the only thing I want to get rid of now is a ?????????

11. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Friend of Leo's

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    At least at my local GC, the sales guys are always trying to stick it to you in some small way. Lowballing on trade-ins, slipping in a one year warranty, gouging you on a case to go with your new guitar. Pretty sure they work on commission. Gotta go over any transactions with a fine tooth comb. At least for me, trying to haggle always goes nowhere - "Let me check with my manager", 15 minutes later "That's the best we can do".

12. tlsmack

tlsmack Tele-Holic

Jan 20, 2007
    Lonk I-lant, New York
    With 10% off, not having to pay tax, and avoiding the hassles of less than sincere buyers and shipping issues, trading at GC was reasonable. I walked out with a Katana 50, a Tc Polytune 3, a Digitech Jamman Express, and $150 cash.
    Now that I understand the process, I will try to match up trade value with the new gear I want to take full advantage of the discount.

LutherBurger likes this.

13. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Aug 29, 2007
    MV, CA
    I just did some negotiating yesterday with GC on a new Les Paul. Here was my experience.

I had a Tele Deluxe 2012 and a 2008 SG both in almost excellent condition. One nick on the tele. So the price on ebay would be about $900 for the Tele and about the same for the SG. $1800 let's say. Subtract fees and shipping cost and you're down to $1500 profit plus the hassle of boxing and driving to UPS.

I had two guys that wanted to buy the guitars for the same amount, which was the best deal, but one of them wanted to give me $200 now and the rest in a few weeks. Time to find another buyer. But, if things work out I would get the full $1800 cash.

GC offered me $1350 for both guitars and knocked down the Les Paul $500. So it was about $150 less than going the ebay route. No shipping hassles, ebay fee bill, finding boxes etc. Seemed reasonable against an ebay approach.

So the moral to the story is find a local buyer to maximize your return. If you need to move it quick, GC is a close alternative to ebay but is the least profitable route.

MilwMark likes this.

14. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Tele-Afflicted

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    50-60% of the sold prices for recent transactions on eBay. That's what you can expect. Expecting some great price is a recipe for disappointment. They have to make money on it. The added 10% is a bonus, though it only applies to full price items.

It's all relative to the store, but the guy at my local store will often try to talk me out of a trade if he thinks it's a rotten deal. He did it last week on a Special 6 I tried to trade him. I took his advice and left with it.

I hate to do trade-ins, but the reality is that it's often very difficult to sell musical gear, even if it's decent stuff. There's a glut of gear for sale and I'd guess a solid 75% of potential buyers are either broke, teenagers, or both.

15. dented

Apr 17, 2006
    Back at the Beach
    I'm pretty sure if I live to 85 some of my guitars will live longer than 85 years. I have two over 60 years old already and you can pop them out of the case and play them. In other words good gear lasts a long time. Especially if you take care of it. So, what does GC do with all the traded in gear? I never see too much at my local. Do they wholesale it out to buyers if they take in too much or can't move it? I know I bought a used Tele from a Missouri GC online.

16. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

Aug 29, 2007
    MV, CA
    Here in SoCal they immediately put it out on the floor with a "available in 30 days" sticker on it. There is a 30 day wait period they have to honor to reduce moving stolen items claims. One can put it on hold however if you want to buy it in 30 days.

Understand, for a long time, the local employees had first shot at purchasing or putting on hold all incoming used gear. If you noticed the really good used gear disappearing from your local store about 5 years ago, there was a trend at least in this area, where guys would take a GC job to build up their arsenal of guitars, amps and pro audio gear. Some were snatching it up at just above cost and moving them sideways to make some money on the side. Inventory has been very low here for a long time however, I heard this week they are now prohibiting employees from this practice so you might start seeing more of the used stuff available to actual customers. We'll see.

dented likes this.

17. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Holic

Jun 25, 2016
    Midwest, USA
    In my experience, sometimes they're good, sometimes not. I traded 2 guitars for a better one before. I was happy.

But last week, they offered $150 for my squire cv to trade for a prs se singlecut.me

18. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Meister

Jun 17, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    You get your 50-60% on gear (I've only sold pedals) and 10% off any new item as long as the brand is not excluded. Many, many brands are excluded from the 10% policy. Pedal pricing is not an exact science there and I had one guy offer me almost twice what the another guy did a month earlier.

19. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    I've never traded at GC. Good to hear that it can be done without loosing your shirt.

I've had positive experiences trading at Music Go Round.....they always tell me that because 100% of their inventory is used their trade in math is better than when you trade your used stuff for another store's new stuff.

It sort of makes sense.

20. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    Take a guitar you have to Music go round, see what they offer, then head across town to GC, see who offers more. I don't think having 100% used stuff means you can work retail on less margin, but I may be missing how it works.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.