Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Trading fun (NGD, Alvarez AAT-33)

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by dannew02, Sep 23, 2017.

1. dannew02

dannew02 Friend of Leo's

Apr 2, 2010
    Erin Prarie, WI
    Ok , I just got THIS
    IMG_1924.JPG
    It's a recent Alvarez ES-335 copy.
    http://alvarezguitars.com/guitar/aat33wnt/
    I've wanted a nice 335 for a long time. I had a guitar teacher with a 70's walnut 335 with the "Gibson" embossed pups, and I remember it sounding good, and I dug the look and how it played. Of course a REAL one is way out of my price range, and the Aria/Lyle/Epi Franken-335 I have isn't quite the same...
    Anyway I had a PRS I got in trade a while ago, it was nice (and looked great) but I just didn't play it often. I seemed to pas it up for other stuff 98% of the time, so I'd been looking for something else to replace it with. My work hours changed again, so I have time before work to check out guitar stores again. This guitar caught my eye right away- its walnut, the neck is nice and big (my Aria feels like a pencil in comparison) and the finish is nice and glossy without the "dipped in plastic" feel a lot of others in my price range. I'd tried Peavey JF-1's, Epi Dots, a Stagg, and a couple Ibanez'es. None of those really "spoke to me", but the Alvarez just felt GREAT as soon as I picked it up. Fat neck, nice finish, real close copy shape, it's all good. This has "Duncan Designed" pups so it sounds fine as it is-the neck pup isn't "muddy" at all, and the bridge sounds good. Of course I want to mod it, because it's a sickness! But there really isn't a NEED, everything on here is good as is.
    IMG_1896.JPG
    IMG_1919.JPG
    I didn't know these were out there, I hadn't heard of them or seen one before running into this one. A good friend has an Alvarez "Hummingbird" copy that I've been trying to buy off him for a couple decades (and he says is going in his coffin when he passes, its THAT good) and pretty much all the other Alvarez'es I've handled have felt top-notch, so I wasn't worried about this one.

2. dannew02

dannew02 Friend of Leo's

Apr 2, 2010
    Erin Prarie, WI
    So the trading "stream" went like this:
    Pile-0-strat partscasters (like 7 or 8 by the end, and I don't have pics of them all)
    All parted out and the $ went for THIS:
    IMG_1927.JPG
    Ibanez RC-365H. I rewired it and added a "Twisted Tele" neck and a Gibson P94 bridge. It sounded fine, but the neck was too small. (And I should have just gotten a Warmoth boat-neck and kept this, but I thought I was done with projects so I traded it for THIS
    IMG_1931.JPG
    91 LP Studio Lite (the hollow one with Basswood in the middle) I fixed the neck break, got a set of SD "Whole Lotta Humbuckers" and did 50's wiring, (and all nickel hardware) and realized I'm just not an "LP guy". I LOVE the way they sound, other people can play 'me great, but I just can't get on with them. (Plus mine had a skinny neck, totally unlike the "59 shape" I'd played on a Dr friends "R9" or whatever his $$$$$$ reissue was) So... I traded it for THIS
    IMG_1932.JPG
    A PRS Semihollow P90 (uh... or something. I can't remember what model it was, it had some strange name) This one needed a bridge, and all new wiring. The guy I got it from had put some $$$$ boutique pups in it, that I sold for stupid amount of $, way more than enough to replace everything else it needed. This one played and sounded fine, and stayed in tune better than most of my other guitars, but I seemed to prefer my Squier Tele over it. So.... I was at a GC and they had THIS
    IMG_1929.JPG
    A 79 Ibanez ST-200. It was kind of rough, and was missing the original electronics, but just felt so right while playing it. They wouldn't let me put it on hold or lay-away or whatever (and I didn't have enough $ to just buy it then), and of course by the time I came back with my trade bait (and CC) someone else had scooped it up. So when I saw the Alvarez I knew I had to jump on it! I really want to leave it alone, and just PLAY it... but we'll see about that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.