Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Trade up from JV Strat to Am Standard?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by mpfef, Feb 2, 2013.

1. mpfef

mpfef TDPRI Member

So, I am hearing such good things about the 2012 American Standards I've actually got my 2006 Jimmie Vaughan Strat up on Craigslist. I played it some today and now I've got second thoughts.

The reason I put it up to begin with is that I've always wanted an American Strat, and I really like satin-finished necks anyway. I'm not a big fan of the glossy soft-v neck on the JV strat. My other favorite guitar is a partscaster with a satin finish C-shaped neck, much like the American Standard Strat.

I have heard some complaints about the bridge pickups on the American Standards being a little thin. I guess I'm looking for opinions as to how much of an upgrade it would be to go from a 2006 Jimmie Vaughan Strat to a 2012 American Standard?

Thanks.

2. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

I'm a little bit confused all the JV's I've played have had satin necks.

I think the pickups in the Am Std are a step up from the Tex Mex's.

The two point trem I think is smoother than the six point.

I think everything about the Am Std is a slight step up from the JV with the exception of the tuners and you get strap locks with the JV.

3. mpfef

mpfef TDPRI Member

I bought the JV used, it's possible the neck is glossier now than when it was new just from being played, but there's definitely a glossiness to the neck now.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

I've had a couple of JV Strats, both had gloss finish on the necks.
    I really like the feel of the neck on the JV, but the newer Am Stds have nice necks too.

Just depends on what you like the best , both are nice guitars.

6. Wileyone

Wileyone Tele-Holic

Sorry but I thought JV was Japanese Version.

7. Stratburst

Stratburst Friend of Leo's

You can't hang onto the Jimmie Vaughan and get the Am Std?

8. AlexEP

AlexEP Tele-Meister

I've tried a couple of Am Std but they weren't nothing special...A/B with a Classic 70 there's has been no history, the MIM has come with me at home ;)

So, my 2ç are: if you want to change, buy the one you like :)

9. YoGeorge

YoGeorge Tele-Holic

You can degloss the neck in about 30 seconds with Scotchbrite. I don't like the thin necks on Am Standard strats or teles at all, but they are nice guitars for sure. Scotchbrite won't give you the risk of steel wool fragments sticking on your pickups and will break the gloss very quickly. Don't overdo it.

The JV, if you are into it for cheap, is a great player strat. I don't think the Am Standard pickups will be "better" so much as "different". I have a Road Worn tele with Tex Mex pickups and I really LIKE the pickups.

Good luck,
    George

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.