Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Trade my 58' AV neck for a 52' ???

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by TeleToTheRain, Oct 6, 2017.

1. TeleToTheRain

TeleToTheRain Tele-Holic

Feb 25, 2012
    in a van by the river
    Thinking about it... glad I went 58' even though I prefer a beefier neck, flat poles, and brass saddles because there's just something about that white blonde I can't shake. I'm sure calling her Marilyn is not original but oh well! I may go blackguard and have it look like a 54' transition guitar.

Anyways....

Do you think this would substantially kill resale? Wonder if any 52' owners would even go for it... most of em seem to like those baseball bats.

Just pondering. I do have a sweet figured Musikraft neck but it's finished in satin Tru-Oil and I don't want to put a Fender logo on it. Just seems like it doesn't pair well withe the 58'

2. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    I have to ask ... I don't get it ... didn't you just buy the 58 that arrived you a couple of hours ago and already thinking about swapping the neck, and possibly the pickups ? o_O

Im not sure that you'll be able to find someone who will trade the 52 neck, usually people get the 52 mainly for the beefier neck, i wonder why you didn't get a 52 directly.

From what you're writing, you don't like the color, the neck and the pickups .... so the whole guitar basically ..

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    MilwMark and 10thoufirst like this.

3. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Can you return it?

It sounds like you really want a 52

4. deadbeat son

deadbeat son Tele-Holic

Apr 5, 2010
    Evergreen, CO
    The color is the only thing he DOES like, and it's why he went with the 58.

brogh likes this.

5. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Return and build a partscaster. MJT and others make beautiful white blonde bodies. Allparts has Fat Tele necks that are great. Duncan makes wonderful pickups. No need to take a guitar where price and desirability is driven by brand and accuracy to a particular year's model, and then devalue it by swapping away everything that makes it that particular model and no longer a Fender. Though I guess I don't get the mentality of buying a guitar worried about resale anyway.

hrstrat57, heffus and rich815 like this.

6. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

Jun 19, 2009
    Nashville TN
    Save the '58 neck and any other parts you swap out so you can change it back to stock for re-sale.

7. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Apr 10, 2015
    Italy and Switzerland
    I also want a “’54”: blackguard tone and neck, whiteguard looks. The thing I am doing is to source a used ’52 (not difficult…) and to consider, in case, swapping the body to a MJT or refinishing IF and only if after some time having the guitar I decide that it’s a keeper and that I want that whiteguard look badly enough.

In your shoes, and from what you say, I’d send back the ’58 and get a ’52. If that’s still an option.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017

8. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    was 100% sure it meant that he doesn't like that one too, thanks for clearing it up !

9. Rufustelestrats

Rufustelestrats Tele-Meister

Stratosphere has the 52 neck for $700

hrstrat57 likes this.

10. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Holic

Nov 21, 2016
    Rhode Island
    Buy a 52 AVRI neck and bolt it on.

As said above keep the 58 neck for resale

You'll have a Fender partscaster with retaining the ability to restore to orig.....

Agree tho appears partscaster was best choice for OP

brogh likes this.

11. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Meister

Mar 6, 2016
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I too like the Vintage White but the fat neck was more important to me. Not a fan so much of Fender's light Butterscotch Blonde which is more like yellow but I went with a new AV '52 and couldn't be happier. That being said, if you don't want or can't return the '58, your only other option is available from the Stratosphere...$700 for an AV '52 neck with tuners or $640 for neck only.

12. TeleToTheRain

TeleToTheRain Tele-Holic

Feb 25, 2012
    in a van by the river
    wow, it's kinda funny how these things go... but guess I should have expected it. Thanks for all the replies, I'm sorry to those who were a bit confused by what I wrote.

This 58' has a beautiful white blonde body (very thin lacquer has begun to shrink and age) that's very lightweight, don't mind the pickups, have Glendale saddles and a black pickguard (if the mood strikes) in the parts bin. I have two very sonically different partscasters and a few customs I built already. Very confident with my decision to get the 58' and I want this one to be mostly Fender whether it's technically a partscaster or not doesn't bother me, I just want Fender on the headstock. As I said, I have a Musikraft neck it just doesn't "match" the rest of the guitar.

Swapping necks still seems cool since this'll be a keeper and I got it at a killer price, but maybe I'll just buy a 52' neck if I can't find anyone to swap with. I could EASILY part the whole thing out for more than I spent should I ever need to, but don't plan on it.

Thanks guys

13. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Meister

Mar 6, 2016
    Hudson Valley, NY
    +1 Now go give The Stratosphere a call. And throw that black pickguard and Glendale saddles on it too.

14. TeleToTheRain

TeleToTheRain Tele-Holic

Feb 25, 2012
    in a van by the river
    Went to GC and played a 52' for a while and it felt nice but a bit thick. I've had thicker but it's been a while since I went through that phase.

I did find a 52' from 16/17' though for get this..... $900!!! (not much more than what Stratosphere wanted for just a neck so had to pull trigger). Will be here Thurs! I'll play them each for a while and see what sticks. may wind up making a "partscaster" who knows. I definitely don't plan on keeping both 52 and 58.

hdvades likes this.

15. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Jul 15, 2013
    Europa
    Hehe .. That is a question only you can answer. Taste is a personal thing. If you prefer the 52 neck then go for it!

Personally I much prefer the 58 neck, so I'd never consider it .. tho I might put a 58 neck on a 52ri :D

16. TeleToTheRain

TeleToTheRain Tele-Holic

Feb 25, 2012
    in a van by the river
    Who knows, I might wind up doing that!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.