Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Trade Advice - Fender Super Six Reverb

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by bparnell57, Jan 13, 2018 at 9:28 PM.

1. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    Hey guys! Asking for some advise.

I have a 1973 Fender Super Six Reverb combo in awesome condition, that's been recapped, with fresh tubes, and original cone CTS alnico 10's.

I was offered a mint Vox AC30CC2 and $400 cash for the Super Six.

I have a beat up AC30CC2 with upgraded alnico golds, that I'd like to swap speakers and road case with the mint one, and sell. I'd end up with a mint AC30CC2 with alnico golds and road case. I'd likely mod the amp some.

I have a late 70's twin cab with speakers in it for the Super Six, but that's not part of the deal.

I kept the Super Six over my 66 blackface twin, because it sounded better. It's the best fender Combo I've ever played though, but weighs 90 pounds and rarely gets taken out. Drowns out the bassist I jam with with the bass and volume on the Super Six on 3.

I'm pretty covered for EL84 based amps:
    -Maz 38 2x12
    -working on a 2x12 36 watt marshall/trainwreck build

Also pretty covered for loud and clean:
    -Mesa Boogie Mark III combo with Altec
    -1976 Ampeg VT-22 with factory Altec's
    -pair of Fender 400 PS amps with custom 3x12 column cabinets. 970 watts of tube power driven by stereo Bassman Bass Channel and Twin Reverb Vibrato Channel preamps.

Opinions?

1515896794204.jpg

1515896765405.jpg

Thin69 and JustABluesGuy like this.

2. Snfoilhat

Snfoilhat Tele-Meister

Apr 8, 2016
    Oakland, CA
    The CC2 is one of the modern Voxes, right? Those will be attainable for as long as they are in production and longer. FWIW, my advice is to think to the future. I may be wrong, but I have read a few of your threads over the years, and I think you are 1) young 2) have a Hammond organ and a bunch of other large, vintage gear?

You could run a venue, or a studio, or a rehearsal space, or a music-focused community center, or some hip amalgam of business models yet to be determined, and have really valuable and unique contributions to music-making on a bigger scale than what we commonly use in small jams or in tiny show venues.

By some folks' lights, he AC30 is 'too big' for just jamming with a friend on bass. Seems like a net loss. YMMV

charlie chitlin and moosie like this.

3. aerhed

aerhed Tele-Holic

Dec 24, 2016
    Boulder, WY
    I'm seeing an unholy back line for blues festivals. Dr. Watts Inc.

beyer160 and bparnell57 like this.

4. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    A Super Six with two 10's and a 15" JBL would be my dream amp. That is, if I was half my age and had a van. If you can't use it, pass it on to someone who can. I don't know if I'd trade it for a Chinese made Vox though.

Sorry. Not much help here.

Jakedog and bparnell57 like this.

5. bparnell57

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    I appreciate your viewpoint. I hope to run a small analog or limited track digital studio out of a future home someday, being supportive of local and distant bands of all sizes. It's all about the music, and I'm an amp tech and businessman at heart. Keeping the music alive is the only hope for this gear to ever get appreciated.

Very fair to say the AC30 would be too big for the jams. It's generally 2-3 guitarists, a bassist, and drummer, in a small studio I manage at my school's well known Music Industry degree program, but I'm a big fan of Vox.

I kind of need the space. Having a workbench, 46" rolling tool chest with top box, two 3 foot wide shelving units full of parts, and not one, but TWO Hammond B3's, plus a 450 pound stereo 400PS setup, is a bit taxing on a college apartment. It may be storage unit time.

Good point about the AC30 being available. I may never see another Super Six this clean. I see AC30's for under $700 all the time.

6. bparnell57

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    Oh, and I'm 20 Btw hahaha. If you see my post in the "how many amps do you own" thread you may be shocked by what I've acquired through trading. Always keep people happy.

pondcaster and Jakedog like this.

7. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Holic

Feb 13, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    My opinion: Keep the Super. Since you already have a Vox to work with, and a few amps that are more portable, I'd stay with what you have.
    Keep in mind that you are not going to see another Super like that for sale, maybe ever. I never have.
    Don

bparnell57 likes this.

8. David Barnett

David Barnett Poster Extraordinaire

If it were a Korg/Marshall AC30 I'd go for it, but not for another CC2.

bparnell57 likes this.

9. bparnell57

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    What do you guys think is fair street value on the Super Six? I've had it sitting for a while at $1100 OBO. Is it worth more intrinsically considering it's rarity?

10. Snfoilhat

Snfoilhat Tele-Meister

Apr 8, 2016
    Oakland, CA
    My best friend has played in bands since she was in college [Music Electronic Technology(??) degree--I can't remember], and was a promoter for DIY music out east where we met, continued to do events, play in bands, run a small sound company, etc, since we moved to the West, and now, at 37 years old, is finally opening a small venue next month. All of this is rad news, and there's nothing to complain about, but I think of all the cool stuff that has passed through our hands for lack of a place to put it, or that seemed to have run its course and was no longer useful (like my giant Ampeg bass rig). Just that it's wasteful to have to rebuild.

Edit to offer actual advice, not just maunder on about my life:rolleyes:

I would pull the chassis from the Super Six and put it in a Twin Reverb head shell, and put the cab and speakers in storage with the organs, the extra PS400, and whatever other madness doesn't fit in the living space for the time being.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018 at 10:53 PM
    bparnell57 likes this.

11. Rialto1564

Rialto1564 Tele-Meister

Jun 12, 2013
    Metro Detroit
    That Super makes my Twin look like one of the new micro amps...

bparnell57 likes this.

12. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Well, so far, it hasn't been worth $1000 to anyone. Because they'd certainly toss you the offer if it were.

You want to dump it because you need the space? For something better? What could be better?

I know the tone you speak of, and it's too amazing to just get rid of, especially for a cheaply made current production amp.

"Large amp seeking a good home. Won't eat much, great voice. Can be used as table, or space heater."

If you can get it to CT, it can stay here as long as it likes. :twisted::)

AlbertaGriff and bparnell57 like this.

13. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    What's the CC2 worth as a mint CC2X? $450-500? You never get the full value of upgrades like speakers.

I think your Super should be worth double that for originality. Just MO. It'd want to be an English Vox with Blues plus couple $hundred.

moosie likes this.

14. bparnell57

Feb 10, 2014
    Philadelphia, PA
    I've never seen a CC2 under $600 in mint condition, and I've never seen a CC2X for under $700 regardless of condition.

If I could get a British AC30 with blues and cash, I'd be on that deal tomorrow.

15. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 12, 2011
    Snellman MN
    A Super Six is just the same year SFTR in a taller heavier cab with 6-10"s. Is it worth more than a SFTR, that's worth not a heck of alot today? Probably not, it's bigger, heavier and looks louder. Rarer yes but most people don't want bigger, heavier and looks louder today.
    Personally I would've bought one a few months ago, with CTSs for 500 bucks but the guy didn't respond to me off his CL ad till I was a couple hundred miles away. I wouldn't pay much more then that and wouldn't drive too far to get one.
    Oh wait CTS alnicos are with big money.
    Yeah right ! Try to sell them, you'll learn the difference between "internet prices" and what stuff really sells for.
    And hey, I love Twin Reverbs and CTS alnicos!

Now would I trade an SS for a Chinese Vox ? No freaking way ! :) Why those AC30s are worth more than $250 used I'll never know. Let's face it they're big, loud, heavy and MADE IN CHINA!
    But ultimately that decision is your's.

moosie likes this.

16. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

Oct 1, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I’ve seen a few of these for sale locally on Craigslist this past year for $900 or less. Hard enough to sell a Super Reverb, people say they are too big.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018 at 4:15 PM

17. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

18. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 17, 2003
    Spring City, Pa
    Bry! Store it at my place. I promise it'll never make it down from the 2nd storey gear closet unless YOU move it.
    The way things are going, value is inverse to size.
    It's probably worth the same as a TR because it has so many great speakers, but what if you use them for a SR and a VR...then you have a giant thing with no, or aftermarket speakers.
    Would make a great coffin for a really short guitar player.
    Really, though...keep it forever or until you find the right buyer.
    Few will appreciate it like you do.

19. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    It would take the right buyer and as has been mentioned, big heavy loud amps are not much in vogue these days.
    I'd say trade it for something you can use or resell easier, not the Vox though.

bparnell57 likes this.

20. CoyotesGator

CoyotesGator Tele-Meister

Jul 12, 2014
    Gulf Coast
    You just don’t see many that are as nice as yours.

Mine looks like it fell out the back of a moving pickup.

It was definitely on fire at some point in its life.

Would I get rid of it?

Heck no, it sounds like heaven.

bparnell57 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.