Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Trade a J-30 for D'Angelico?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by WrayGun, Oct 6, 2017.

1. WrayGun

WrayGun Tele-Afflicted

May 5, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    So a guy wants me to trade my well-used 1994 Gibson J30 acoustic for his pristine D'Angelico Excel.

It's a beautiful piece of wood, but I'm not sure it would be an even trade. Thoughts?

(And thanks for always counseling me on trades!)

2. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    Looks like a used J30 of that era is worth 60 % the new price of the other; so for s/h it's a wash. Up to you I think. Depends if any sentimental or other value.

3. WrayGun

WrayGun Tele-Afflicted

May 5, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks. I went for the D'Angelico. It's beautiful and sounds great. Guitars these days are better than ever ... it's a golden age of guitar building technology!

By the way, what does "s/h" mean?

4. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    What what what???

Oh, not a D'Angelico D'Angelico.
    Whew...

kafka likes this.

5. WrayGun

WrayGun Tele-Afflicted

May 5, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hmm, don't know what this means...

6. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    The originals. Newer ones are made by company that bought the name. If it part of FMIC?

7. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    John D'Angelico built D'Angelico guitars in his small NYC shop with two assistant apprentices from the '30s to his death in the '60s.
    One of his apprentices was Jimmy D'Aquisto, the next eras master builder and innovator of archtop Jazz guitars.

Now the name D'Angelico is owned by someone who does not make guitars.
    The Excel might be made in Korea by Samick, and is a fine guitar AFAIK.

You could say the same about Fender and Gibson I guess.

I'm most familiar with the originals, and the closest I got to owning one was a guitar built in the D'Aquisto shop presumably by one of his apprentices.

I kind of freaked when I saw that someone wanted to trade an old D'Angelico for an old Gibson. D'Angelico built D'Angelicos sell for $20-30k.

8. telemnemonics

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Fender built a Jimmy D'Aquisto model archtop, not sure if they bought the D'Angelico name though.
    Hagstrom also built a D'Aquisto model archtop in Sweden, wish I still had mine. Traded it for a pedal steel. Ha ha.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.